• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starke Sound AD4.320 Review (Multichannel Amplifier)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He said the *power ratings* don't include the frequency at which they were tested. Amplifier power frequently goes down at the extremes of frequency range. What you listed is just frequency response which has nothing to do with this objection. So don't LOL stuff if you can't understand the argument.

ATI still uses FTC as well as 1 kHz EIA measurements.
Here are the specs for the AT6000 series amplifiers:
AT6000Specs.jpg

The FTC specifications are 20 Hz to 20 kHz 0.05 THD and noise.

This is a more complete specification than just power at 1 kHz.

- Rich

nstzya

Hey what's up guys, I currently have this unit in for review and I had a friend of mine measure it using a Dscope Series 3 which obviously isn't as luxury as some of the other review companies out there but at 8 ohms the unit hit its mark at 1thd at 140 watts. Not bad at all. We had a nice listening session and it performed really nicely. I'm not a huge fan boy for Class D amps but this one is a good unit. I read all about the AD4 debacle and it seems they took care of people for, what I assume was a bad batch. So all good here. Looking forward to sharing the full review soon.

Great, that should be interesting. Do you mind sharing your qualifications/experience? And do you have a website - or perhaps a you-tube channel where we could see some of your other reviews? Always nice to have expert and qualified opinions. There are so many trolls, and “reviews” for hire, it’s sometimes hard to separate legitimate experts from shills sent by the companies to spread subjectivism and disinformation...

archerious

He seems to like this amp, despite it's poor measurements for the cost.

JRaab

I did not say you or ASR as an organization is accusing anybody of fraud. But someone did make that accusation and invoke ASR in a comment made on the HomeTheaterHifi review linked to in Post #344. Obviously it is that individual who is responsible for that specific claim. I just think it's bad form and that it puts ASR in a bad light.

I am not suggesting that the manufacturer gets a free pass. I've said that repeatedly. And they already don't in that your measurements show that their product doesn't meet the stated specs. On top the manufacturer handled it poorly when you brought this up with them. The end. I don't see a need to pile further onto that. I would like to think that people can be allowed to recover from their mistakes. Their more recent product does appear to meet the stated specs, so maybe they got the message.

I don't understand where the absolutist thinking comes from. Either the manufacturer gets a free pass or we all clamour until they're out of business. And if I suggest we clamour less and watch how they recover from this, suddenly I'm giving them a free pass? I just don't understand that. I see the world in more nuanced terms than that.

Tom
Hey Tom,

So I used the word fraud in several of my posts and it fits to this situation regardless of court of law. Fraud isn't singularly defined through legal action.

The definition of fraudulent is "a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities". So they claimed a certain power level and distortion with their amp, neither were true, therefore by very definition they made fraudulent claims. Courts are only used when attempting to receive recompense for the losses. Through this sites outrage and the bad publicity they were getting Starke finally decide, after several months btw, to do the right thing and offer a refund. However, had this not happened, then yes there would have been a lawsuit to recover the losses. This expectation needs to be the case when companies do business, otherwise untrustworthy companies will do whatever they like.

Remember, a definition of a word doesn't rely on the court system to be appropriate.

Edit: for clarity sake I should also note that I don't speak for or have any connection to ASR other than being a member of the forum.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, that should be interesting. Do you mind sharing your qualifications/experience? And do you have a website - or perhaps a you-tube channel where we could see some of your other reviews? Always nice to have expert and qualified opinions. There are so many trolls, and “reviews” for hire, it’s sometimes hard to separate legitimate experts from shills sent by the companies to spread subjectivism and disinformation...
Good heavens. Disingenuous posters? On my internet?

Top Bottom