• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Now this looks the goods;

1651837294917.png

MV5BMTI3ZTk5YWItZTE2Yy00ZmRmLWFkYzctZjE1ZGZmOWEwNWNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_.jpg

MV5BOTM4NTIyOTEtZDZiZi00NDg2LTg3YTUtZThiMWZjNTA2YTk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

star-trek-strange-new-worlds.jpg

JSmith

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We’ll see… Recent Star Trek series on Paramount seem to simply be exercises on who can out-woke one other. I offer recent seasons of Star Trek Discovery and Picard as examples. Season 2 of Picard was utter garbage.

Martin

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Season 2 of Picard was utter garbage.
I'm up to ep.6 and quite enjoying it, however it can be a bit slow in parts. Some complain Stewart is too old... he is playing a 96 year old person.

The critics @RT are generally very harsh... this new series is sitting at 100%, something I have rarely seen there.

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 1st episode was visually scrumptious. I also like this is going to be episodic and not a single serialized show. So far so good though a bit more woke than is necessary. I will be watching more and keeping fingers crossed.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We’ll see… Recent Star Trek series on Paramount seem to simply be exercises on who can out-woke one other. I offer recent seasons of Star Trek Discovery and Picard as examples. Season 2 of Picard was utter garbage.

Martin
Season two of Picard sucked because of awful writing.

If you're bothered by the world being woke you need to rethink your life choices. I don't think Trek is nearly progressive enough.

That said, the premiere of SNW looked promising.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
The 1st episode was visually scrumptious. I also like this is going to be episodic and not a single serialized show. So far so good though a bit more woke than is necessary. I will be watching more and keeping fingers crossed.
Agreed. A great start and solid cast. Lots of potential and excited about the next show for a change.

jbattman1016

I'm waiting on the episode when they go back in time and there is another immigration raid scene.

Honestly, let's see how the new show goes. Discovery took a few seasons for it to figure it self out... but I didn't even watch the latest season because I didn't care anymore lol, but I know there are people that enjoy it, so that's fine for them.

Picard is watchable.

Lower Decks is good, but I'm afraid the next season I'll get tired of the shows writing style, but never know.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Thread Notice: Let’s leave the Woke/Not Woke, too woke, not enough woke crap out of the thread. Sheesh. Can we have a conversation without all the anger and confrontation. Respect and dignity or don’t post. If your coming here looking for a fight, your in the wrong place.

Please and thank you for your understanding.

RichT

Seems to have lots of potential, looking forward to episode 2. This could be fun, regards

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm up to ep.6 and quite enjoying it, however it can be a bit slow in parts. Some complain Stewart is too old... he is playing a 96 year old person.

The critics @RT are generally very harsh... this new series is sitting at 100%, something I have rarely seen there.

JSmith
Like the development of the Borg. Can't wait for the Borgatie spinnoff.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully this will be a return to form for Star Trek. I thought some of the visuals and cinematography were beautifully done, and it all looked and felt like Star Trek. The story was OK, not brilliant but watchable. I found Discovery and Picard shockingly bad, and although I quite enjoyed the first reboot movie it wasn't really Star Trek to me, but this one looks promising.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This might finally get me to sign up for Paramount +. The soap opera aspect of the other versions together with stories that never made sense long term killed it for me. Episodic nature of this is critical for me to watch.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This might finally get me to sign up for Paramount +. The soap opera aspect of the other versions together with stories that never made sense long term killed it for me. Episodic nature of this is critical for me to watch.
Great serialized TV is terrific. It can tell stories even long movies cannot manage in a way that is much more entertaining and successful. Like GOT or the Expanse. OTOH, so many series that are serialized in the last few years might be good for a season or so and then fall apart. Once they mess that story arc up everything after it is pretty much a waste of resources and not worth watching. Writing a long story arc over several seasons is much more difficult and can fall apart for many, many more reasons than weekly episodes.

With a weekly episode, you sometimes get a bad episode. No big deal if the show is good you can have plenty of good ones that come after and aren't dependent upon the others. So I too am very glad they decided to make this one episodic. The first episode was pretty good though the story a bit rushed especially in the conclusion. Still not bad and I can understand they wanted to introduce lots of new elements in the first one to get it off the ground.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OTOH, so many series that are serialized in the last few years might be good for a season or so and then fall apart.
Problem is that like soap operas, they make it up as they go along. Good guy dies. Good guy comes back as a twin. Good guy is really bad guy. Random crew members are killed off. And maybe they come back.

For these things to work, the rules of the universe needs to be consistent. This is another area they go wrong on, inventing new weapons, lose them, get them back, etc.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this looks the goods;

View attachment 204877

MV5BMTI3ZTk5YWItZTE2Yy00ZmRmLWFkYzctZjE1ZGZmOWEwNWNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_.jpg

MV5BOTM4NTIyOTEtZDZiZi00NDg2LTg3YTUtZThiMWZjNTA2YTk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

star-trek-strange-new-worlds.jpg

JSmith
Just saw the first episode of Strange new Worlds. It feels, looks an smells like the Kelvin timeline an i don't like the Kelvin timeline but that is a quite subjective opinion.:facepalm: Big change Pike will not die in the Kelvin timeline..

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Big change Pike will not die in the Kelvin timeline..
Since this just aired, maybe spoiler tags are in order for now? ;)
Pike has already had the experience of seeing how and when he dies in this first episode... so hopefully it doesn't go down the path you suggest.

JSmith

Top Bottom