• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Wars: Andor (TV)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. Not sure why many are praising Andor? For the most part I've found it slow and boring.
^ The building architecture may be good but OTOH I find the rest very weak in CGI when it comes to aliens, spacecraft, etc.
Mostly just humanoids walking around on slightly futuristic set.
When I saw that video link my thought was, "yes, the sets are excellent and the best thing about the show. If that is the best thing however, it is because everything else is weak."

I wanted it to be good, and it got going after the first three shows somewhat and now two slow shows. This most recent really would have been better if it were only 10 minutes long. Pretty much ready to just write off anything Disney touches.

deadwood83

Okay I watched episode 9.

I was so hopeful. I can deal with a slow and patient story. But this episode..... oof. 2-ish plot advancements, maybe 3 if you push. Each took about 5 mins or less. The rest is cotton. It's decently done cotton, but this episode is hardly an episode in any way but length.

If they released 8+9 or 9+10 I would be a lot less mad. But making us wait a whole week for this drivel feels a little insulting. I quite liked 5-7. 8 was not bad. But 9 was.....

MrOtto

Slow is good. Builds the story. Too many crappy fast moving incoherent stories on TV these days.

Reactions: RHO

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Slow is good. Builds the story. Too many crappy fast moving incoherent stories on TV these days.
Slow with meaningful content yes. This was 80% irrelevant content not moving any story forward. Like they padded the plot to eek out an extra episode.

MrOtto

Maybe you can't see the meaning in what you consider meaningless.

So little character building in many of the shows and movies today.

Reactions: RHO

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So little character building in many of the shows and movies today.
You don't need a slow show for character-building. Let's compare the borefest of Rings of Power to House of the Dragon: there is virtually no character development in Rings of Power, while in House of the Dragon, we see multiple characters go through their own arcs, in just a single episode. The difference is quite staggering.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need a slow show for character-building. Let's compare the borefest of Rings of Power to House of the Dragon: there is virtually no character development in Rings of Power, while in House of the Dragon, we see multiple characters go through their own arcs, in just a single episode. The difference is quite staggering.
The difference is quite staggering.
+10

Bleib

Major Contributor
I loved GoT but house of dragons is sleep inducing. Andor is far better, and the only SW worth seeing.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I loved GoT but house of dragons is sleep inducing.
After season 8 of GoT, sleep-inducing is much better than vomit-inducing ;) No, it's not nearly as good as the first seasons of GoT, but for now, I take it.
Andor is far better, and the only SW worth seeing.
I literally fell asleep yesterday watching the last two episodes of Andor, so there's that... Had that not happened with HoD.

Bleib

Major Contributor
After season 8 of GoT, sleep-inducing is much better than vomit-inducing ;) No, it's not nearly as good as the first seasons of GoT, but for now, I take it.

I literally fell asleep yesterday watching the last two episodes of Andor, so there's that... Had that not happened with HoD.
Maybe the silly wigs keep some people up? Because it's not their non-developed personalities. The whole show is like watching people going to a funeral, nobody is really bonding, no-one is funny or even entertaining.
The CGI succeeds in somehow being worse than before, because it uses the same Unreal technology we see in other SW series, which looks worse much worse than Andor
It's just a family feud where-as we see the space fascists gearing up to become worse and people realising, finally, that they must start resisting it.
In HoD the queen who never was could've ended the damn war instantly, but chooses not to. In doing her great escape, which looks cool but it's pretty damn dumb she actually kills hundreds of people and commentators on FB and elsewhere basically don't seem to notice.
It's gaining lots of viewers whilst Andor is at the bottom when it comes to SW-series. Doesn't really make people look good either.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In HoD the queen who never was could've ended the damn war instantly, but chooses not to. In doing her great escape, which looks cool but it's pretty damn dumb she actually kills hundreds of people and commentators on FB and elsewhere basically don't seem to notice.
Oh, people definitely noticed. It's a major fuckup in the show, just for some awesome CGI action :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the silly wigs keep some people up? Because it's not their non-developed personalities. The whole show is like watching people going to a funeral, nobody is really bonding, no-one is funny or even entertaining.
The CGI succeeds in somehow being worse than before, because it uses the same Unreal technology we see in other SW series, which looks worse much worse than Andor
It's just a family feud where-as we see the space fascists gearing up to become worse and people realising, finally, that they must start resisting it.
It's gaining lots of viewers whilst Andor is at the bottom when it comes to SW-series. Doesn't really make people look good either.
Yeah, people noticed. That is the worst scene in the series so far. I would say she is killing some of her extended family if she ends it right there. But a dumb part of the story.

When I first read this:
In doing her great escape, which looks cool but it's pretty damn dumb she actually kills hundreds of people and commentators on FB......
I read it as saying she kills hundreds of people and kills commentators on FB. Thought that was entertaining, but I am just a poor reader sometimes I guess. ;)

D!sco

I can definitely respect a new attempt at a Breaking Bad type series. In a lot of ways, making it Star Wars is a huge risk and one that has had mixed effects on the outcome of the series. I'm starting to like it, with the quality actors and buildup gathering meaning in the plot, the only thing they could do now is be sloppy. Slow can be fine, not for everyone and weird for Star Wars. Honestly the Andy Serkis prison has been the best part so far. I can't wait to see him Wakanda punch a guard. Science fiction is an awesome place to talk about real world problems safely and away from the original context. They're doing a ton of that here. What would be a colossal mistake is letting all of these writing threads go unresolved. Bix, his home planet, the creeping corruption of the republic, It could end up as Better Call Mon Mothma. At least it's better than the Kenobi series.

Unground

I can definitely respect a new attempt at a Breaking Bad type series. In a lot of ways, making it Star Wars is a huge risk and one that has had mixed effects on the outcome of the series. I'm starting to like it, with the quality actors and buildup gathering meaning in the plot, the only thing they could do now is be sloppy. Slow can be fine, not for everyone and weird for Star Wars. Honestly the Andy Serkis prison has been the best part so far. I can't wait to see him Wakanda punch a guard. Science fiction is an awesome place to talk about real world problems safely and away from the original context. They're doing a ton of that here. What would be a colossal mistake is letting all of these writing threads go unresolved. Bix, his home planet, the creeping corruption of the republic, It could end up as Better Call Mon Mothma. At least it's better than the Kenobi series.
Exactly. Character and plot are important and sometimes they take time to build. OK, it could be a bit pacier but I'm happy with it. And the world-building is great. Someone commented that there aren't any aliens. Good. They don't add anything. To me Andor is a human story in a well-realised sci-fi universe. Could be anywhere really but the SW setting adds a nice layer, and obviously the backstory. And the design is great.

Regarding pacing, Breaking Bad wasn't exactly quick. Took ages to get going. Didn't really gel until S3 in my view. But it was all the better for it because we really knew the characters and their world, and so were wholly engaged.

D!sco

Breaking Bad wasn't exactly quick. Took ages to get going. Didn't really gel until S3 in my view.
That's why it's weird Disney is doing it with a premiere show. About a rebellion no less. I'm stuck in this place right now where I'm giving a lot of criticism for how it's been done, but I'm excited to see how it turns out. It's Disney though, so next season could be a Boba Fett series halfway through.

Unground

That's why it's weird Disney is doing it with a premiere show. About a rebellion no less. I'm stuck in this place right now where I'm giving a lot of criticism for how it's been done, but I'm excited to see how it turns out. It's Disney though, so next season could be a Boba Fett series halfway through.
Oh god, hope not!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Following the discussions and there are some good arguments on both sides. I like the series and I like its slow pace, building up characters and a galaxy-wide civilization. I like the so far mostly bi-pedal , mostly humanoids and mostly oxygen-breathing "aliens". SLow burn, true.. What do we want .. slam -bang! Andor is free? Andor is pure and good, has super-power, is extraordinary skilled? Has a clear conscience? or is ravaged by angst, doubt and interrogations a la MCU? No! it is taking us to a journey, where we come to understand Cassian Andor and the other characters, on each side.. This make for a compelling, so far, operatic story.

If this wasn't clear.. I loooove Andor, the Series,, Hope it doesn't get cancelled for being too cerebral.. perhaps too good?

P.S. I would have loved these people to respect physics.. just a bit , what with the starships landing in a forest and the leaves do not seem to move... Nothing, they alnd and push forward.. nothing .. They just do.. For as series with such cinematic scenes and sets, that is the least they could do to insufflate somef realism in a very good series

Peace

deadwood83

That's just Serkis being Serkis. Compared to mo-cap, having a speaking role is probably easy mode for him. The dude has talent. Also surprised nobody has shown appreciation for our femifacist antagonist's facial tics. She has those on lock.

D!sco

I can't help but be excited for the ISB love story of the millennium. Those two are amazing. Her overexcited torture scientist gives me the fuckin creeps.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom