• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starting From Scratch

OP
Muddywaters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately none of the suggested layouts work with my goals perfectly. Possible starting point would be the Rule of Thirds (29%). I would want to move the speakers closer to the front wall and wider.

It appears these suggestions don’t take into consideration the use of multiple subwoofers addressing room nodes, choice of speakers incorporating boundary compensation setting possibilities, cardioid capabilities nor the use of room treatments.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately none of the suggested layouts work with my goals perfectly
That is understandable, since the room is not operational yet, I saw that as an opportunity for you to try different speaker placement that are difficult to implement if the room is not strictly dedicated to enjoying listening to music in stereo. I have been using the 38% in my 2 dedicated rooms for years with different speakers, enjoying very uncoloured sound and spectacular stereo soundstage, just wanted to share what is not so used amongst us, mostly for aesthetic reasons. The speakers and the seat almost, but not because of room modes, in the middle of the room and speaker so close to each other and to the seat takes some times to get use to aestheticaly. Once you listen to the sound with a wide and deep sound stage filling the empty space behind the speakers, all other set up seem to me now like a compromise some how.

“It appears these suggestions don’t take into consideration the use of multiple subwoofers addressing room nodes”

Absolutely, multiple sub, is one solution, not the only solution, it also brings its own set of issues. When listening in stereo from a single seat, you do not need to eradicate the modes every where in the room, like in HT, placing the seat away from the modes also fixes room modes or at least mitigating them, with an elegant solution. Also modes are not the only issue when listening in stereo, being well away from any boundaries and close to the speaker as a lot of advantages. One of them is that it is free to try.

Last edited:
OP
Muddywaters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
That is understandable, since the room is not operational yet, I saw that as an opportunity for you to try different speaker placement that are difficult to implement if the room is not strictly dedicated to enjoying listening to music in stereo. I have been using the 38% in my 2 dedicated rooms for years with different speakers, enjoying very uncoloured sound and spectacular stereo soundstage, just wanted to share what is not so used amongst us, mostly for aesthetic reasons. The speakers and the seat almost, but not because of room modes, in the middle of the room and speaker so close to each other and to the seat takes some times to get use to aesthetocaly. Once you listen to the sound with a wide and deep sound stage filling the empty space behind the speakers, all other set up seem to me now like a compromise some how.

“It appears these suggestions don’t take into consideration the use of multiple subwoofers addressing room nodes”

Absolutely, multiple sub, is one solution, not the only solution, it also brings its own set of issues. When listening in stereo for a single seat, you do not need to eradicate the modes every where in the room, like in HT, placing the seat away from the modes also fixes room modes or at least mitigating them, with an elegant solution. Also modes are not the only issue when listening in stereo, being well away from any boundaries and close to the speaker as a lot of advantages. One of them is that it is free to try.
Understand your feelings and choice. I do follow the reasoning too. As you point out testing options is free :)

I’ve had to pack up and move everything out since the painters are prepping to spray the trim. Hopefully I can get back in this weekend and try out some of the suggestions. Your 38% and the 29% would be possible for testing at least.

I am at a bit of a disadvantage playing with new speakers (no experience with them) but in the limited time I was encouraged that I was able to maintain a semblance of depth and width with them near the front wall. Using the Kali LP’s boundary compensating setting was helpful. It will be interesting to hear what happens with the speakers out into the room to compare.

I’m anxious to receive the laptop I’ve ordered so I can load REW and Dirac and get some objective feedback.

Thank you again for your input.

jbattman1016

Have you considered the RSL Subwoofers instead to aid with adding multiple subs. The 10 inch isn't too large and should fill in the 30-80 HZs range with ease.

OP
Muddywaters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Have you considered the RSL Subwoofers instead to aid with adding multiple subs. The 10 inch isn't too large and should fill in the 30-80 HZs range with ease.
No, I’m unaware but will investigate. I appreciate any and all things for consideration. Thanks

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Did you plan on carpeting the room with a nice thick backing mat? Wall coverings that will dampen the walls some? I know it will not be perfect, but it will make a big difference and get rid of all of your echo effect.

OP
Muddywaters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Did you plan on carpeting the room with a nice thick backing mat? Wall coverings that will dampen the walls some? I know it will not be perfect, but it will make a big difference and get rid of all of your echo effect.
No carpeting covering the beautiful wood floor. I will use a rug with backing between speakers and the LP.

Previously I had GIK bass traps (three) across the rear wall, Two panels on the ceiling reflection points and Tri-Traps double stacked in front corners. Those and 4000 Lp’s in Ikea shelving greatly reduced the reverb issue. I will be utilizing absorption and diffusion strategically. Unsure yet on furnishings other than a sofa and likely height adjustable desk.

I’ll probably be in contact with GIK as I get a better handle on timing of getting back into the living space.

Thanks!

OP
Muddywaters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
REW measurement of room. Bare room, no furniture or treatments it's a REVERB Chamber. I did try to upload the mdat but perhaps my relative newbie status impacts that? The mdat is below. Sorry for any incorrect formatting.

SPL.jpg

SPL 10-200.jpg

RT60_REW_3rd REW measurement of raw room, SMSLDO100 @67 vol, Ultra16 @-30dB, 90degree cal file...jpg

IMG_0969.jpeg

*Edited to add room photo

Last edited:
OP
Muddywaters

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Muddling my way through REW took me awhile to figure out (been a number of years) displaying a smoothed graph

SPL_Smoothed_3rd_REW.jpg

Top Bottom