• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Status Flagship ANC Review (Headphone)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Status Flagship ANC Noise Cancelling headphone. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $179 on Amazon including Prime shipping.

I have a soft spot, pun intended, for rubberized paint that covers the Flagaship ANC:
Status Flagship ANC Review Headphone Noise Cancelling.jpg

I am not a big fan of gesture controls but that is what you have here. Voice feedback is provided for actions which helps. Turning up the volume for example requires brushing up on one of the cups.

This is a light headphone although the price for that is is rather small pads:
lightest noise cancelling headphone review.png

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was very tricky. The pads are ultra soft and you can easily deform them and have them hold their shape that way. This made relatively large differences from bass all the way up to almost 1 kHz.

Status Flagship ANC Measurements
With ANC headphones, we need to first establish if we are going to test them wired off or wired on as the latter can invoke DSP and change the response:

Status Flagship ANC Measurements On and Off Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

As you can see, that is the case here with red color indicating the headphone being on. In this mode, it hugs are preference curve well. Without it, it is a disaster. So for follow on test, I left the unit on. I also played with the mounting to get rid of that resonance at 30 Hz:

Status Flagship ANC Frequency Response Measurements Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

I also fiddled with the level fair bit to reduce the amount of equalization we have to perform. Net results puts a smile on my face with respect to amount of bass available. :) We are just missing some energy around 2 to 5 kHz. Here is our relative curve for equalization purposes:

Status Flagship ANC Relative Frequency Response Measurements Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

Being in active mode, it is easy to overdrive the unit, or cause its amplifier to clip:
Status Flagship ANC Relative THD vs Frequency Response Measurements Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

The main issue of concern is the peaking around 4 kHz which unfortunately is the area we need to boost:

Status Flagship ANC Distortion THD vs Frequency Response Measurements Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

Group delay shows us one key information: the amount of pipeline delay:
Status Flagship ANC Group Delay Frequency Response Measurements Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

Impedance when on is a reasonable middle of the road 150 ohm:
Status Flagship ANC Impedance Measurements On and Off Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

Without it as noted, it will drop to 30 some ohm so a very different animal. I only measured sensitivity when on which naturally is good:

Most sensitive ANC Headphone Review.png

So should be easy to drive with many sources.

Status Flagship ANC Listening Tests and Equalization
I started listening with the headphone off and it was horrific. I immediately turned it on and man, what a transformation! If I had not attempted to EQ it, I have called it right and be done with it. But still, we always need to verify measurements by applying EQ to deficiencies and see if we like the result better:

Status Flagship ANC Equalization EQ Headphone Noise Cancelling.png

At first I put in two filters, the one above and a much narrower one after it. That made the headphone too bright so I ditched the second one. With this one filter, the sound was now more open and lighter which I like.

Once there, the experience was super nice. I could once again get may ear lobes to resonate which is a tall order for ANC headphones. Sit back down... I only do that for a second to see if the headphone clips or not. And the Flagship ANC did not.

On distortion, I thought the highs were a tad gritty. Whether this is my imagination or manifestation of what we measured, I can't tell you.

There is a bit of spatial qualities here there but not much.

Testing the ANC functionality, it allowed about 10% of the fan noise from my Audio Precision in. Best in class ANCs are dead quiet. It is good enough though.

Conclusions
What a pleasure to see a budget priced noise cancelling headphone have proper bass and matching to most of our preference curve out of the box. The little bit that it is missing you could do without if you don't have EQ. But if you do, it does improve things. We are just a hair away from excellence here, mainly due to a bit of distortion in highs which I perceived.

I am happy to recommend the Status Flagship ANC when powered on.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Status Flagship ANC Frequency Response.zip
    25.2 KB · Views: 154

Chester

It’s appearance is very similar to the Sony noise cancelling range. I see why they do it but whenever a manufacturer does that, my mind assumes ‘cheap knock off’ and poor quality. In some cases doing them a disservice.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -4.0 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 2374 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 2.0
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Good morning from the U.K.

Thanks once again for yet another great review, but I have a question for you @Amir.

Why haven’t you tried to eq-out the excess sub-bass? It’s almost 10dBs above Harman; a target never knowingly accused of being bass-lite in the first place.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks like close to spot on down to 30 Hz.
Which is as far as you need to go for music

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey, this things looks surprinsingly good. Any feedback on the ANC quality? I am already looking for a replacement of my slowly deprecating Bose QC 35 Gen 1.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I guess this answers my question in another thread of whether we can electronically make headphones follow the curve.

As you can see, that is the case here with red color indicating the headphone being on. In this mode, it hugs are preference curve well. Without it, it is a disaster. So for follow on test, I left the unit on.

The jaggies are still pretty horrid tho.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yeh, stuff I have had from years back turn into horrible sticky messes.

It's evil stuff. Keyboards, mice, cameras, lenses, torches, you name it. I reckon it's a deliberate obsoletion tactic. We know the synthetic rubber will go sticky in time and revert to the petrochemical ooze it came from as those unstable molecular bonds fall apart.

I spent hours removing it from older Nikon DSLR bodies and they have been perfect ever since. Prior, I couldn't even touch them.

MiqaFox

Forum Donor
First post, thanks for this place Amir. It's an incredible resource.

I preordered these when they came out. Ended up returning then. Posted some thoughts on r/headphones if anyone wants more details about them. Like that the pads are glued in and not easily replaceable.
I'm think you get more for your money if you pay slightly more for similar offerings from Sony or Bose. Though I have no personal experience with either.

Archsam

It's evil stuff. Keyboards, mice, cameras, lenses, torches, you name it. I reckon it's a deliberate obsoletion tactic. We know the synthetic rubber will go sticky in time and revert to the petrochemical ooze it came from as those unstable molecular bonds fall apart.

I spent hours removing it from older Nikon DSLR bodies and they have been perfect ever since. Prior, I couldn't even touch them.

I have the same problem with rubberized paint on a Cambridge Audio remote control. How do you remove it? Do you use solvent or just a lot of rubbing?

XpanD

Forum Donor
I have the same problem with rubberized paint on a Cambridge Audio remote control. How do you remove it? Do you use solvent or just a lot of rubbing?

I've used isopropyl alcohol with decent results on computer mice and controllers, though that did require a LOT of rubbing to get it all off. Kinda curious if there's a better solution, it's a pain to do and it's easy to miss a spot.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review (merci ;)
I just wonder how effective is their NC compared to Bose ?
I mean 10% improvement over fan noise is a hint, but it may be fruitful to lay down a real scale and compare likewise the other NC's in the future.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks once again for yet another great review, but I have a question for you @Amir.

Why haven’t you tried to eq-out the excess sub-bass? It’s almost 10dBs above Harman; a target never knowingly accused of being bass-lite in the first place.
Don't go by the first graph as that peak was hugely positional dependent. The second measurement shows it to not be there at all:

index.php

As you see, now it is dead on down to 30 Hz.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just wonder how effective is their NC compared to Bose ?
I mean 10% improvement over fan noise is a hint, but it may be fruitful to lay down a real scale and compare likewise the other NC's in the future.
That requires completely different test setup to characterize. If I were reviewing ANC headphones every day, it would be worth investing in but with just a handful to test, it doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom