• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starkrimson® Ultra Amplifier Modules -- 250/500W into 8/4ohm

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
None of the show diatribe has anything to do with Starkrimson. A few people objected to including subjective reviews in a thread dedicated to the dealer, and I think most of us (objective or not) didn't have a problem with that. In the meantime Orchard provided other objective data, something pretty admirable.

How that got to "objectivists don't go to audio shows" and all the negativity is somewhat a mystery to me but whatever. Speaking for myself, I have enjoyed shows for decades, as a flaming subjectivist and then more balanced objectively-biased person. Objective or subjective, good luck getting a proper listen at an audio show -- just too many variables, too much noise, etc. I always liked going to identify new gear, catch up with other vendors, meet some of the industry luminaries, and so forth. Except on rare occasions when special rooms and listening sessions were set up, often after hours, critical assessment was just not part of it for me. I usually had a list of things I wanted to hear later, and some new lines that our store might want to consider.

I've never taken an AP to an audio show, though now and then manufacturers had one.

I can't test drive them but like to go to car shows and see all the fancy rides, too. Haven't taken a dyno with me to one, however.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully he washes himself well when he gets home.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So without dragging measurement gear to an audio show you’re partaking in subjectivist activities.

The entire process of appreciating reproduced music is 100% subjective. No test gear needed and, as far as I know, no test gear exists that can tell anybody whether they will enjoy the sound of anything.

@DonH56 's post above encapsulates exactly the purpose of, and why I went to (and a few times worked on stands at) audio shows.

I haven't read all this thread (it seems to have blown up) but I asked @orchardaudio how his showing went, because I was genuinely interested and hoped he'd had some success. I imagined him hiring a hotel room, setting up his gear, buying some snacks, drinks and finger food and waiting all by himself for potential customers. It would be a little daunting and lonely. Would it be a waste of time or not? Would he make a few industry/audiophile friends and contacts? Would people who RSVP'd actually turn up and would they like his gear?

And, it's nearly Christmas. We should be spreading good will to all men (and women, kids, dogs etc).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right? All this "spreading good will" talk. Humbug!!!

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Many go to see what's out there, listen to music on expensive equipment they could otherwise never hear, learn about new tech, etc. It's an opportunity to meet designers, learn, and socialize, not a place to pick components.

This is a lot more what it's about, I have found that people mostly do not purchase anything at the show, the purchases usually come 3 to 6 months later.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Anything that involves your senses of sight and hearing is subjective. So without dragging measurement gear to an audio show you’re partaking in subjectivist activities. Also surrounding yourself with a crowd that is 95% subjectivist.
I do not know if this whole line of posts is a joke or a jerk.

There are numerous objective tests that can be performed involving sight and hearing. Optometrists and audiologists do them all the time. Closer to audio, blind tests involving hearing yield objective data.

I don't have a problem with the crowd; maybe they will learn something, and maybe I will. Hopefully both. BTW, what is your source for the 95% figure?

Fortunately I do not need your permission to attend a show. However, this crap is why I do not post as often here anymore. So you win. Enjoy.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
BTW, what is your source for the 95% figure?

Probably this book ;)
1702162626765.jpeg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yeah it’s probably closer to 98%

Let's call it a day in this thread.

Try to engage in good faith, or don't bother engaging.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Our troll notwithstanding, I'll reiterate my experience with this amp: it's excellent, the engineering is superb, the performance is superb, and it sounded no different than the other excellent amps I have on hand (which is a compliment- it's remarkable that a one-man-show can swim in the same lake as much bigger companies). If the features, form factor, power, and accessibility of the designer matter to you, it's a great choice.

Top Bottom