• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starkrimson® Ultra Amplifier Modules -- 250/500W into 8/4ohm

schubert

I just ordered units for a dual mono ultra, that's why I'm asking. What's the lead spacing on the cap boards?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I just ordered units for a dual mono ultra, that's why I'm asking. What's the lead spacing on the cap boards?

Thank you for your support. I think it is 10mm, if you ordered the kit the capacitors come with the kit. If it's not the kit here is the part number.
Nichicon / UKW1H472MRD
or
Nichicon / UVK1H472MRD

schubert

I was thinking of using KG instead of KW - will the case accommodate 50mm tall caps?

schubert

I received the modules & power supplies promptly and in good order - thanks. One question, though......there's this nifty little 9V power supply included. I see where it could go, but........what's it for?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I received the modules & power supplies promptly and in good order - thanks. One question, though......there's this nifty little 9V power supply included. I see where it could go, but........what's it for?
It is used for wiring the on/off button. Please see the provided instructions.

Going forward please email me. This is not the place to have these conversations.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
For those who are intersted as I see Amir is doing max power tests at 1% distortion for some of his latest reviewes. Here is what it is for the Starkrimson Ultra modules.

With 4ohm load it is not possible to get to 1% distortion because the over current protection kicks in before that happens. Hence I am only posting this test for 8 ohm load.

1674053043308.png

David_M

For those who are intersted as I see Amir is doing max power tests at 1% distortion for some of his latest reviewes. Here is what it is for the Starkrimson Ultra modules.

With 4ohm load it is not possible to get to 1% distortion because the over current protection kicks in before that happens. Hence I am only posting this test for 8 ohm load.

View attachment 258066
So the amp won't get to 1% THD+N running a 4-ohm load. So, what is the maximum available power at 4 ohms and at what THD+N does it occur at?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
So the amp won't get to 1% THD+N running a 4-ohm load. So, what is the maximum available power at 4 ohms and at what THD+N does it occur at?
You can see the posted charts for what distortion is at 500W. The amp overcurrent at 20A peak which equates to 14.14Arms or 800Wrms into 4 ohm.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Reactions: SIY

Short38

Why would I purchase this instead of a Benchmark amp or an NAD 298? I can’t figure out the final price of this product. Module here module there case screws etc confused.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Why would I purchase this instead of a Benchmark amp or an NAD 298? I can’t figure out the final price of this product. Module here module there case screws etc confused.
I sell two versions of the product
$2650 -- "base model"
$4000 -- "DMC" dual mono with capacitor upgrades

There is currently a 10% sale, off the prices listed above.

I also have DIY versions you can assemble yourself and save additional money.

I have my own proprietary amplifier implementation using GaNFETs, it will sound different than all the offering from likes of NAD and so on. Is it better or worse? That will come down to personal preferences.

My amps have won best of awards from a variety of publications almost every year they have been in production, there must be something to like.

Short38

I sell two versions of the product
$2650 -- "base model"
$4000 -- "DMC" dual mono with capacitor upgrades

There is currently a 10% sale, off the prices listed above.

I also have DIY versions you can assemble yourself and save additional money.

I have my own proprietary amplifier implementation using GaNFETs, it will sound different than all the offering from likes of NAD and so on. Is it better or worse? That will come down to personal preferences.

My amps have won best of awards from a variety of publications almost every year they have been in production, there must be something to like.
Thank you for the information.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Really? How so?
Here is what a customer wrote on another forum.

"To compare with another well-regarded Class D amp, I did some track by track comparisons with the Purifi-powered NAD c298. The NAD brings a warmer signature than the Ultra, with more prominent bass output. Like the Ultra, the NAD provides great resolution and coherence, but each instrument is less prominent and more part of a whole. And while the NAD provides plenty of upper midrange and treble extension, its overall sound is one of solidity rather than airiness. If the Ultra is a front row experience, the NAD Purifi is the sound from the middle of the concert hall. These are both great amps that should forever erase concerns about class D as audiophile devices. Which amp is "best" comes down to preference and system matching.

To get a sense of how the Ultra plays with different equipment, I subbed in some smaller, less expensive speakers (B&W DM601 S2) as well as a solid state preamp (Schiit Freya S). The B&Ws sounded great with the Ultra, and in a nearfield setup they paired with the Ultra to deliver a strong soundstage and accurate voicing. The Freya S was a pleasant surprise - while it didn't deliver all of the synergy of the Rogue preamp, it was surprisingly capable in delivering a transparent view into what the Ultra can deliver. With the less expensive solid state preamp the Ultra's top end energy was more prominent, but not uncomfortably so. If you're stepping up to the Ultra from a lower-cost system, it will play well with your current gear.

So that's it - a fantastic amplifier with amazing capabilities for a great price. When it comes time to choose power for my next pair of speakers the Ultra will be on my short list. Thanks again to Leo for giving me a chance to experience it."

I can not personally comment, I can only go based on what customers say.

See here for a lot of other comparisons:

Top Bottom