• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

State-of-the-Art Loudspeakers

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't @Thomas savage have some Vivid speakers with recurring Tweeter issues or am I mixing that up with someone else in the forum?

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Didn't @Thomas savage have some Vivid speakers with recurring Tweeter issues or am I mixing that up with someone else in the forum?
He did indeed, which is why I’m providing another view
I’m pretty sure Thomas really likes his Vivids when they work though!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Mine still work, iv not had any issues for ages.

The B1 is actually my favourite vivid speaker but you really need to have a sub or two and relive that bass mid driver of low frequency duties. Maybe using something like that trinnov ST2 .

I probably should of done that rather than buying the G3.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Not my experience. My Vivd B1s were serviced by Laurence Dickie, the designer, himself, and he came to my flat to fine tune. OK, it helps I’m in the U.K., like him.
Obviously, others have had a different experience, but I’d like to provide a positive data point.
Hes been to my house half a dozen times or more I reckon.. not for social reasons.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are amazing when they work indeed. My D50 has, apparently, arrived. Not picked it up yet. Not going to comment in public about the distributor either ;)

It's a bit like driving a first gen Ferrari Modena 360 though. Exhilarating until oil spills on the back window. ;)

IMG_20190122_202512.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They are amazing when they work indeed. My D50 has, apparently, arrived. Not picked it up yet. Not going to comment in public about the distributor either ;)

It's a bit like driving a first gen Ferrari Modena 360 though. Exhilarating until oil spills on the back window. ;)

View attachment 20674
Id have a good look round the bass drivers for unstuck rubber.. careful putting the D50 in don't stick your finger in the tweeter or indeed damage the new driver lol

They are a nightmare.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor

View attachment 20674
What colour are they?!

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was originally behind the idea of this thread. Hi guys, new here. Been around on other forums too.

I currently own JBL 4367 and was hoping to upgrade and was contemplating what could better this quite amazing pair of loudspeakers. I initially asked the OP what he thought about Wilsons and Avantgarde and he seems to be steering me away from those. Definitely going to steer away from Wilsons but Magico seems neat.

Budget is 25k+ but I'm okay spending around double that if the speaker is worth it. I was also seriously considering the Avantgarde Duo XD as I heard the Duo Mezzo at a local enthusiasts place and it was amazeballs.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was originally behind the idea of this thread. Hi guys, new here. Been around on other forums too.

I currently own JBL 4367 and was hoping to upgrade and was contemplating what could better this quite amazing pair of loudspeakers. I initially asked the OP what he thought about Wilsons and Avantgarde and he seems to be steering me away from those. Definitely going to steer away from Wilsons but Magico seems neat.

Budget is 25k+ but I'm okay spending around double that if the speaker is worth it. I was also seriously considering the Avantgarde Duo XD as I heard the Duo Mezzo at a local enthusiasts place and it was amazeballs.

The JBL 4367 is a "domesticated" M2. It's your money, but you might just wind up with a different flavor for $25 large. That's the problem with this hobby. It isn't hard to reach a point where improvement is nearly impossible at any price.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think Wilsons have many fans here. Magico is fine if you want to spend a lot of money. They'll sound different from the JBLs. Better? Not sure.

What amplifier are you using?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I don't think Wilsons have many fans here. Magico is fine if you want to spend a lot of money. They'll sound different from the JBLs. Better? Not sure.

What amplifier are you using?
Probably going to go for mcintosh if the speaker is insensitive and requires a large load. Don’t know much about high end amplifiers. I wasn’t planning on spending nearly as much on the amp as the speaker though. I had an idea in my head to get a mc462 stereo amp and use a totaldac d1-dual as a preamp and dac. But this is just preliminary ideas and I have a lot more research to do.

My current amp is the Kinki Studio ex-m1 but I may be getting my hands on a 10w integrated 2a3 design from Finale Audio. That would pair beautifully with the Avantgardes... and I know for a fact many people use Triode Labs/Finale Audio with their avantgardes.

I’m still contemplating if I’ll go the JBL M2 or Dutch and Dutch. I’d probably want to soffit mount or something. I already plan on spending about $5k upgrading my room btw. I’d probably be adding in another few grand on soffit treatment if I did anything like active monitors. So have that to consider as well.

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Maybe keep what you have? It seems you're pretty satisfied with them. :)

Dave.
i appreciate this feedback as it’s not something I really seriously considered until now I guess. At least two of you guys have indicated that at this price range all you might get for your trouble is different sound. In that regard I guess the Jbl 4367 really is that good... or “state of the art” so to speak.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
i appreciate this feedback as it’s not something I really seriously considered until now I guess. At least two of you guys have indicated that at this price range all you might get for your trouble is different sound. In that regard I guess the Jbl 4367 really is that good... or “state of the art” so to speak.
I’m third. I also have JBL 4367, previous pair was YG Hailey for quite a bit more money than JBL. And other pricier speakers are a side grade to me from hi fidelity point of view. I think you should also consider room EQ and maybe few subs. D&D8C could be much more convenient here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
@direstraits fan, if you are considering horns I have a pair of Cessaro Liszt semi active four ways, I need to sell as we have been ‘kicked off’.
Cessaro use very nice TAD compression drivers Supravox dynamic drivers.
These are they,
https://www.cessaro.de/products/liszt-ii/
Keith

pierre

Forum Donor
If you are going to soffit mount them, for 25k$ genelec proposed 1234 speakers. You don’t even need subs ...

bigx5murf

https://www.lansche-audio.com/p-series/

I think these need to be in contention for title of SOTA speakers. I'm not aware of any others that have plasma tweeters. I've never heard these. But I've collected decades of speakers, and personally find tweeter performance to be the area where improvement has been most noticeable over time. So a literally massless tweeter is very interesting.

Top Bottom