• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Standmounts with subs vs towers with subs

Nwickliff

I know the standmounts vs towers has been beaten to death. Let the flogging begin. But what about standmounts with sub vs towers with same subs.

You'll never catch me dead without at least a single sub, preferably dual (not sitting in the front of the room next to the towers but in corners that actually deal with the room modes and standing waves to create meaningful bass). I cross at 80 so I don't hear the localized bass from the subs.

I listen to music and movies at moderate levels but when the kids and the wife leave it's freaking party time!

Is it absolutely silly to expect my Klipsch RP600m's in 3500cft room at 7ft away to keep up with my dual Ultimax 18's in sealed 4cft enclosures and about 1400 watts each? GR research upgrade for the RP600m's so crossover dip fixed and no rez added to help with the box coming alive at higher SPL. I don't feel like I'm hearing a bunch of distortion but the speakers don't feel like they're producing the SPL's effortlessly either. Dont know how much of this is just in my head as I've never ran bookshelves for movies etc. Used to have OG Klipsch Forte's and I never worried. Had Klipsch rf82II's and my ears would start to bleed before I worried (ouch that top end was HOOOT).

I have a feeling I need some towers ( don't want to have to deal with crossover fix again so wouldn't be Klipsch).

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's an opportunity in the ASR classifieds to update your mains with a set of JBL HDI-3600 towers.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends on your listening volume. 7ft isn't far, so the RP-600M shouldn't be too stressed unless you are trying to hit reference level.

2 cubic feet is really small for the Ultimax 18" driver, to the point that using the 12" or 15" version might actually perform better.

OP
N

Nwickliff

Depends on your listening volume. 7ft isn't far, so the RP-600M shouldn't be too stressed unless you are trying to hit reference level.

2 cubic feet is really small for the Ultimax 18" driver, to the point that using the 12" or 15" version might actually perform better.
haha, you're right, that is small! I meant 4.0 cubic foot. I'm watching some movies pretty close to reference. 85% maybe

Top Bottom