• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stack or Combo? (M500, E30 L30, D50s A50s or schiit magni/modi 3)

john917

Hi All,

I am very new to this. I just got an active speaker (Edifier S880DB). I am looking at Dac/amp for the speaker and to control the speakers from the amp.

So based on the price in my country, the:
Price of SMSL M500 = Price D50s + A50s > Price Schiit magni+modi = Price E30 +L30.

My dilemma is spec-wise, the SMSL M500 looks better than the D50s + A50s.
Would you recommend the M500 or would a Stack be better?

I do not own any headphones yet.

Question:
-Would a Dac be enough to improve the active speaker, since the active speaker already have a built-in amp?
-Or a DAC/ AMP be better?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your speakers being active, they don't need external amplification. Be careful that " DAC / AMP " combo usually means " DAC / HEADPHONES AMP " combo ( " DAC / AMP " devices also exist but are called "Full Digital Amplifiers" usually - you can also have digital inputs in AVR).

So what you need is a DAC with pre-amp (that is to say: volume control) but not an amp.

I would go with a Topping DX3 Pro for instance.

What is your source? Do you plan to get headphones in the future?

Don't expect any sound quality gain anyway. Your speakers will be the limiting factor.

OP
J

john917

Your speakers being active, they don't need external amplification. Be careful that " DAC / AMP " combo usually means " DAC / HEADPHONES AMP " combo ( " DAC / AMP " devices also exist but are called "Full Digital Amplifiers" usually - you can also have digital inputs in AVR).

So what you need is a DAC with pre-amp (that is to say: volume control) but not an amp.

I would go with a Topping DX3 Pro for instance.

What is your source? Do you plan to get headphones in the future?

Don't expect any sound quality gain anyway. Your speakers will be the limiting factor.
Thank you! Hmmm Ok... so I would need a pre-amp.

My source is my computer, so would require a USB input DAC. I might get headphone in the future, saving money.

I did have headphones (AKG702) a really long time ago 8 years, but didn't know I needed an amp. I sold those off after 2 months, and bought IEM. Went from Klipsch to westone UM3x (Still one of my favourite) to a locally custom IEM. Now I cant live without a custom IEM, it too comfortable.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Price of SMSL M500 = Price D50s + A50s > Price Schiit magni+modi = Price E30 +L30.

The DACs, preamp outputs, and headphone amps in all of these devices will be very accurate. You would be unlikely to be able to hear any significant difference in sound quality due to the limits of human hearing.

So make your purchase decisions based upon something other than audio quality.

3125b

Major Contributor
But your S880DB already have digital inputs and a remote with volume control and such.
So ... why?

OP
J

john917

But your S880DB already have digital inputs and a remote with volume control and such.
So ... why?
hmm... I like controlling the volume via a volume dial.
So the issue now is, is it worth paying for the extra "convenience" for the volume dial at my fingertips.
But IF getting the dac/amp, does not improve the sound, then I might forgo the idea of getting one atm.

3125b

Major Contributor
No, it wouldn't be worth it for that. If you intent to buy some decent headphones in the future, then it would make a lot more sense.

OP
J

john917

Yes... With recent work from home trends, I am considering headphones (He35x, HE4XX or HD6XX) to start off with.

If I plan to get them, I probably consider the E30 L30 stack.

3125b

Major Contributor
In that case, you won't go wrong with any of the stacks in terms of performance. I'd say go for what you like best for whatever reason.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Hi All,

I am very new to this. I just got an active speaker (Edifier S880DB). I am looking at Dac/amp for the speaker and to control the speakers from the amp.

So based on the price in my country, the:

My dilemma is spec-wise, the SMSL M500 looks better than the D50s + A50s.
Would you recommend the M500 or would a Stack be better?

I do not own any headphones yet.

Question:
-Would a Dac be enough to improve the active speaker, since the active speaker already have a built-in amp?
-Or a DAC/ AMP be better?

I have M500+L30.

I like M500+L30 with Mr. speaker Aeon C. This compo smooth the sound little bit and push the presentation back little, Aeon has some buzz sound that I think because of the reflection of the close design.

BUT with Focal Clear Pro I liked M500 alone, as it has more present energy which Focal Clear Pro needed as it sound more warm and soft compare to Aeon C.

Top Bottom