• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Squealing/grain when running sweep tones

M0du1e

Hello, I have problem with my headphones. It's actually my second headphone (first was Hifiman Sundara and now Hifiman Ananda) and they somehow shares the issue. So, when i run sweep tones generated by SoX i hear high pitch squealing or grain at certain frequencies. I noticed it on both channels (not at the same time and at different frequencies. I tried 2 cables (my first guess it's cable issue, because hifiman have ****** cable, see pic n6RJ_jnhb4k.jpg), tried to connect it to 0404 headphone amp and to O2 amp (using 0404 as DAC). Also tried connect it to PC directly. Nothing helps. It still possibly cable issue, but could it be something else? I have no idea. Maybe this is normal?

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I had a ribbon tweeter that did this, I surmised that a resonance had enough non-linearity to create lower frequency beats. The effect should scale with level?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suspect the DAC before blaming the cables or headphones. Can you try them on another setup?

Martin

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I would suspect the DAC before blaming the cables or headphones. Can you try them on another setup?

Martin
I would be surprised if the dac is creating an audible issue. Sounds to me like a distortion in the headphone, resonance or likewise.

Is is the same at very low volume levels?

OP
M

M0du1e

I would be surprised if the dac is creating an audible issue. Sounds to me like a distortion in the headphone, resonance or likewise.

Is is the same at very low volume levels?
I tested it again. Most likely, there's two different issues. First, "grain" in high frequencies at 10khz+ tones. Swapping cable between channels helps that issue transferred from left channel to right channel. Second, high pitch squealing happens on both channel, and yes, at low volume this doesn't happen (does that means issue causes my amp?).

OP
M

M0du1e

Today I noticed buzzing sound in my headphones, even when no sound is played at all. What it means? When I touch jack output buzzing is stopping. Please help.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
buzzing is a grounding issue.

when you swap the cables on the headphone and the problem swaps along it is the amp or DAC.
Switch the cables at the input of the amp.
When the problem stays in the same channel it is the amp, when it switches channels it is the DAC.

How does the headphone sound with music ?
Try it directly from a phone or some other device.

OP
M

M0du1e

buzzing is a grounding issue.

when you swap the cables on the headphone and the problem swaps along it is the amp or DAC.
Switch the cables at the input of the amp.
When the problem stays in the same channel it is the amp, when it switches channels it is the DAC.

How does the headphone sound with music ?
Try it directly from a phone or some other device.
My O2 uses a single 3.5mm jack for the input and the output. I tried to connect first cable which terminates 3.5 jack to O2, and to 0404 USB headphone amp (using 6.5 adapter), it affecting two channels at the same time. Second cable connected to 0404 has the same issue. I also tried connect O2 to PC onboard sound, and still issue presents:rolleyes:.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When listening to the onboard PC or other source directly the problem still exists ?

OP
M

M0du1e

When listening to the onboard PC or other source directly the problem still exists ?
Yes, same issue with connected to the onboard PC. However, that buzzing isn't always audible, I started noticing it from time to time. I also noticed strange thing, if I shake connected headphone a little bit, then buzzing gets louder. But for example if I hold O2 amp in my hands, or my hand is on pc then no buzzing in headphones. I'm not electrician, but if I'm not crazy, I think there are indeed electrician problem? But I can't imagine how to solve it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The buzzing is a grounding issue.
What you can do is try to connect the metal of the enclosure with a known good safety earth.
Could be the third prong, waterpiping (if all copper), central heating (if all metal piping).

OP
M

M0du1e

The buzzing issue is happily fixed. I discovered my whole system was powered by ungrounded outlet and connecting it to grounded outlet fixes this problem.

Top Bottom