• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Wars: Andor (TV)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Almost everything about Star Wars is silly, from day one. That's why many people (myself included) liked it back then and still do today. I liked Andor after all, not the first episodes, but gradually I got there. Still haven't got over the fact that our hero is at least a sociopath.

Not everything has to be serious and emulate real life. If you need something like that, there are plenty of series out there doing just that, much better that any Star Wars can do.
This stuff is first and foremost supposed to be FUN!
It's action/adventure SciFi, the 23rd century or so version of a good cowboy movie.
(Where's John Wayne when we need him?)
Seriously Andor badly fell off the tracks and episode after episode became a worse boring snooze-fest with each week.
Almost as dumb a presentation of the SW genre as the musical StarTrek episode was of ST. :facepalm:
WTF are these people thinking?
If we're going to have these "made for TV" shorts can we please get back to Mandalorian, Boba Fett, even Ahsoka types, were mostly good.
book-of-boba-fett-finale-boba-killing-bane.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My only commentary is that it seems everybody wants non-stop action from any show or movie; there is no room for Drama or Character Development anymore. So, short attention span wins?
:facepalm:
It’s worse really. Action just hides a lot of the incompetence. These “modern” writers can’t write drama nor action, nor do they care one ounce about the source material or canon. Just watch that 10 minute compilation video of interviews with Disney, Marvel and Star Wars writers that went viral recently. After that you know why most of this stuff sucks!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s worse really. Action just hides a lot of the incompetence. These “modern” writers can’t write drama nor action, nor do they care one ounce about the source material or canon. Just watch that 10 minute compilation video of interviews with Disney, Marvel and Star Wars writers that went viral recently. After that you know why most of this stuff sucks!
Yes, you can create tension, expectation and a reaction in your audience without action. Most modern writers at Disney are chosen primarily from DEI criteria and simply are hacks at their job. So they don't know this. While I thought Andor got overly slow for about 3 episodes the writers were pretty good on it and better editing would have helped what was at its core a good story line.

PS if you want some pretty well written TV the recent Monsieur Spade is surprisingly good.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While I thought Andor got overly slow for about 3 episodes the writers were pretty good on it and better editing would have helped what was at its core a good story line.
As far as it goes, Andor seems one of the better written shows of the franchise, but admittedly, the bar is quite low. Nevertheless I welcome season 2.

PS if you want some pretty well written TV the recent Monsieur Spade is surprisingly good.
Sadly I have nowhere to watch it besides getting it from the high seas. Thoroughly enjoying Tokyo Vice on HBO at the moment though.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as it goes, Andor seems one of the better written shows of the franchise, but admittedly, the bar is quite low. Nevertheless I welcome season 2.

Sadly I have nowhere to watch it besides getting it from the high seas. Thoroughly enjoying Tokyo Vice on HBO at the moment though.
Oh yeah, I love Tokyo Vice and just noticed the new episodes yesterday. Haven't watched them yet. Probably will do so over the week end. I'm surprised that show was not a big hit.

I also agree about the Disney offerings having a low bar. Very low and dropping by the looks of things.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been watching it, and I keep screaming to the screen, Get On With It Already..!
God knows how many episodes it will take them to tell a story that could easily be wrapped up in a 2hour show at the most.
Episodic TV at it's worst, milk it for the most commercial breaks possible.
Thank God for the DVR
. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been watching it, and I keep screaming to the screen, Get On With It Already..!
God knows how many episodes it will take them to tell a story that could easily be wrapped up in a 2hour show at the most.
Episodic TV at it's worst, milk it for the most commercial breaks possible.
Thank God for the DVR
. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I can see someone having that take on it. I'd even say it is on the slow side, but watching it late at night it hits the spot for me. Maybe I've raised my opinion too much after trying to watch so much total garbage that seems to be out recently. There is slow pointless and stupid, fast pointless and stupid, worse than pointless and stupid, with finally intentionally hostile toward original content intent.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But also, not everything Star Wars related has to be fun and silly, just because it started that way, right? Right?

Let me see at Reception section on Wikipedia. Well, looks like they are creating successful and entertaining (if not "fun") product. How dare they!
Put the Star Wars name on most anything and the numbers will be big. Still a total sleeper.
Same crap going on at Marvel, hasn't been a decent release since they killed Tony Stark.
Ant-Man, Spider-Man Aqua-Man, blah, I want to vomit.
They're destroying what used to be a great, fun movie franchise..
Better find a way to revive him like they did Super-Man.
Long live Iron-Man and Pepper Potts. ;)

I can't even talk about the massacre of Guardians of the Galaxy in #3. :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And now for something really good.
Screenshot at 2024-02-11 04-32-09.png

Back around 1982 I never would have dreamed I'd be able to sit here watching Tom on a 85" flat screen. :p

The Dr. and Leela, what an awesome set of stems she had!
Screenshot at 2024-02-11 04-52-48.png

Triliza

Forum Donor
But also, not everything Star Wars related has to be fun and silly, just because it started that way, right? Right?
Maybe silly was a strong word, I was referring more to the way fighting is done and some other aspects of the world.

It doesn't have to be fun and light all the time, but it doesn't need to become entirely about humans either. And we need a psychiatrist-psychologist to make an evaluation of Andor.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And now for something really good.
View attachment 348906

Back around 1982 I never would have dreamed I'd be able to sit here watching Tom on a 85" flat screen. :p

The Dr. and Leela, what an awesome set of stems she had!
View attachment 348916
It was rubbish before and it was rubbish afterwards but those episodes with Tom Baker were Proper Telly.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It was rubbish before and it was rubbish afterwards but those episodes with Tom Baker were Proper Telly.
For sure the Tom Baker years were the best of Dr Who, but I wouldn't call the rest "rubbish" with the exception
of this last Jodie "PC Inclusive" one, junk, terrible. Naturally some were better than others but it was the first
"William Hartnell" doctor and his grand-daughter that drew me in and got me hooked as a Who'ite (even if he could
be terribly hokey at times) LOL
GettyImages-592254958-2a0cfe1.jpg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Looks like Andor finished filming in February. Still not slated to release until '25.

Top Bottom