• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Wars: Andor (TV)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Star Wars is targeted to a much larger audience, but they do tend to focus on the kids. Most complaining are not...kids. :)
Yeah, you keep saying that. But where is your proof other than that Lucas said as much a few decades ago?

Here is: Opening weekend audience distribution of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in North America in 2017, by age
1665750530836.png

That's not a lot of kids...

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Yeah, you keep saying. that. But where is your proof other than that Lucas said as much a few decades ago?

Here is: Opening weekend audience distribution of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in North America in 2017, by age
View attachment 236965

The formula has not changed. Obviously some watch because they started early on. It's precisely the same with the comic book stuff as Alan Moore said in a recent interview. He found it worrisome that adults actually queue to watch stuff made for kids like Batman. When people look for very simplistic answers to complex problem then fascistic ideas have a greater chance of succeeding.
___
"Disney and Lucasfilm's focus to grab the preteen demographic and children is advantageous from the perspective of business. A fanbase cannot be expanded by merely appealing to the already established fandom and the older audience. Besides, actively aiming at the toy purchasing generation has always worked wonders for Star Wars."

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, you keep saying. that. But where is your proof other than that Lucas said as much a few decades ago?

View attachment 236965

I think "kids" in this case refers to a mental age, not physical, as in the chart you posted ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think "kids" in this case refers to a mental age, not physical, as in the chart you posted ;)
Well, I would be in my right to complain, would I not?

You can't have your cake and eat it...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Complaining about the lower average mental age of those going to see Star Wars? Not sure why you'd want to, but you do have the right ;)
No, I mean that if everybody that goes to Star Wars is really a kid mentally, then any complaint given by these people can't be deflected with: "but it's for kids"... Then I say: yes, what's your point?

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor

D!sco

I finally hit anticipation for this show tonight. Good job, Andor.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

deadwood83

Perhaps the meaning was "After ___ episodes of this show, I am finally excited for the next episode" and I sort of agree. I think I actually started being interested in the series around episode 4 or 5.

And regarding the 'mental age' argument.... I actually think it's an alright thing. I start every day reading about the atrocities of war, go to work at an international corp who is terrified of their revenue being lower than competitors, deal with unofficially doing some management, plus my own problems. It's exhausting.

I am quite happy to have something that is just exciting enough to pique a little curiosity while letting me wind down each week. But the last film I saw in theaters was Fury Road and before that was Tron Legacy so perhaps I am not their target demographic considering I go to the cinema about 1x/4-5 years. It;s just a different medium for the same thing we've had forever. Though I will say that story writers are, on average, much worse than in the past. The quality does seem to be higher on average with literature.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Perhaps the meaning was "After ___ episodes of this show, I am finally excited for the next episode" and I sort of agree. I think I actually started being interested in the series around episode 4 or 5.
Humm, I guess, I don't know if it's really getting better or my expectation bias is making it seem that way. LOL
We'll see, can't be many episodes left before the season ends.
One can only hope

dartinbout

Or...you could binge watch "The Bachelor" and initiate early onset Alzheimer's. The choice is yours. Personally, I choose Clem's journey

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Humm, I guess, I don't know if it's really getting better or my expectation bias is making it seem that way. LOL
We'll see, can't be many episodes left before the season ends.
One can only hope
Including today's episode, 6 are left. Halfway of season one, and I think they only intend two 12 show seasons. I too think the episodes have been getting better.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Just started E7.
So far E1-3 was a prologue, and 4-6 was the first chapter.
I’m guessing that the next 3 episodes will form another chapter.
Whee!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this one. Rogue One is the only Disney era DW movie I really like, that was a great movie. Solo was enjoyable as a fun heist movie set in the SW universe let down by a poor lead but it had some wonderful moments. The sequel trilogy was just awful, lazy story telling, tired old tropes, gaping holes and stuff that just blew the sense of immersion that is necessary to enjoy sci-fi fantasy movies. I thought the Mandalorian was very meh, not bad but not especially good either. Andor however I am enjoying. With this and Star Trek SNW I am finally enjoying new SW and ST content again.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this one. Rogue One is the only Disney era DW movie I really like, that was a great movie. Solo was enjoyable as a fun heist movie set in the SW universe let down by a poor lead but it had some wonderful moments. The sequel trilogy was just awful, lazy story telling, tired old tropes, gaping holes and stuff that just blew the sense of immersion that is necessary to enjoy sci-fi fantasy movies. I thought the Mandalorian was very meh, not bad but not especially good either. Andor however I am enjoying. With this and Star Trek SNW I am finally enjoying new SW and ST content again.
I agree..

But

I find myself liking "Andor" more and more...
Waiting for the next episodes and praying that the Series isn't cancelled by Disney.
Re-watched Rogue one a few eeks ago.. Perhaps the best Star Wars movies... The bar is low but the movies is very good IMO.

Peace.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the idea of a character led story which lets the viewer think for themselves and which presents a nuanced multi-dimensional cast of characters. There's a moral ambiguity about everything in Andor which I find much more believable than most SW (notwithstanding the fact you have to buy into the idea of an alternative fantasy universe).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So this week 10 minutes of story stretched to an irrelevant hour. And even that was completely predictable Disney bs.

Unground

I thought it was the best Star Wars themed thing I've seen actually, perhaps tied with Mandalorian Season 1.

For anyone interested in the visual design (and why it works so well IMO), this is worth a look

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So this week 10 minutes of story stretched to an irrelevant hour. And even that was completely predictable Disney bs.
Agree. Not sure why many are praising Andor? For the most part I've found it slow and boring.
^ The building architecture may be good but OTOH I find the rest very weak in CGI when it comes to aliens, spacecraft, etc.
Mostly just humanoids walking around on slightly futuristic set.

Top Bottom