• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Review (Multichannel Amplifier)

ac3dtsthx

Myself, I am adopting a wait and see attitude until I see how they respond. As I say, they were very responsive before and during my trial. Everyone is struggling a bit these days with supply chain and manpower Issues, so I’m trying to give them some leeway.

I can’t help but think that it was a 110/220 volt switch error - the values are just too far off and do seem consistent with that. But then why not immediately check and respond to that effect? This is the sort of thing that can be very damaging to a fledgling company and their reputation. Your reaction only confirms this.
I did suggest that it might be the 220/110v switch. but the unit was sent back already. There was also no approval from the owner to open the product I think.

Bobo77

Bobo77,

I am adopting a wait and see attitude until I see how they respond. As I say, they were very responsive before and during my trial. Everyone is struggling a bit these days with supply chain and manpower Issues, so I’m trying to give them some leeway.

I can’t help but think that it was a 110/220 volt switch error - the values are just so far off and do seem consistent with that. But then why not immediately check and respond to that effect? This is the sort of thing that can be very damaging to a fledgling company and their reputation. Your reaction only confirms this.
Communication is extremely important these days…more than ever, with all the blogs, forums, etc. Just seems odd… but if 3 months have passed it’s obvious that clearly…they just don’t care.
Did I miss something.. why did you not try another unit? Did the experience put you off so much that you just didn’t want to try another one? Also, your voltage theory sounds interesting, as well.

JRaab

This thread is disturbing. I was excited about this amp after watching Jay Iyagi's review on YouTube…I am a fan of Jay's channel, but, to be honest, I was somewhat suspicious of his GUSHING review…just because I am a savvy guy from N.J.…. I had never heard of Starke, also the price, the power rating and the sound quality just seemed "too good to be true" from a domestic company. Then I read the review and posts here and an EXACT OPPOSITE of Jay's review is what is portrayed about this amplifier...
So…based on the fact that Jay's most recent review of The Buchardt s400 Mark II Speakers, which is sponsored by Starke Audio :) …I guess I got my answer. CLEARLY Jay is being paid by Starke. (something to keep in mind when watching ANY of Jay's reviews in the future). I guess everyone has to make a buck…but his review of this amp will be considered total bullshit by this enthusiast.
nstzya, your experience, along with other accounts I have read online, you can bet I would not take a chance with this company, based solely on their lack of transparency and how they treat people…not to mention the condition that your amp arrived in. There are some very positive comments by owners on the pages of this forum, but they do not confirm the power rating claimed by Starke, which are suspect just by the unorthodox manner in which they list the stats. I do not know of any other audio company that behaves this way and surely seems to have something to hide. What other explanation is there?
nstzya, thanks for posting your balanced, honest experience!
I agree. Audioholics gave them a glowing review as well and said they would have a follow-up after they listened to them for a while, but have yet to do the follow-up, and their initial was back in May. Funny enough, not long after their May review they thanked Starke for becoming a sponsor of their site. So is it possible Starke is buying good reviews? Sure seems to be leaning that way. Also brings into question Audioholics reviews, they always claim to be impartial, but are they really?

Heres their review:

nstzya

The experience
Did I miss something.. why did you not try another unit? Did the experience put you off so much that you just didn’t want to try another one? Also, your voltage theory sounds interesting, as well.

Just didn’t feel good enough about the experience and/or the product’s reliability. I didn’t really need 4 channels at the time either.

Bobo77

I agree. Audioholics gave them a glowing review as well and said they would have a follow-up after they listened to them for a while, but have yet to do the follow-up, and their initial was back in May. Funny enough, not long after their May review they thanked Starke for becoming a sponsor of their site. So is it possible Starke is buying good reviews? Sure seems to be leaning that way. Also brings into question Audioholics reviews, they always claim to be impartial, but are they really?

Heres their review:
OK…you are further convincing me that Starke's glowing reviews are TOTALLY paid for.
I checked the Audioholics review that you listed (thanks)…glad that I skimmed its UNUSUALLY syrupy praise, that just reeks of FAKE as I could find no balancing or fault-finding verbiage (no amp is PERFECT).. and then I read the very last sentence in what I believe is a lengthy pile of paid-for BS:
"I haven’t yet heard Starke Sound’s AD4.320, but early reports suggest that the company’s home-grown NS600 amp module provides yet another avenue to excellent audio."

He didn't even listen to the amp???????? :) :) :) DUH!

Last edited:

Bobo77

The experience

Just didn’t feel good enough about the experience and/or the product’s reliability. I didn’t really need 4 channels at the time either.
I can understand how you would not want another go-round.

G

Gene DellaSala

OK…you are further convincing me that Starke's glowing reviews are TOTALLY paid for.
I checked the Audioholics review that you listed (thanks)…glad that I skimmed its UNUSUALLY syrupy praise, that just reeks of FAKE as I could find no balancing or fault-finding verbiage (no amp is PERFECT).. and then I read the very last sentence in what I believe is a lengthy pile of paid-for BS:
"I haven’t yet heard Starke Sound’s AD4.320, but early reports suggest that the company’s home-grown NS600 amp module provides yet another avenue to excellent audio."

He didn't even listen to the amp???????? :) :) :) DUH!

If you don't realize that was a preview article and NOT a review, then I fear you may not fully appreciate a full report with measurements. We had a unit in for review. It did NOT measure well and Starke asked us to delay a formal review until the next batch of amps come in with improved components. NOTHING was "paid for" as you misstated in your post.

We always give manufacturers a chance to look over our measurements to verify their units are working correctly. I offered the same courtesy to Yamaha and despite the RX-A6A NOT measuring well in some areas, they validated my measurements and have no fix and thus I'm working on my test report as I type this REGARDLESS if they are an advertiser or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobo77

If you don't realize that was a preview article and NOT a review, then I fear you may not fully appreciate a full report with measurements. We had a unit in for review. It did NOT measure well and Starke asked us to delay a formal review until the next batch of amps come in with improved components. NOTHING was "paid for" as you misstated in your post.

We always give manufacturers a chance to look over our measurements to verify their units are working correctly. I offered the same courtesy to Yamaha and despite the RX-A6A NOT measuring well in some areas, they validated my measurements and have no fix and thus I'm working on my test report as I type this REGARDLESS if they are an advertiser or not.
I realize that is an extremely lengthy glowing preview article, that can easily be mistaken as a review, written by someone with a biased interest to praise a piece of equipment at length without even listening to it. It is so gushing, with no possible faults or concerns including the bi-line at the top of the page:
  • First Impression: Gotta Have It!
Perhaps something shorter, with a more balanced presentation would have been written by a "pre-viewer" without your vested interest. Just possibly? And then to let that puff-piece stand to the public after you have actually received a unit that "did not test well", and also knowing that other sources of review have units that are testing extremely different than claimed by the manufacturer is less than conscionable. Couple with that, Starke having months to address the issue and not standing up to provide basic appropriate facts or verified, understandable measurements, written clearly, well it just shows who they are. I almost bought one of these amps, but am so glad that I didn't.
To come on this forum in a bullying fashion to attack me just shows this audiophile that my suspicions are spot-on. If I take your "preview" at face value, you are stoking enthusiasm in a product the you KNOW is suspect…but there is NO MENTION of ANY possible downsides in your praising verbiage. You mention it here, though. THAT is deceptive, at best…and just outright dishonest at the worst. You see nothing in your write-up that deceives perspective buyers, when you know much more that is NOT written in that "preview"???
I am entitled to my independent consumer, unbiased review of your "preview"… and here you have it: It smells bad.

Last edited:

greenpsycho

Waiiiiit......that was a "preview"? How? Where does it say that anywhere on the page? Its listed under your Review portion of your site. I'll give you a hint, it doesn't say "preview" anywhere in/on/near the article. If you want people to know that, you have to be upfront about it. And what is the difference between preview and review? Or anything sponsored or advertisement?

You to claim is "preview", when it reads as an advertisement for the product (as in the copy reads as if its written by Starke marketing), but its listed under the "review" portion of your site. So like, which one?

Disclose, disclose, disclose. This is tricky territory for sure, but I would look to some other sites (and even youtubers that do it well). LTT is one, super up front about it and their community LOVES them for it.

edit: and remember, I am one of the ones that DID buy this amp. I have wasted money on this, what you do or don't do matters and costs people.

Bobo77

Waiiiiit......that was a "preview"? How? Where does it say that anywhere on the page? Its listed under your Review portion of your site. I'll give you a hint, it doesn't say "preview" anywhere in/on/near the article. If you want people to know that, you have to be upfront about it. And what is the difference between preview and review? Or anything sponsored or advertisement?

You to claim is "preview", when it reads as an advertisement for the product (as in the copy reads as if its written by Starke marketing), but its listed under the "review" portion of your site. So like, which one?

Disclose, disclose, disclose. This is tricky territory for sure, but I would look to some other sites (and even youtubers that do it well). LTT is one, super up front about it and their community LOVES them for it.

edit: and remember, I am one of the ones that DID buy this amp. I have wasted money on this, what you do or don't do matters and costs people.
Thumbs up!

audio_lover

So how did you like the amp BEFORE you read this review from Amir?

I have it as well, still like it despite these measurements and still use the amp actively in my system paired with some other gear from Hypex and it really is a close call between this one and the nCore's if you ask me.
BUT I'm in the 230V part of the world, perhaps that could make a difference as well, if the PSU pumps out the same amount of Amps as when set to 110V that is nearly twice the headroom/Wattage available.

JRaab

Hey Gene,

Yeah it's under your review section and nowhere in the article did you say it was a Preview. Your writer gushed over it like a 90s teen at a Boy Band concert. Also, if it didn't test well, why keep the review up as "Gotta Have It"? Isn't that dishonesty on your part? You KNOW that the unit is flawed, was asked by Starke not to review it on your site, yet kept the review up as is without giving any kind of notification to the reader? All you had to do was remove the article and you would have been fine. Instead you gave credence to a broken product and allowed a company to use your site as a sales platform for that same broken product while you KNOWINGLY had data that showed it didn't function as advertised. That alone would be construed as being unethical from a reporting/reviewing/previewing standpoint. Why on earth would we ever trust an Audioholics article about ANYTHING since we know you're more than happy to cater to the manufacturers of the products rather than being open and honest to the consumer? You didn't have to post the review, just remove the glowing, gushing "preview" from your review section where you say flat out "Gotta Have It". Also, your "preview" was in May, 7 months ago, if they knew about the problem and asked you not to post a review while they looked into the issue, why were they telling us back in October that Amir's review wasn't accurate and that they would put out third party #'s to refute it? We still don't have the complete #'s and Starke has stopped responding to any emails and continues to hock a broken product on their sites and social media accounts KNOWING that their statements are false. Where's the acknowledgement from Starke or a fix for the faulty product?

So either Gene De LaSalla/Audioholics are liars, or Starke Sound are. Which is it? You rant about snake oil and holding companies accountable ALL the time in your videos. Step up and practice what you preach Gene.

JRaab

I have it as well, still like it despite these measurements and still use the amp actively in my system paired with some other gear from Hypex and it really is a close call between this one and the nCore's if you ask me.
BUT I'm in the 230V part of the world, perhaps that could make a difference as well, if the PSU pumps out the same amount of Amps as when set to 110V that is nearly twice the headroom/Wattage available.
Hey Pascal,

I get what you're saying but I think for most of us it's not about how it sounds, it's the principle behind holding a company accountable to advertise their product as it truly is. If you buy a 2021 Honda Civic you don't want to get a 2015 Honda Civic. Yeah the 2015 might be nice and get the job done, but that's not what you were sold and that's not what you were paying for. As a consumer it's important to hold companies like Starke accountable for their advertising.

But I do understand what you're saying.

JRaab

Hey Gene,

If it was a "preview" why does your site specifically call it a review? This screen grab was taken directly from your site. The title DIRECTLY ATTACHED to the article, calls is a review. This isn't a header, this isn't a title for the section or the page. This is directly below the product photo and above the product name. This was clearly designed to make it look as though this was a review, not a "preview". So stow that bullying BS about people not knowing the difference between a review and a "preview". You deliberately mislead the reader through the design and layout of your site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-100300~2.png
    Screenshot_20211130-100300~2.png
    568 KB · Views: 170

greenpsycho

I think I mentioned it earlier, but its...fine. Just fine. I came from a six channel older Rotel model, but due to the distance and location, I really needed something balanced and cool/quiet/enclosed. I use it with mediocre speakers in my home theater, but yah, as JRaab says, its the fact that they most likely sold me an amp that performs at half what they spec (maybe less) but charge a premium for it. That's the bit I dont appreciate, and then they (starke sound) and others (audioholics) lie and cover it up. It sucks, all around, and I feel cheated and sour about it.

Matthew J Poes

Technical Expert
Reviewer
I realize that is an extremely lengthy glowing preview article, that can easily be mistaken as a review, written by someone with a biased interest to praise a piece of equipment at length without even listening to it. It is so gushing, with no possible faults or concerns including the bi-line at the top of the page:
  • First Impression: Gotta Have It!
Perhaps something shorter, with a more balanced presentation would have been written by a "pre-viewer" without your vested interest. Just possibly? And then to let that puff-piece stand to the public after you have actually received a unit that "did not test well", and also knowing that other sources of review have units that are testing extremely different than claimed by the manufacturer is less than conscionable. Couple with that, Starke having months to address the issue and not standing up to provide basic appropriate facts or verified, understandable measurements, written clearly, well it just shows who they are. I almost bought one of these amps, but am so glad that I didn't.
To come on this forum in a bullying fashion to attack me just shows this audiophile that my suspicions are spot-on. If I take your "preview" at face value, you are stoking enthusiasm in a product the you KNOW is suspect…but there is NO MENTION of ANY possible downsides in your praising verbiage. You mention it here, though. THAT is deceptive, at best…and just outright dishonest at the worst. You see nothing in your write-up that deceives perspective buyers, when you know much more that is NOT written in that "preview"???
I am entitled to my independent consumer, unbiased review of your "preview"… and here you have it: It smells bad.
I can only add that I am the one who is doing the review. At the time the preview was written, we didn’t have a product. Typically our previews have not been in actual products. The term referred to a simple retelling is the manufacturers claims. As you already noted, this product looked compelling on paper. It did to us as well. We had no reason to believe it would have measured so differently than the spec.

That preview was written long before I even knew I would be reviewing the amplifier. That point is important. We didn’t find out that the amp was intended as more of a utility amp until I asked about its design and performance for the review. They made clear that the Class D amp is meant more channels, like ATMOS, where ultimate fidelity isn’t necessary. I thought, ok that is disappointing but not a deal breaker. A $1200 amplifier that can do the atmos channels, is well made, and reliable would still be a useful product. That assumed it measured as specified. Amir’s review came out before I could even open mine. That didn’t bode well for the product. So I opened it to see if I would get similar or different results. Maybe he had a bad unit. Mine measured similar. So clearly something was wrong. Maybe the amplifier was built incorrectly relative to what was specified. I once tested an amplifier with a similar problem, it turned out the wrong transformer was used in a number of batches. The rails were half what they should have been. The spec sheet sent to the transformer manufacturer said 25v center tap toroidal 350va. What they got was 12.5v-0-12.5v but what they needed was 25v-0-25v. I have no idea what is going on here, but we agreed to wait for a new amplifier and see if it measures similarly. Maybe it’s similar and a wrong part was snuck in by a supplier. With foreign manufacturing it’s very common.

JRaab

I can only add that I am the one who is doing the review. At the time the preview was written, we didn’t have a product. Typically our previews have not been in actual products. The term referred to a simple retelling is the manufacturers claims. As you already noted, this product looked compelling on paper. It did to us as well. We had no reason to believe it would have measured so differently than the spec.

That preview was written long before I even knew I would be reviewing the amplifier. That point is important. We didn’t find out that the amp was intended as more of a utility amp until I asked about its design and performance for the review. They made clear that the Class D amp is meant more channels, like ATMOS, where ultimate fidelity isn’t necessary. I thought, ok that is disappointing but not a deal breaker. A $1200 amplifier that can do the atmos channels, is well made, and reliable would still be a useful product. That assumed it measured as specified. Amir’s review came out before I could even open mine. That didn’t bode well for the product. So I opened it to see if I would get similar or different results. Maybe he had a bad unit. Mine measured similar. So clearly something was wrong. Maybe the amplifier was built incorrectly relative to what was specified. I once tested an amplifier with a similar problem, it turned out the wrong transformer was used in a number of batches. The rails were half what they should have been. The spec sheet sent to the transformer manufacturer said 25v center tap toroidal 350va. What they got was 12.5v-0-12.5v but what they needed was 25v-0-25v. I have no idea what is going on here, but we agreed to wait for a new amplifier and see if it measures similarly. Maybe it’s similar and a wrong part was snuck in by a supplier. With foreign manufacturing it’s very common.
Matt,

That's not the issue. The issue is, that Audioholics keep the "GOTTA HAVE IT" review....it's listed under reviews, it's titled as a review, it's worded as a review....it was a review, even after you KNEW it was a broken design. You had @amirm review to show that it wasn't a fluke, either 2 units sent to 2 different reviewers for testing were damaged (in which case has Starke ever heard of QC), or the more believable case of......THEY LIED ABOUT THEIR NUMBERS. The fact that Starke has made ZERO attempts to rectify the issue, even going so far as to claim Amir's tests were flawed, knowing FULL WELL that you'd communicated similar issues to them shows exactly what type of person leads Starke. Not to mention they are STILL touting the unit on their social media sites, emails and Audioholics continue to use them as a revenue strain for ads and continue to review their other products while knowing full well that Starke is misleading consumers on other products. You know they aren't being truthful about the amp, you are a consumer advice magazine/website who is supposedly unbiased. You aren't forced to review their products, telling them you won't review other products until they act in an honest, truthful and upfront manner about the amp would be the ethical thing to do. I bought these amps based on the "Gotta Have It" review from your site, I was lied to then, we've all been lied to by Gene in this thread and your attempt to somehow justify the actions here only make me ask if we really should ever trust any review attached to your name (that's a fair call and you know it). If you, Gene and Audioholics are truly unbiased you'd call Starke out and push them to resolve the issue. Because so far I've asked twice and been blocked on both Instagram and Facebook by Starke.....that seem like the actions of an ethical company to you?

G

Gene DellaSala

Matt,

That's not the issue. The issue is, that Audioholics keep the "GOTTA HAVE IT" review....it's listed under reviews, it's titled as a review, it's worded as a review....it was a review, even after you KNEW it was a broken design. You had @amirm review to show that it wasn't a fluke, either 2 units sent to 2 different reviewers for testing were damaged (in which case has Starke ever heard of QC), or the more believable case of......THEY LIED ABOUT THEIR NUMBERS. The fact that Starke has made ZERO attempts to rectify the issue, even going so far as to claim Amir's tests were flawed, knowing FULL WELL that you'd communicated similar issues to them shows exactly what type of person leads Starke. Not to mention they are STILL touting the unit on their social media sites, emails and Audioholics continue to use them as a revenue strain for ads and continue to review their other products while knowing full well that Starke is misleading consumers on other products. You know they aren't being truthful about the amp, you are a consumer advice magazine/website who is supposedly unbiased. You aren't forced to review their products, telling them you won't review other products until they act in an honest, truthful and upfront manner about the amp would be the ethical thing to do. I bought these amps based on the "Gotta Have It" review from your site, I was lied to then, we've all been lied to by Gene in this thread and your attempt to somehow justify the actions here only make me ask if we really should ever trust any review attached to your name (that's a fair call and you know it). If you, Gene and Audioholics are truly unbiased you'd call Starke out and push them to resolve the issue. Because so far I've asked twice and been blocked on both Instagram and Facebook by Starke.....that seem like the actions of an ethical company to you?
Wow what a snake pit of ASSumptions people are making in this thread. I appreciate the skeptical nature of this forum regarding product performance and manufacturer claims. But, to make claims of "bought reviews" or deception on the author's part is mean spirited. Jacob is completely removed from the site operations of Audioholics. I ask him to write preview articles using what is available online (often press releases or manufacturer data handed to us). He is by nature an optimistic person, something we could all use a little more of in our lives tbh.

Matthew recently informed me of the measurement issue and Starke recently asked us to delay the review until a new unit could be supplied. It was my failing alone that forgot to update the preview article to indicate this which I just did. There was no malice or intent from anyone at Audioholics. I simply forgot given the enormous amount of work I have to do on a daily basis and my less than stellar memory of keeping track of things. The article has since then been updated.

As for reviews/previews, unless the title says "review" its NOT a review. This has been implicitly understood by our readers for 22+ years. In the past, I tried to separate review/preview content with tabs on the sectional pages but Google didn't like that. I also tried to separate reviews/previews into the new 2 column layout of the site but it would make pages with thin content in one category look wrong. Perhaps we can add a disclaimer at the bottom of preview articles stating it's a preview but honestly, the 5 or 6 critics here would likely just find something else to complain about my site and this hasn't been a problem for our readers.

nstzya

I can understand how you would not want another go-round.

I’m even more glad now!

I would like to thank Mr Poes for his response and his honesty. That said, I agree that the “preview“ was a bit poorly conceived and misleading and that Audioholics‘ feet should be held to the fire over it. I remember reading it at the time and getting to the last line where he had not yet actually even heard it and dismissing the entire thing as an empty fluff preview piece. I know that this sort of thing can only tarnish a publication’s image. I would encourage some sort of formal published followup - which may or may not already be in the works.

But more importantly, Mr Poes’ measurements confirm what appears to be a real problem with the unit. And one for which Starke’s feet should be the ones held closest to the fire and who should certainly be addressing this. Rather they are still actively selling and promoting them - running Black Friday specials on them??

EDIT: seems I must have been composing at the same time as you, Gene. Thank you for correcting the article and addressing the problem. If only Starke wouLd be as forthcoming.

Last edited:

JRaab

Wow what a snake pit of ASSumptions people are making in this thread. I appreciate the skeptical nature of this forum regarding product performance and manufacturer claims. But, to make claims of "bought reviews" or deception on the author's part is mean spirited. Jacob is completely removed from the site operations of Audioholics. I ask him to write preview articles using what is available online (often press releases or manufacturer data handed to us). He is by nature an optimistic person, something we could all use a little more of in our lives tbh.

Matthew recently informed me of the measurement issue and Starke recently asked us to delay the review until a new unit could be supplied. It was my failing alone that forgot to update the preview article to indicate this which I just did. There was no malice or intent from anyone at Audioholics. I simply forgot given the enormous amount of work I have to do on a daily basis and my less than stellar memory of keeping track of things. The article has since then been updated.

As for reviews/previews, unless the title says "review" its NOT a review. This has been implicitly understood by our readers for 22+ years. In the past, I tried to separate review/preview content with tabs on the sectional pages but Google didn't like that. I also tried to separate reviews/previews into the new 2 column layout of the site but it would make pages with thin content in one category look wrong. Perhaps we can add a disclaimer at the bottom of preview articles stating it's a preview but honestly, the 5 or 6 critics here would likely just find something else to complain about my site and this hasn't been a problem for our readers.
Gene,

You're a bully. Nothing more, nothing less. No one has resorted to name calling except for you. No one said anyone acted in malice, we said you acted in bad faith. Which you did. Your first post here was not an explanation about "to much work" or "sorry we forgot to update" it was a direct attack on valid points and discussions while making claims that we don't know what we're talking about. Your comment just now only shows how childish and immature you are. You screwed up, everybody does, but rather than go "Crap, yeah sorry that's on us. We're working with Starke to figure out what's going on and should have taken down our review or moved it to another section" you name call, blame others and then finally do an eye roll apology with an excuse. You are a reviewing website that had consumer trust as it's main sell, yet you withheld your poor review knowing that this thread existed. That's not 1920s bad guy "muahaha" malice....that's unethical editing and transparency and you know it. Be open, be transparent, be honest. That's all people ask of you, yet you resort to bullying, name calling and chest beating. You've done nothing here to make anyone think any better of you.

Top Bottom