• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Stand Subwoofers" like the Genelec W371, Kii BXT, etc. Ideally with DSP & Multi-Drivers

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! I’ve watched that video several times :D. It’s a shame, that the W371 is overpriced(at least imo), and especially given the price of the 8351, which I see as a steal for $8k.

I was thinking the other day about the 8351/W371, and how it compares to the Revel Gem2/Salon2. Given that the W371 turns the 8351 into a 4 way tower with the exact same extension as the Salon2, and the 8351 and Gem2 are similarly priced, I think it would be awesome if the 8351+W371 were priced similarly to the Salon2 :D. That would be an amazing value, and comparable to the excellent value that the 8351 is on it’s own. Of course, 8351+W371 has some serious advantages over the Salon2, namely directivity control. But, Salon2 has advantages of its own, like wider dispersion and furniture grade finish.

In the world of high end audio(Magico, B&W, Paradigm, Khama, etc.) though, we’re still talking excellent value, even at current prices ;).

It seems genelec while offering incredible value on the monitors really get you hard on the subs. It’s okay for maybe one sub but if you wish to solve your room problems with multi sub it seems the whole GLM system will not suffice.

I wonder if a proper multi sub setup could offer similar benefits to the W371 with another DSP correction/bass management system. How hard would it be to setup?

At the end of the day the 83x1 plus w371 is still a stereo bass solution it seems.

I have also read while it can cross over at 500Hz that GLM has it crossing over under 200Hz in some rooms. Would that leave directivity bulge? Another thing I noticed is that the cardioid mode is not the one most people settle on or am I wrong on that?

I’m not sure if it is possible to get similar results up to 500Hz using 4 subs and more holistic room DSP system or does GLM handle that?

Is it possible to buy a large midwoofer in a box and then put it on a stand above a subwoofer box and then use off the shelf DSP software to tune it to offer some of these abilities?

What would be a reasonable solution to this that costs maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of this? I suppose 4 subs to start right? Maybe SVS.

If GLM handled multi subs properly then at least 4 GLM subs could be a long term if expensive path. Less than a pair of w371 though.

Last edited:

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems genelec while offering incredible value on the monitors really get you hard on the subs. It’s okay for maybe one sub but if you wish to solve your room problems with multi sub it seems the whole GLM system will not suffice.

I wonder if a proper multi sub setup could offer similar benefits to the W371 with another DSP correction/bass management system. How hard would it be to setup?

At the end of the day the 83x1 plus w371 is still a stereo bass solution it seems.

I have also read while it can cross over at 500Hz that GLM has it crossing over under 200Hz in some rooms. Would that leave directivity bulge? Another thing I noticed is that the cardioid mode is not the one most people settle on or am I wrong on that?

I’m not sure if it is possible to get similar results up to 500Hz using 4 subs and more holistic room DSP system or does GLM handle that?

Is it possible to buy a large midwoofer in a box and then put it on a stand above a subwoofer box and then use off the shelf DSP software to tune it to offer some of these abilities?

What would be a reasonable solution to this that costs maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of this? I suppose 4 subs to start right? Maybe SVS.

If GLM handled multi subs properly then at least 4 GLM subs could be a long term if expensive path. Less than a pair of w371 though.

Small rooms have frequency response issues up to 300+ hz. Subwoofer is not enough.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also if Genelec gets around to making a 6”/8” version and prices the pair at $7-8k and then you need a 7360 at a minimum anyway the setup could be $17.5-18.5k. People would start with 8341/51 plus 7360 and then have an upgrade path which is attainable. As it stands the w371 is really pricey. They deserve it for the innovation but I hope they make a cheaper version. I think it will sell like hot cakes. So many existing owners who might be ready now or in 1-2 years to get that upgrade.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning

paudio

Uh, yeah but -10dB is like 122dB SPL. These are for outdoors / concert venues, SPL comes first in those situations.
I agree. Though in this discussion only criteria it really meets is that it is a subwoofer stand. It is a relatively poor subwoofer but yes maybe good for most live performances. Though even then it's really marketed to be light and portable.

Does it have DSP?

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if you just use the line array with another sub? Perhaps 4 nice SVS/Rhythmik subs with MSO optimization.

I’m very curious about line arrays now. Might even be a better option than point source.

Let’s say you treat the immediate area around the speakers and sit some distance and listen at spirted levels.

Maybe we can tame this PA system for home use?

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. Though in this discussion only criteria it really meets is that it is a subwoofer stand. It is a relatively poor subwoofer but yes maybe good for most live performances. Though even then it's really marketed to be light and portable.

Does it have DSP?
I think even if it doesn’t a MiniSHD can be the DSP. Probably it does. Remember this is Bose. They were using analog “DSP” back in the 1970s in their 901 product.

Top Bottom