• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stanford University audio reference selection vinyl player

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good gawd man…
Who do you want it financed by?

And what is the crime exactly?
Spending public money should always be done on a rational approach like comparison of contestants to an objective catalogue of requirements and not on personal emotions or hobbies.

Holmz

Major Contributor

dr0ss

Looks to me like slamming the barn door shut after the horses have escaped.
I have a Pickering cartridge with the brush. The brush extends a couple of grooves either side of the groove being played, so does handle some dust before the cartridge hits it. Not exactly a deep clean, but it is OK with big surface dust. I'd say it is not less effective than those carbon fiber brushes some people (including me sometimes) use for dust.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
They can keep their emotional cartridge and play back on a DirectStream if they wish. As long as they have proper speed control, good electronics to recover and digitise the signal the other bits don't matter that much. If they are that worried, they can do what I've seen done elsewhere - use an isolated dust-free environment and clean the record properly first. You don't actually need to be in the room when the digitisation itself takes place, you don't need speakers playing to cause feedback: you can isolate well before you get to the turntable itself.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

John B

ELP told me they use "red" lasers instead of cheaper mass produced blue ones because it provides better reflectivity on the surfaces they need to track. Noisy is an understatement. I have to ultrasonic and glue clean anything I want to play on the thing. There are all sorts of concessions inherent to this approach. Not the least is unscrambling RIAA properly and precisely servo controlling the laser height when tracking grooves. The platter assembly is also trash so you have to take the cover off to make sure you are center aligned or it sounds terrible. Here is a best case scenario with a mint 78rpm. I built my own biquads to adjust the historical curve and nulled the stereo signal in post. LOTS of cleanup as well.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
ELP told me they use "red" lasers instead of cheaper mass produced blue ones because it provides better reflectivity on the surfaces they need to track. Noisy is an understatement. I have to ultrasonic and glue clean anything I want to play on the thing. There are all sorts of concessions inherent to this approach. Not the least is unscrambling RIAA properly and precisely servo controlling the laser height when tracking grooves. The platter assembly is also trash so you have to take the cover off to make sure you are center aligned or it sounds terrible. Here is a best case scenario with a mint 78rpm. I built my own biquads to adjust the historical curve and nulled the stereo signal in post. LOTS of cleanup as well.

It does sound pretty good, though. And not too noisy.

John B

When I am back in my Seattle place in a few months I'll pull this beast out of storage and post some raw examples. Lots of potential, but definitely not something I'd buy at full price (I got their show floor model). The nice thing about this method is the clicks immediately ramp in amplitude so cleanup algorithms work pretty well considering the amount of noise they initially read.

Top Bottom