• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stacking two atom amps for balanced use?

Dotcha

Atom amp are known for their good performance, and above-anything C/P.
Only feature that Atom amp lacks is the balanced option. (*in my personal opinion)
Even if we have some nice balanced DACs with high C/Ps, such as E1DA, we cannot connect them to Atom.
How would it be if we separate two channels of balanced signal into two mono signal, and connect each of them into Atom amp, and connect each of them to receiver?
The first issue I expect is the volume mismatch. if amplification rate(or volume) between R+/R- amp and L+/L- amp are different, there would be volume mismatch btw channels. But channel mismatch could be adjusted to subjective satisfaction, easily by adjusting the volume of each amp.
Another way of using is that we use one atom for amplification of R+/L+ signal, and the other for R-/L- signal, the channel imbalance wouldn't be caused by difference amplification rate. Still, different amplification rate(or volume), would cause distortion though.
Is there any other problems that might be caused? I'm not seriously having this idea in mind, but if the channel imbalance is the only expected problem, for $200 it might worth a try. Please give any opinions, especially on possible problems. Thanks!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I don't know why word "balanced" was applied to headphone amps. It's a misnomer. Such amps have just bridged outputs providing more power.

If you need more power than an Atom can supply go for something bigger and more costly.

Top Bottom