• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

squeezebox touch/topping d50s compat.? Onkyo tx-8511 have internal dac?

gad

I am considering streaming tidal with the Squeezebox Touch with EDO via usb to a Topping D50S. Search found a poster using a SBT with a D30. Is it safe to assume if D30 is compatible that D50S is also compatible?

One of my systems is a squeezebox touch streaming tidal hi-fi->Onkyo tx-8511->axiom m80 spkrs. The SBT is connected to CD in. Am I hearing the SBT dac or is there an internal Onkyo dac? There is no mention of a dac in the Onkyo specs.

this is a great forum,
thanks,
gad-

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SBT is connected to CD in. Am I hearing the SBT dac or is there an internal Onkyo dac?

What connection are you using? Analog or digital?

SMc

One of my systems is a squeezebox touch streaming tidal hi-fi->Onkyo tx-8511->axiom m80 spkrs. The SBT is connected to CD in. Am I hearing the SBT dac or is there an internal Onkyo dac? There is no mention of a dac in the Onkyo specs.
That’s an analog input so you’re using the SBT dac which actually sounds okay. If you want some reassurance, there’s an Archimago’s Musings post with measurements from 2013.

The USB mod I believe enables higher bit rate files if you have them.

OP
G

gad

That’s an analog input so you’re using the SBT dac which actually sounds okay. If you want some reassurance, there’s an Archimago’s Musings post with measurements from 2013.

The USB mod I believe enables higher bit rate files if you have them.

My other main system previously had SBT edo usb->Yggdrasil rca outs to preamp. Yggy unbalanced eventually got grey and boring. I will be
buying 2 dacs eventually. The way to improve an SBT is a better dac. I agree, depending on mood, SBT solo does the job. I will try the D50S
with both systems and go from there. Amazon prime is an ez return if I'm not impressed.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Analog. Out from SBT rca jacks to "CD in" jacks on Onkyo.

Then, as SMc wrote, you are using the (quite good) internal DAC in the SBT.

Top Bottom