• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Review (Multichannel Amplifier)

JRaab

Something wrong with the smell test to be sure. First two sentences in particular. But if it wasn't Starke, now would be a very good time to stand up and come forward. .
No, this is in the same tone of their first email response to me about Amir's review. This is just how StarkeSound works evidently.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point, your energy is wasted with further comments here.
Perhaps your energy would be better spent ”spreading awareness”? As my daddy always said, you might not be able to force their feet closer to the fire, but you can always make the fire bigger!
I'm not sure these two messages are totally compatible? By commenting we keep the subject current and relevant (feeding the fire). If Starke wants one thing, it is for us to stop talking and discussing.

I realize that they probably won't answer any of the questions asked, but they should realize that silence is also a form of communication. People will notice and draw their own conclusions, as is evident from the discourse here during the past two months.

Oh, for the people doubting the internal voltage switch, here is a detailed image of the thing, form here:
8335252646fa45b9a440d10fd4d3c395.jpg

If this really is the issue, why would it be so hard to just comment on this?

Last edited:

Bobo77

No, this is in the same tone of their first email response to me about Amir's review. This is just how StarkeSound works evidently.
From what I have seen here of Starke's demeanor and in a number of other places..I agree with you JRaab.
Also, this posting here was clearly due to Gene contacting Starke, or they would not have made a post here. This is not a coincidence. Did you ask for a refund back then, when you first contacted Starke?

Bobo77

I'm not sure these two messages are totally compatible? By commenting we keep the subject current and relevant (feeding the fire). If Starke wants one thing, it is for us to stop talking and discussing.

I realize that they probably won't answer any of the questions asked, but they should realize that silence is also a form of communication. People will notice and draw their own conclusions, as is evident from the discourse here during the past two months.

Oh, for the people doubting the internal voltage switch, here is a detailed image of the thing, form here:

Voodoo, thanks for making the transformer switching clear. This is interesting to me.I am sooooo curious to know if all of the AD4.321 amps are the same, which is what I suspect, obviously. That is the only thing that explains Amir's test results, Gene's test results, Gene's behavior and Starke's behavior. Right?
Starke could never use the Sym's Slogan: "An educated consumer is our best customer."
:)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Voodoo, T hanks for making the transformer switching clear. This is interesting to me.I am sooooo curious to know if all of the AD4.321 amps are the same, which is what I suspect, obviously. That is the only thing that explains Amir's test results, Gene's test results, Gene's behavior and Starke's behavior. Right?
Possibly... That's why I asked:
Can you guarantee that current production units are in correct working order and meet advertised specs?
In fact, they did not mention anything about the state of the products at all, which is strange given the accusations made.

Maybe one of the people that kept the amp could part with it for a bit and let Amir do a retest? Or we all chip in to buy a new production unit. Best case we have a perfectly functional amp. Worst case we send it back for a refund and donate the money to a nice charity :cool:

Last edited:

greenpsycho

sooooo....I have one from last black friday (2020). I paid about 900 bucks for it I believe, and at this point, I'm kinda done with Starke's run around. If people think its important enough, I can send it into Amir. I'm not EXACTLY sure what it will/won't prove, but let me know.

I'll also need some help sourcing something with 3 channels to fill its spot in short order, as I use it everyday for my home theater setup. Any thoughts, let me know!

audio_lover

I also posted internals of mine which was set to 110 and I flipped it to 230 myself upon receiving the unit:

Bobo77

I also posted internals of mine which was set to 110 and I flipped it to 230 myself upon receiving the unit:
So…I am trying to have complete understanding here.
1. All the units "we" have seen have switching transformers for each channel?
2. If they are used with 220v and switched for that, like Pascal's…Starke says that they put out the correct power rating to the speakers.
3. When switched to 120v and used with 120 current..they are under-powered?
4. Starke claims that 5 out of ~100 units have the above problem?
I need a little clarity. Do the other 95 units have similar switching transformers that work properly? (Is there an obvious visual difference from the faulty ones?)…or do the other 95 units have no switching transformers, but specific 120v or 220v that are fixed and sent to the appropriate market?
I anyone can clarify these points, thanks for your patience, in advance!
I am just trying to understand the overview of the whole situation. It's interesting.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if it was asked before, but did you run the thing in the 110V settings as well on 230V? If so, by what miracle did the thing survive?

audio_lover

So…I am trying to have complete understanding here.
1. All the units "we" have seen have switching transformers for each channel?
2. If they are used with 220v and switched for that, like Pascal's…Starke says that they put out the correct power rating to the speakers.
3. When switched to 120v and used with 120 current..they are under-powered?
4. Starke claims that 5 out of ~100 units have the above problem?
I need a little clarity. Do the other 95 units have similar switching transformers that work properly? (Is there an obvious visual difference from the faulty ones?)…or do the other 95 units have no switching transformers, but specific 120v or 220v that are fixed and sent to the appropriate market?
I anyone can clarify these points, thanks for your patience, in advance!
I am just trying to understand the overview of the whole situation. It's interesting.

I can't answer any of those questions, all I can say is I think my unit (running on 230V) is flawless and give me 90-95% of the performance when compared to my Nord NC500 triple mono on my LCR speakers (MK Sound S300)

Not sure if it was asked before, but did you run the thing in the 110V settings as well on 230V? If so, by what miracle did the thing survive?

No I have only used it setup correctly as 230V in my country.

What I can add is that when I ordered it at Starke's shop during the labor day sale I got a quick (and pro-active) email from their sales team how I wanted the amp configured as they noticed the shipping address was outside of the US.
I told them to don't bother to open it up and switch it to the correct voltage as I just wanted to get my hands on the amp as soon as possible and don't wait for some additional delay whenever someone on their facility had time to crack it open and repack again.
But of course I already confirmed it prior to my purchase that the amp was usable in 230V territory by talking to their service team.

JRS

Major Contributor
<snip> ...been a huge learning experience and wake-up call to this consumer about audio reviews in all media and by YouTube influencers/reviewers in general. In that regard it has been rewarding and informing. It makes me a sharper consumer who is still shopping for a power amp. :)
There are any number of good amplifiers in this price range. One gentleman who has impressed both with products and attitude (as in thank you guys for pointing out potential problems, I will incorporate changes with next batch; anything else I should do? as a manufacturer comment) is Buckeye, who offers very close to best deals--audiophonics and VTV may be a bit cheaper but it's a buyer beware situation especially with the VTV amps which are laid out poorly, dubious wiring etc.). There may be others but the names escape me. You could always roll your own of course, but buying one off chassis etc, drives the price very close to the retail. Happy hunting. I'm replacing my whole fleet of amplifiers in the not too distant future--it's a buyers dream market at the moment.

nstzya

Well… this isn’t the only forum out there, now, is it? ;-) I’m just suggesting that if you really want to reach more owners, warn others, or turn up the heat, you might want to visit some other forums that you belong to and that discuss Starke.

Unless all 100 owners have seen this thread or been otherwise informed, I’m not sure that it’s fair for Starke to state that only 4-5 units were affected. And I’ll bet their refund requests don’t stop at 3.

Last edited:

Bobo77

There are any number of good amplifiers in this price range. One gentleman who has impressed both with products and attitude (as in thank you guys for pointing out potential problems, I will incorporate changes with next batch; anything else I should do? as a manufacturer comment) is Buckeye, who offers very close to best deals--audiophonics and VTV may be a bit cheaper but it's a buyer beware situation especially with the VTV amps which are laid out poorly, dubious wiring etc.). There may be others but the names escape me. You could always roll your own of course, but buying one off chassis etc, drives the price very close to the retail. Happy hunting. I'm replacing my whole fleet of amplifiers in the not too distant future--it's a buyers dream market at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Bobo77

I cancelled an order 1 day after placing it when I wasn't confident I'd get an "in spec" unit. The refund was not full but rather, short 10%...
More indication about "the culture" at Starke.

Enchy

Glad I read this thread. I've been less than impressed with Audioholics ever since they started featuring that new AV integrator guy Don in their videos. Now seeing Gene act with the maturity I'd expect from my child when confronted I can happily stop giving them clicks and views.

JRaab

So as an update. Called Starke and started the return process. Went out today and bought a new amp to replace them. Bought from a reliable company that I know stands behind their product. Bought from a local small business audio store that I've been going to for years and KNOW they'll stand in and do anything to make things right (never had an issue once with them but my interactions with their people give me full faith in them).

Made the dive and invested in some major hardware. McIntosh MC8207 (my wife had nicknamed it "The Beast") has been brought home and is ready for hookup!

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_214320093.jpg
    IMG_20211204_214320093.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20211204_214324829.jpg
    IMG_20211204_214324829.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 142

Bobo77

So as an update. Called Starke and started the return process. Went out today and bought a new amp to replace them. Bought from a reliable company that I know stands behind their product. Bought from a local small business audio store that I've been going to for years and KNOW they'll stand in and do anything to make things right (never had an issue once with them but my interactions with their people give me full faith in them).

Made the dive and invested in some major hardware. McIntosh MC8207 (my wife had nicknamed it "The Beast") has been brought home and is ready for hookup!
WHOAH! THAT is a bit of a step up!!!

JRaab

WHOAH! THAT is a bit of a step up!!!
I know. But after my interactions with the Starke products, I went for the long term investment. I figure if I never buy another amp in my life then this initial investment will have netted me a long term value, even at the McIntosh price.

Top Bottom