• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so I finally had the chance to have a look. They definitely did something about the look. It looks much more true to the original series and the visuals are pretty sweet.

Al in all, for a pilot, it's really not too bad. After all the introductions there was really little time left for the main story, and it showed. It was shallow and rushed. I quite like most of the cast though. I hope they don't all have tragic backstories... The bar for this series is really very low. It very much shows in the rotten tomatoes reviews that people are finally glad that there is a watchable Star Trek show again. So we'll see what future episodes bring. I hope it gets better. I also hope they dial down on the canon butchering though?

But WTF is a warp bomb? Why is the Prime Directive not called "Prime Directive"? Why do they need windmills and solar panels in the future, they are at least a level II civilization? Jail? Gorn? First contact hasn't even happened yet..
The communicator looks like my old 90ties Nokia:facepalm:

Report •••

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The communicator looks like my old 90ties Nokia:facepalm:
They call it a "phone" in one of the first scenes, so there's that...

Another episode, another tragic back story, another bunch of grave canon violations :facepalm:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They call it a "phone" in one of the first scenes, so there's that...

Another episode, another tragic back story, another bunch of grave canon violations :facepalm:
It is what it is. I'm 63 an a die hard trekkie already from 1968. So is did saw alle series (an re-runs). Must say Discovery first two seasons where not bad despite qurious things like spock had a steph sister no mentoning about his brother whatsoever? The plot was quite good. Esspecialy the mirror univers episodes an the changes of the characthers. The last two seasons where quite bad it had to do to be more or less sociale correct, dignity, brave quite boring.

Picard seasons 1 was a great dissepointment. Season 2 was better. On the otherhand Enterprise an deep space 9 wher lot of times a drag to look at. Lots of episodes/story lines about nothing.
So whats new...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought episode 3 was a better episode. Still a little off, a little too much having to pull out every crew members personal issues. That diminished what could have been more about a bigger theme. That of genetic enhancements or eugenics. Sort of turned it into a "we are all really the same even when we are very different" sort of a theme. Everyone is uniquely troubled just like me if you like. I think the big story needs to be the main story each episode. Reminds me of working with teams of people who were drama queens, where everything has to be about their problems, when what we needed was for people to overcome or lay aside all of that and just do their damn job. Do so without thinking doing the job your supposed to do was special rather than simply fulfilling base requirements of having that job. Maybe I'm just becoming too curmudgeonly.

Also noticed something in the credits that had slipped by me. The listing of Covid-19 Supervisor, compliance officers, observers and testing coordinators. I guess they were necessary and deserve credit too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny how they in the first episode use genetic manipulation to look alien, and then we find out in E03 that genetic manipulation is off-limits :facepalm: So which is it?
I noticed that too, and put it out of mind so an not to ruin things for the whole episode. Maybe they needed more continuity assistants than Covid observers. Being generous the earlier manipulation was temporary rather than permanent, and didn't confer additional strength, power, intelligence or other advantages except for disguise. And yeah that is stretching it all to the breaking point even then. Plus you'd think genetic manipulation might be what would fix the doctor's daughter. His action to keep her pattern alive in critical equipment belonging to the starship makes me think he would not hesitate a millisecond to use genetic manipulation for his daughter if he knew it would work for her condition.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Despite my tender years I enjoyed reruns of the original series, then the JJ re-boot films which evoked ToS fairly effectively for me, but nothing really in-between (the low-budget early movies I've tried were shockingly bad). This series I'm enjoying, two episodes in and about to watch the third. An episodic focus follows the pattern of the original, which was pretty old-school in that respect. I do enjoy a good long-term plot arc, but tire of poorly-executed writers' room somersaults.

As an aside, I have limited interest in timelines or adherence to canon, etc—one series I recall where alternate timelines were worth my attention was Fringe.

If you are thinking about sci-fi on Paramount+ then their version of The Man Who Fell to Earth may be of interest (it starts well but it's still in my queue so no further judgement). Among their exclusives, not sci-fi strictly speaking—although it does manage an X-Files vibe—their best show I think is Evil which has excellent scripting and performances from Katja Herbers and Mike Colter (who you may have enjoyed as Luke Cage) among others. Yellowjackets is straight-up split timeline drama, also worth a look.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you are thinking about sci-fi on Paramount+ then their version of The Man Who Fell to Earth may be of interest (it starts well but it's still in my queue so no further judgement).
I liked the acting on that and general premise, but the ending of the first episode was not done that well. So I lost interest.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I liked the acting on that and general premise, but the ending of the first episode was not done that well. So I lost interest.
That would be disappointing, I just sampled the first 10 minutes or so and queued it up for later. I generally like Ejiofor and Harris, and of course Roeg's movie. I probably should read the book.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just so long as it sticks to being like Star Trek I'll be happy. I don't think it is especially good other than in terms of the visuals which are superb, but neither is it rubbish. I guess it says something that not being rubbish is now something of an accolade for a new Star Trek show.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am really enjoying SNW, I've been pretty strident in my criticism of Discovery and Picard so it's only fair to be fulsome in my praise of this one, bravo!

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm enjoying the romp. It does bother me a bit they've got tech TOS didn't have and other timeline stuff but after seeing what's happened to Star Wars - nothing worth getting riled up about. Prelude to Axanar is an incredible fan film, so good it was shut down by Paramount, I wish they'd go more in this kind of direction though.

I've recently started rewatching Babylon 5 because the girlfriend has never seen it before. The first season is a bit of a slog but I'm remembering how great it was for it's time and realizing how it changed so much television that came after it in regards to the giant story arc.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On another note, The Orville season 3 just started. It's still a million miles ahead of any recent Star Trek outing.

Meanwhile, SNW seems to hold up its apparent lack of super suck, so that's a positive!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On another note, The Orville season 3 just started. It's still a million miles ahead of any recent Star Trek outing.

Meanwhile, SNW seems to hold up its apparent lack of super suck, so that's a positive!
Shame it is on some obscure subscription channel. I don't know why Fox got rid of it, it was their best show by a country mile.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Shame it is on some obscure subscription channel. I don't know why Fox got rid of it, it was their best show by a country mile.
Well, the first two seasons are on Disney+. Sadly not the new season.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom