• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Stand Subwoofers" like the Genelec W371, Kii BXT, etc. Ideally with DSP & Multi-Drivers

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the idea of speaker stands being subwoofers, and them having room correction to work with the speakers... Are there any other companies I'm missing who make things like what Genelec and Kii do?

Even if it wasn't DSP controlled, a multi-driver stand could perhaps be calibrated with a MiniDSP and get rid of room nodes by emitting bass from a few spots for a more universal application that wouldn't rely in proprietary stuff and having all the speakers from the same brand.

1581018126074.png

https://www.kiiaudio.com/bxt.php

index.php

https://www.genelec.com/w371a

Attachments

• 1581018067127.png
    1581018067127.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 6,935

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the idea of speaker stands being subwoofers, and them having room correction to work with the speakers... Are there any other companies I'm missing who make things like what Genelec and Kii do?

Even if it wasn't DSP controlled, a multi-driver stand could perhaps be calibrated with a MiniDSP and get rid of room nodes by emitting bass from a few spots for a more universal application that wouldn't rely in proprietary stuff and having all the speakers from the same brand.

View attachment 48888
https://www.kiiaudio.com/bxt.php

index.php

https://www.genelec.com/w371a
Neumann does with the KH870 for the KH420.

However you should refrain from this idea. The best position in a given room for a sub is very seldom identical to the best position for the sats, so either bass suffers or soundstage.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, for example normally you want to place subwoofers close to the front wall to avoid SBIR nulls at the listening position, something you rather avoid for imaging precision at higher frequencies:

1581027966725.png

The above shown new subwoofers of Kii and Genelec are rare exceptions as they offer cardioid radiation pattern and thus could be placed also where it makes sense for the satellites, that is further away from the front wall.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot remember where I first saw, but I like the modularity it offers. Linkwitz does something comparable with the LX521 (not sure the bass portion and upper portion can be separated). . Babgy has a bass module for some of his DIY speakers. If you do not have a dedicated space, it is no worse than a big tower. Also, if you find an ugly positioning issue, you can always separate the stack...

If you have room eq. that handles multiple subwoofers, it helps overcome the placement constraints. I do not care if a sub crawl determines that my subwoofer is best in the middle of room, am just not putting it there. :)

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Kii 3 wasn't so expensive... I think a full system is about $35,000 USD.

No kidding. A larger company like Focal or JBL needs to get their act together and push the envelope with a system like that that can be mass produced cheaper.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of stands, why are subwoofers always on the floor and not elsewhere vertically in the three dimensional space of a listening room?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of stands, why are subwoofers always on the floor and not elsewhere vertically in the three dimensional space of a listening room?
Why pay money to possibly create comb effect, and lower output. Plus they are easier to hide on the floor. I'd like a room with one in every room corner.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plus they are easier to hide on the floor.

My listening room is so small that not even a cockroach could hide in it.

Then again, our cockroaches in Panama can be quite large...

Panama Cockroach.jpg

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I had $35,000 for a pair of speakers I'd by a 2008 Porsche 911 cabriolet (speakers included). ;)

Martin
If I had $35,000 I'd be responsible with it and put it towards down payment on a house. When we are talking about buying stuff for our hobbies, we are always doing so with disposable income. Either money we save over time, or sacrificing eating dinner out a few times a month, etc. But yeah. If the Kii 3 were even half price, which would still put them at an astonishing high $17,500, I could consider them.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
ocean-way-hr4s_64464_1.jpg

Ocean Way HR4. https://oceanwayaudio.com/hr4/

""Ocean Way Audio has released an accurate, wide dynamic range reference monitor for the recording studio environment. The Ocean Way Audio HR4 Reference Monitor is a 24", integrated 2-way dual-horn system that can be placed in any environment to provide an exceptionally accurate monitoring experience. The Ocean Way HR4S package includes the HR4 with the 800 watt two-way, side-ported S12A studio sub for extended low frequency monitoring.

At the heart of the acoustic design is HR4's dual/hybrid waveguide system delivering a a 100 x 40 degree window. Its unique design is realized with the aid of high-grade, 3D solid modeling. This accurate process allows for creating geometrically-complex surfaces that create accurately-matched and detailed imaging within the system. As a result, the HR4 delivers a stunning 100 degree dispersion pattern over a very wide audio range. An unusually-wide horizontal sweet-spot is revealed with rich detail across a broad area of the listening environment. The consistency of its stereo image, ever at the far corners of the room, is delivered due to the highly consistent directivity response of the speaker system.

The HF driver is a high definition design with excellent mechanical linearity. The LF driver is geometrically reinforced aluminum cone with a vented case aluminum chassis yielding optimum strength and low compression. Combined with the sealed cabinet, the system is tuned to perfection with a seamless transition between the drivers. The two-way, self-powered design delivers an unprecedented level of performance allowing for flexibility of placement in the room with a matched uniform frequency response of 35 Hz to 25 kHz, and an extraordinary 116 dB maximum SPL between channels. In spite of the HR4's minimal footprint, its exceptional low frequency response eliminates the need for a subwoofer.

Note the release of the new HR5 has less than 3000USD with the sub that will come in the next few months ...

Last edited:

lkong

LInkwitz was trying to design around the idea of having the sub as a stand
L1000603-c.jpg

I think somewhere there was a measurement about vibration send up from sub to the main.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had $35,000 I'd be responsible with it and put it towards down payment on a house. When we are talking about buying stuff for our hobbies, we are always doing so with disposable income. Either money we save over time, or sacrificing eating dinner out a few times a month, etc. But yeah. If the Kii 3 were even half price, which would still put them at an astonishing high $17,500, I could consider them.

I own a home and have my retirement covered but I do not have $35,000 in disposable income. If I did it would go toward the aforementioned Porsche or possibly a Factory Five Mk4 Roadster. :)

Martin

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
I own a home and have my retirement covered but I do not have $35,000 in disposable income. If I did it would go toward the aforementioned Porsche or possibly a Factory Five Mk4 Roadster. :)

Martin
You're a little under 3 times my age. So of course you own a home.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Martin
I am always tempted by a nice car but based on driving probably 15 minutes per day on average whilst I listen to music several hours per day, so I would never spend as much on a car as my hifi (and never have :))

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
with $35,000 I'm dubious about the Porsche or a wrecked Porsche...

Top Bottom