• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SSL Fusion in a hifi system

Waxx

Major Contributor
In a private FB group a guy is going nuts for his new tool for better sound in his hifi soundsystem. He is a dj (mainly deep house and italo) but listen to a lot of music and uses Neumann HK410 speakers. But he found them to clinical and added this SSL Fusion to his setup. It's a 2K€ mastering tool from Solid State Logic that should emulate a 2" tape and the distortion those generate when pushed hard. His preamp is an Bozak AR6 rotary mixer and this device lives on the inserts of the master out (called loop on the mixer).

I would rather change amps or speakers if thought they are to clinical and use eq, but i don't think that from the HK410's (that also tested very good here). Using such a tool would not something i would do. It also uses compression to get there. What do you think...
ssl-fusion-analog-master-processor-1[2].jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not an audio reproduction device, but rather an effect machine, intended to be used when creating audio, not when listening to it. This belongs in a studio, not in a living room.

Scrappy

If you only used the tone controls, sure why not. Throw the transformer in there for fun. I’d keep it next to the listening position to play the memory game mode.

D

Deleted member 48726

That is not an audio reproduction device, but rather an effect machine, intended to be used when creating audio, not when listening to it. This belongs in a studio, not in a living room.
Who decides? - If you like what it does it belongs in the living room.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who decides?
You can do with it whatever you want, I’m just pointing out what it’s intended purpose is. If you like driving a tractor to the supermarket, all the power to you. Just don’t be surprised that some people will find it a strange fetish ;)

Top Bottom