• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starter Oscilloscope - Still Rigol DS1054Z?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the 47 pages of discussion on multimeters I thought ASR might be a good place to ask...

Anyway I'm looking for a first oscilloscope and been watching a ton of EEVblog recently. Given how easily the 1054Z is "hacked" to enable all the in-hardware DLC it's looking like it's still a good value in entry level 'scopes 5 or 6 years on.

I think I'd mostly be using it for building basic audio circuits, arduino projects, power supplies, and LED drivers.

Is there anything else in the same price range with a comparable or better feature set?

oohlou

Seems to be a good choice. 50MHz bandwidth can be limiting for digital circuitry these days but is plenty good enough for your use-cases. Siglent is the other budget brand. I have a Siglent SDS1204X-E which works really well for me. It has 200MHz bandwidth but cost 2x as much as the Rigol.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to be a good choice. 50MHz bandwidth can be limiting for digital circuitry these days but is plenty good enough for your use-cases.

You can actually get 100MHz out of DS1054Z since it's the same hardware as the DS1104Z but with the bandwidth limited in the software.

Siglent is the other budget brand. I have a Siglent SDS1204X-E which works really well for me. It has 200MHz bandwidth but cost 2x as much as the Rigol.

One step down in that line, the SDS1104X-E was what seemed most comparable to me too. More features for a little more money, but not sure if I'd end up using them or not.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Given the 47 pages of discussion on multimeters I thought ASR might be a good place to ask...

Anyway I'm looking for a first oscilloscope and been watching a ton of EEVblog recently. Given how easily the 1054Z is "hacked" to enable all the in-hardware DLC it's looking like it's still a good value in entry level 'scopes 5 or 6 years on.

I think I'd mostly be using it for building basic audio circuits, arduino projects, power supplies, and LED drivers.

Is there anything else in the same price range with a comparable or better feature set?
Probably not, with the hack its a great starter scope

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 1054Z is an incredible bargain, so much functionality for a very modest price tag.

Note that if you read about the ability to hack it to enable the add-on features, the current version of the scope already has those enabled, so that's old news. IIRC, 100 MHz is the only thing you need to hack.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Here is my Rigol DS1054Z

Rigol DS1054Z.jpg

H-713

I recommend the SDS-1202X-E (I think that's the model number). Having four channels is of only somewhat useful, but the 500 uV/div range on the Siglent is quite useful. It also has dedicated volts/div knobs for each channel, which I find to be a whole lot less annoying than buttons to select which channel the knob controls.

I also consider a good analog scope to be worth having in addition to a digital scope.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Testing Dolby Stereo CP200 with Rigol

Top Bottom