• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Wars: Last Jedi Annoyances (Spoilers)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
SPOILER ALERT DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE

1. Lea, seemingly dying tragically with much pathos at the hand (or nearly so) of her son in the vacuum of space, manifests previously unseen force powers that not only protect her from instant death in via decompression, but allow her to fly back to a ship that has presumably traveled a significant distance* since the bridge got exploded.

And aside from a seemingly meaningful death for the character, she turns into a super hero.

(*Yes, I realize that whatever forward momentum the ship had would be retained by Lea, so their relative forward velocities, unimpeded by friction, should be intact, but Lea also had some perpendicular velocity which, even at a shallow angle, should have amounted to a large hypotenuse to traverse).

2. Snokes is the biggest wussy emperor ever, a complete paper tiger that relies upon 25 foot holo image of himself to scare people. No wonder he needs 8 body guards. Palpatine, or Vader, would have detected the saber rattling at their side, or Kylo's traitorous thoughts, and fish gutted the traitorous emo dweeb instantaneously. And, given the Sith* mode of succession, would have constantly be on the look out for such a move.

(*Yes, I realize Snokes isn't a Sith. Maybe that's why he sucks.)

3. The Rebel are strategic morons. They lose huge portions of their forces in direct frontal assaults against superior forces, so much so that by the end of the movie there is only a rag tag group left.

Not to mention that a war of attrition against the First Order is idiotic given their industrial base. "Hey we can take out a dreadnaught, those things are fleet killers!". Yeah, well, guess what, the First Order has more of them. It's like deciding to attack a US Navy Nimitz-class carrier battle group because you think you can take out a carrier to win a war, while ignoring that the US Navy has 9 more.

4. The Rebels are smoking their own dope in terms of public support. For having a seasoned politician like Lea with them, you'd think they would do better.

"Oh, hey, we just need to hold the big cannon off the blast door for 5-10 minutes while we make a call for help and the galaxy comes to our aid!"

First of all, even given lightspeed hyperdrives and whatnot -- 5-10 minutes? Really? You expect a naval armada capable of fighting through an First Order task force, as well as a space marine expeditionary force, to arrive to save your bacon that quickly? How, logistically, does this make any sense?

Not to mention that nobody answered the call, so maybe, just maybe, the public isn't dying to support your cause.

5. Jedi powers are now ridiculously over-powered.

In the original trilogy, Luke (the Chosen One) had to go through extreme training to learn to be able to levitate his X-wing from the swamps of Dagoba, failing multiple times.

But Rey comes up and moves a pile of boulders, with no previous training, without even breaking a sweat.

Snoke can not only force-strangle and force-throw people in the same room, but from across the galaxy.

Given these god-like telekinetic powers, why do they even bother with lightsabers? They should just be telekinetically skull-crushing their enemies like melons.

6. Empire / First Order Achilles Heels

Why is it that ever major bad guy war machine not only has a single point of failure in terms of a vulnerable reactor thingy that will cripple the whole system if you can get to it, but it's left unguarded.

Every. Single. Time.

7. Empire / First Order worker safety

Why are there these giant cavernous spaces inside bad guy war machines which, aside from being wastes of space, are bridged with perilous gangplanks with no side rails.

Is this some kind of hazing ritual?

8. Blaster proof armor

Captain Phasma's armor is apparently blaster proof, but the run of the mill storm trooper armor sure isn't. Uhhh...why not? And even if it's expensive, you'd think the officers would wear it instead of running around in neo-Nazi leather gear.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely agree. And could add about that many more. I particularly thought the Lea in a vacuum thing was not even worthy of a Saturday morning kid's cartoon.

This completes the Disney-azation of star wars and kills it. The Hero's Journey has been excised.

I saw it in full Imax, and as one of my friend's said upon leaving, "well it wasn't bad, but everyone I cared about is gone now, I'll not want to see anymore of these in the future."

Who knew that Bob Iger and the like were the true DARK side. There is suspension of belief and destruction of belief. Their victory is complete.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well I'm 30, went to the theater with little expectations yet I hated TLJ the more I thought about it after I left. What a horribly written mess that was. Weird tone, weird pacing, slapstick humor, a galactic conflict that only exist because both sides are led by a bunch of idiots and no sense of scale, filler galore and paper thin feminist agenda.

I absolutely loved Blade Runner 2049, so can't say it's the blind nostalgia working on me. Or the fact when it comes a different take on the SW universe the KOTOR video games did that a whole a lot better and about 13 years earlier too.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I completely agree. And could add about that many more. I particularly thought the Lea in a vacuum thing was not even worthy of a Saturday morning kid's cartoon.

This completes the Disney-azation of star wars and kills it. The Hero's Journey has been excised.

I saw it in full Imax, and as one of my friend's said upon leaving, "well it wasn't bad, but everyone I cared about is gone now, I'll not want to see anymore of these in the future."

Who knew that Bob Iger and the like were the true DARK side. There is suspension of belief and destruction of belief. Their victory is complete.

And no new characters I care about to replace the dead ones.

Phasma is the only one remotely interesting.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
1. Lea, seemingly dying tragically with much pathos at the hand (or nearly so) of her son in the vacuum of space

Whiner :p All that negativity over a 20 second scene, she's Lea Queen Of The Force, she can do most anything. Why do you try to plug in all sort's of "whys or hows" into a fantasy/action/adventure flix. You want some sort of accurate future scifi look somewhere else.

Probably in the top 3 of the franchises films. Enjoyed near every minute of The Last Jedi.
Hard to do something in the CGI of today's movies that really stands out as anything better than what's being done in a lot of other films but yes the imagery was outstanding. I'm not the biggest fan of 3D but this was definitely one of the best uses of the technology I've experienced.
The immersive sound work was stellar, as good as Kong Skull Island, maybe better.
The exit talk was all 100% positive with people using words like awesome, loved it, great time, etc.
Don't miss the opportunity to see it at the theater, much preferably at a IMAX with great sound.
4 1/2 thumbs up

Top Bottom