• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starkrimson™ Integrated Stereo Amplifier Launched

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And I agree we should be more courteous to manufacturers.
True but manufacturer or customer, if your going to make subjective sound statements you should connect the dots to the objective evidence of the product that enables it to sound the way you claim.
Otherwise just come here, present your data evidence and let the numbers speak for themselves.
Thing is whether Benchmark or Orchard, when we talk about things like amps, preamps, and the rest in the audible vain, electronics have been a mature tech for quite a few decades now. Big improvements have been made in the measurement arena but little to no evidence has ever been put forward that people can actually hear the difference between two proper designed and loaded amps.
If you going to make claims about

GaN transistors provide the following sonic/sound benefits over their traditional silicon counterparts: less harshness; cleaner highs; better transparency; and higher detail. This is because GaN transistors have increased slew rate, reduced ringing, faster switching, and faster overload recovery.

put it in a DBT against a Benchmark or other quality silicon based product and let the results speak for themselves.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
I have also received a lot of feedback from customers that they don't understand all the technical stuff and would like to see something that makes more sense to them. So who do I listen to?
Ah yes that is THE trick. If prospective customers don't get it, then you don't have customers. Some thoughts:
- Your Starkrimson page should mention Starkrimson is a type of pear, and the graphic is a pear tree (I presume).
- You do have hyperlinks from PecanPi and BOSC, but I think it should more obviously state "to read about the advantages of the amp section go here [BOSC hyperlink again]" and "to read about the advantages of the DAC section go here [PecanPi hyperlink again]. Otherwise the page kinda jumps to graphs without much explanation.
- Are those graphs different than the BOSC monoblock? I guess it's combined performance? (admission: I didn't examine in detail).
- Graphics are very important. Like the Panasonic one in this thread earlier, showing the faster rise time. If you say faster "transient response" or "slew rate" etc that means nothing to many folks. If you then explain "That means the amp can respond to the signal faster" and show a graphic, then even kids and the proverbial grandmas can understand.
- Show [graphic A] of typical Class D switching noise, clearly somehow showing where the audio band is and the noise. Explain "Switching noise is an inherent byproduct of Class D. So a physical passive filter is needed to filter out that ultrasonic noise. Here is a typical filter [graphic] which can interfere with the sound. Our gallium nitride (GaN) transistors are faster, so we can switch at a higher frequency farther away from the audio [graphic A2] and so our filter is simpler [graphic] and affects the sound negligibly."
- You say "Higher bandwidth" then show it with measurements of your frequency response versus some similarly priced competitors. I used to instigate that kind of thing in my giant company days, we would measure and call out the competitors. Our sales reps and dealers ate that stuff up. In particular, another giant competitor was touting their signal-to-noise ratio but their DAC was muting with a zero data signal. I made FFTs using the NAD "22.05 kHz 1 LSB" test tone track so none of the DACs could mute, made graphs, published 'em all, showed our noise was lower and smoother. Killed 'em all, in Metallica-speak. :D
- "Faster overload recovery": why should customers care about that? Aren't we trying to avoid overload unless we clip? What is the advantage here? (Those are my own questions as well; when Class D came into autosound I soon moved into OEM development, so I don't know). Again graphics are king.
This post is huge, to be continued...

On a different note, why not AirPlay? That would be rare and a cool advantage. Is that process to onerous for small makers? (I was involved with Apple licensing but I represented a $3B company so I didn't have to do the REAL work ;)).

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
...see some questions/edits/suggestions in red bold

Why does it sound so good?
BOSC amplifiers use my proprietary DC coupled, fully balanced dual feedback modulator (the modulator switches when the audio changes from positive to negative [or some brief explanation like that]). This allows the amplifier to be completely balanced from input to output, [I should care about this why? What is the advantage? ...if the circuit LOOKS balanced show it, what the heck]through the use of bridged GaN power stages.

Gallium Nitride (GaN) transistor technology enables BOSC to switch at ~800kHz which is 2-3 times faster than traditional class d amplifiers using silicon transistors. Our switching is thus about 5-1/2 octaves above the audio band, instead of 3-4. This very fast switching allows for the use of a single-pole simple LC (inductor and capacitor) filter, which both attenuates the switching frequency by 40dB and allows the amplifier to have no phase shift from DC (0Hz) to 30kHz.
[show a graphic of the filter compared to others as noted above. And measurements of phase shift versus competitors. Heck, impulse response...actually square wave is more understandable to normal people.

The filter is a very important part of the sound of a class d amplifier. BOSC uses oversized very high-quality oxygen-free copper (OFC) inductors and a very high-grade film capacitor. [pictures! be proud! or maybe a somewhat bigger version of the existing picture but with callouts

Having high-quality components will only get you so far; BOSC’s 4-layer PCB is state-of-the-art. It uses a custom stack-up with high-end dielectric (insulating) material and ENIG (gold) finish.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@Head_Unit

I made some changes to the website, due to the way it is structured I only have a certain number of images I can put in certain sections stuff.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Music1969

Major Contributor
GaN transistors are also capable of switching much faster, in the case of my amps ~750kHz vs 300 to 400kHz for traditional silicon transistors. This gives the amplifier a higher bandwidth and allows for a filter design that does not encroach into the audio band.

I see Purifi is around 500kHz. But still yours is 50% higher.

1612091299216.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @orchardaudio

Can you share photo/s of the external power supply that this comes with?

Showing the international safety markings , to see if approved for use in Australia

Thanks

• Ext.Power Supply Size: 8" (20.4cm) x 3.7" (9.4cm) x 1.72" (4.35cm) - w/o cables
  • Ext. Power Supply Output Voltage: 56VDC
  • Ext. Power Supply Input Voltage: 90 to 264VAC
  • Ext. Power Supply Input Frequency: 47 to 63Hz

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Hi @orchardaudio

Can you share photo/s of the external power supply that this comes with?

Showing the international safety markings , to see if approved for use in Australia

Thanks

• Ext.Power Supply Size: 8" (20.4cm) x 3.7" (9.4cm) x 1.72" (4.35cm) - w/o cables
  • Ext. Power Supply Output Voltage: 56VDC
  • Ext. Power Supply Input Voltage: 90 to 264VAC
  • Ext. Power Supply Input Frequency: 47 to 63Hz

The integrated amplifier has built-in power supplies. Each channel has a Murata PQC250-54

The monoblock amps have a CUI SDI-250-56U

Both power supplies support voltages from across the word and automatically adjust.

For both, you can find the info you are looking for on the manufacturer's website. I have customers in Australia and there have not been any issues.

Here is a pictureof the CUI PS label:
144567250_412935499988620_8992832701709524755_n.jpg

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have customers in Australia and there have not been any issues.

Performance issues isn't what I was referring to.

Local safety marking is important for insurance purposes (same like any country I guess).

I was hoping it would have this:

1612097697219.png

Top Bottom