• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Standalone DAC for use with a Marantz AV8805A preamp?

Ellisr63

I have a Marantz AV8805a preamp with DIY Klipsch K402 MEH horns, currently being driven with Icepower 50ASX2BTL amps for the EV DH1A compression drivers (soon to be replaced with Celestion AXi2050s. I run the Icepower 125ASX2BTL amps for the dual Celestion 15" woofers (in each horn). I am waiting for the Topping PA5 amps to see if they can make a noticeable difference in vocal clarity, and bass (it all sounds great currently, but I am looking to see what improvements can be made with a different amp. Now the big question is will a standalone DAC make much of a difference compared to the ESS DAC in my Marantz AVP? I listen to music with Tidal and Roon.
I watch movies with my Zappiti Reference player and I assume if I had and external DAC and ran it to the balanced inputs it would bypass another D to A conversion, correct?
I was looking at the Topping e50, Gustard x16, or a Denefrips Aries II (under $1k budget...prefer the best for my money.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Are you using any room correction or bass management?

It is doubtful it would make much difference, other than preventing you from being able to use any of that.

Mark K

No. I have been too lazy and ....besides my wife uses the area all the time...so the area are mainly for home theatre only.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Now the big question is will a standalone DAC make much of a difference compared to the ESS DAC in my Marantz AVP?
Depends on many things. For instance: if you want it to, it usually makes a difference. Also, if the standalone DAC is louder, it usually makes a difference too.

I watch movies with my Zappiti Reference player and I assume if I had and external DAC and ran it to the balanced inputs it would bypass another D to A conversion, correct?
You mean compared to feeding your processor digitally? As noted, much of this depends on whether or not you make use any of the DSP functions in the processor’s pipeline, like room correction or bass management. If you do, then I can only see your switch to introduce conversions, not bypass.

Question though. What is it about this $5k processor that makes you want to keep it, despite the fact that you are unsure about its DAC performance?

OP
E

Ellisr63

Depends on many things. For instance: if you want it to, it usually makes a difference. Also, if the standalone DAC is louder, it usually makes a difference too.

You mean compared to feeding your processor digitally? As noted, much of this depends on whether or not you make use any of the DSP functions in the processor’s pipeline, like room correction or bass management. If you do, then I can only see your switch to introduce conversions, not bypass.

Question though. What is it about this $5k processor that makes you want to keep it, despite the fact that you are unsure about its DAC performance?
I actually am thinking of selling it...since my 2 channel Denafrips Athena/Pontus setup sounds so much better. Currently I am running the XLR outs from the 8805a to the Athena and then from the Athena to my crossover. The main reason I am looking to sell the 8805A is we are looking to move to Europe and i want a world wide voltage preamp.

OP
E

Ellisr63

Are you using any room correction or bass management?

It is doubtful it would make much difference, other than preventing you from being able to use any of that.
I have Dirac, but I have not used it, yet. I do have 11 acoustic panels plus 2 13' tall bass traps, but the room is about 20,000 CF.

OP
E

Ellisr63

I guess second hand price of AV preamp is predictable to be very low
We will see...the replacement increased in price to $7k..$1500 more than mine.

Top Bottom