• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Springs Under My Speakers: What's Happening?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is always possible to measure

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Echoic memory being about four seconds, I don’t think a controlled listening test would be feasible in this situation. Making the changes would take too much time.
According to anectotes it has been done with an automatic lift. What I remember from that description it was not possible to conclude whether it was audible or whether it was sensed through vibrations in the floor.

But as mentioned you can also record things and measure.

Reactions: MAB

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have zero issue recognizing 19 pages of sighted audiophile fantasies. I saw and did this, heard this and that.

Exactly, though all the measurements in the world won't supplant a basic controlled listening test.
Which Matt et al will never do.
Isn’t that the truth, measure before install the ‘wonder’ feet and measure again but as you say they never will, preferring instead endless tedious anecdote.
Keith

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good. Thanks.

BTW, one of my goals is having the speakers easily moved to play with position and toe in. My problem is the speakers sit on a shag rug so reliable marking is not easy.
The best markers I've found are velcro carpet markers:
Why do you think so over the constrained layer version of the granite? As I said, a combination of steel and wall damp material made a really big difference in solidity
with MDF, vs MDF alone. Much less ringing. I don't see why it wouldn't have a similar benefit with granite, vs granite alone.
I am not familiar with your mentioned damping material. But if I read that right, that system is to make the wall panels soundproof and not vibrate. In our case, we want to impede direct energy transfer between speaker cabinets and the floor, hence why I keep talking about the rubbery, gel type isolation.
If your speaker at higher volumes can shake the floor, which incidentally you can not stop it fully, then whatever material you use under the speakers will vibrate. But the heavier you make it, the more energy is required. Sound waves travel through the air, and will shake the floor-boards, this you can not stop! but the same isolation under the slabs will help to impede this floor shake, leaking back to the speaker enclosures.

See this:

dynabs-a.gif

The orange weight would be our floor-boards. The blue mass would be our heavy mass, and the top is the speaker cabinet.
The blue spring is any isolation between slab and the enclosure, and the orange spring is the isolation between floor-boards and the slabs.
When the orange weight vibrates up and down (floor shake), the massive blue weight, with its high moment of inertia, resists being pulled up and down, so the orange spring, basically, would absorb the vibration. At a certain frequency, the blue weight will start to oscillate. The frequency is determined by the stiffness of the blue spring and the mass of the blue weight. The higher the mass, the lower the frequency.
Now the reverse! When the speaker vibrates, the blue mass tries to remain stationary, so the vibration would compress and stretch the blue spring, BUT this, we don't want! we want the speaker cabinet not vibrate. If we remove the blue spring and fix the blue mass to the speaker cabinet, the added mass of the whole speaker and the slab, would require a lot of energy, before the huge moment of stationary inertia can be overcome. In effect, the mass of the slab would grab the bottom of the enclosure. Any residual vibration of this system would be absorbed by the orange spring. The softer and more damped a material, the better. I suggested liquid-gel materials, such as Sorbothane. It is cheap, available, long-lasting. In larger pads (4 inch square, one inch thick) it can take the weight of the assembly and still be springy, and well damped.
The floor-boards and the slab+speakers are isolated from each other, while to the speakers, it is sitting on a (edit: Virtual ) solid floor .
The above argument has certain assumptions.
One is that the speakers are not heavy already, so they would benefit from the additional mass of the slab.
Another is that the slab is dead acoustically and of high enough mass to make a difference.
Also that, there is a tangible direct transfer of energy between the speakers and the floor-boards, to make a difference audibly.
It means, if you already have a massive pair of speakers, and not too springy floor-boards, then a few pieces of thin carpeting between the speakers and floor would be sufficient.

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without getting into a game of "burden tennis”, the standard for evidence to meet the burden of proof is usually determined by context and community standards and conventions. As the name of this forum is audiosciencereview, I would say that the onus is on you to provide some measurements if we are to adhere to the science aspect of this forum, otherwise what is the point of the forum?

Re: Community Standards:

First I think that is a narrow understanding of this forum. That claims or speculations about audio equipment would be accompanied by scientifically rigorous demonstrations and evidence may be an ideal does not mean it is a standard. If that were the standard, then most of the posting on this forum would be out of bounds as failing that standard (even from most long time, technically literate members). Most of us don't have the means to provide measurements for everything we hear, say or speculate about. This is just a practical problem anyone reasonable recognizes. It's why we have all sorts of speculative conversations, and even parts of the forum dedicated to people's impressions from attending audio shows. None of those are done under scientific conditions nor accompanied by measurements, but that's ok because the impressions are accepted as not making any strong, anti-scienfic claims. In other words, plenty of "un-scientific" conversation here (in the sense of not being accompanied by measurements/scientific justification) is acceptable. What isn't countenanced is "Anti-Scientific" stuff - e.g. "I KNOW FOR SURE I heard X (dubious) phenomenon based on Y (dubious) methodology)."

And of course, I have made no such anti-scientific claim.

Notice the thread title is a question. An inquiry. As I have elaborated on it: I did not suggest anyone had to accept my claim as facts (except for the sake of argument), nor that I thought my sighted impressions are infallible. Rather, I've said I have strong impressions that the sound is changing in these ways when I put springs under my speakers, leading to the questions: Is my hearing differences with springs PLAUSIBLE? And if so, what technically would explain there being sonic differences with and without springs?"

So as for what could explain my perceptions? I've already acknowledged the obvious, early on, that sighted bias and other variables (e.g. speaker height changes) are possibilities. But it's an open inquiry as to whether there are also technically plausible explanations. This thread invites those technical discussions...which is just the type of discussion this forum is about, right? And we've had plenty of great input and back and forth. (Just like another thread I started inquiring on whether the resolution of current speakers meet the resolution of sonic information in the best recordings. It's an inquiry that opens up for technical discussion).

Re: Burden Of Proof:

The Burden Of Proof is not something where you can pick and choose. You either apply the principle consistently or you don't, on pains of hypocrisy.
The Burden Of Proof scales with the nature of a claim - e.g. extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And on the same principle, the more modest the claim, the more modest the burden of proof. I am usually very careful about the nature of my claims, having established within the first page that any sighted impressions I write are presented with all the obvious caveats, and that nobody need accept them as facts proven by my mere subjective impressions. Again, it's an inquiry.

However IF someone is going to lodge criticisms based on a certain burden of proof, insofar as they decide to make a positive claim on the subject as well, they shouldn't be surprised if asked to support the claim on the same burden of proof. Especially if they are invoking, snarkily, the principle of burden of proof!

Please remember, regarding the scenario I've been writing about, Keith recently wrote:

"If only someone would post before and after measurements that show the silenced floorboards."

I replied to him reminding him that I had done just that! I literally had posted measurements I made using a vibration measuring app, showing the "silenced floorboards
effect" in both directions - from the speaker in to the floor, and floor in to speaker. Here is is again:

Are they elaborate measurements? No, I don't have the means. But they ARE measurements that DO show an obvious decoupling effect using the springs.

I also reminded Keith that someone with professional experience in vibration control research, e.g. Frank Dernie, had commented that my hearing differences would be "no surprise" and he supported the plausibility of the scenario. Earlier in this comment from Frank. And there have been various others chiming in giving technical arguments for the plausibility of audible differences using things like spikes/constrained layer damping/springs/sorbothane etc, like I've been trying out.

So, when presented with measurements from my room that give some evidence the springs show decoupling of vibrations between speaker and floor in my room, as well as the fact people with relevant expertise have supported the plausibility...what as Keith's response?

He ignored it.

So, sorry, if Keith is just going to ignore any evidence or arguments for the plausibility of sonic changes with the springs, while declaring:

"It’s just your imagination"

Then it's entirely justified to ask him to back that up - with some sort of technical argument/measurement supported, for why it is implausible I'm hearing sonic differences with the springs. If THOSE are the standards he wants to invoke, then what is good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

Of course...nobody likes admitting when they are being a hypocrite....:)

Cheers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Matt audibility, does the change make an audible difference, I have asked many times for actual measurements that show audibility, remember enough vibration has to be transmitted to create an audible resonance and of course the ‘feet’ are on;y dealing with structural borne vibration there is still airborne transmission.
Show me the money ( measurements) REW before and after, adjust the mic for the height difference.
Keith

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have zero issue recognizing 19 pages of sighted audiophile fantasies.

Calling my sonic impressions in this thread "fantasies" is a positive claim that no such audible phenomena is occurring, in my room, for instance with and without springs between the speakers and wood floor.

That's a positive claim, FrankW.

Can you back that up with measurements? I mean...you don't want to be hypocritical and selective in your demands, do you? ;)

I saw and did this, heard this and that.

All within context, which you reliably ignore. (Selectively).

Exactly, though all the measurements in the world won't supplant a basic controlled listening test.
Which Matt et al will never do.

Yeah, Matt would never do basic controlled listening tests....he's just a naive subjectivist with no concept of sighted bias....

My Blind Test - Preamps:

Me discussing other Blind Tests I've done:

DACS/CDPS:

AC CABLES:

Video Cables:

Music Servers:

Given you are banging on about someone who won't do blind tests...can you present the results of blind tests you've done of audio equipment? 'Cause, right now, only one of us has done that ;-)

As to doing a proper blind test with the springs etc, It takes quite a while for me to very carefully install and uninstall anything under the heavy, tippy speakers. It's a slow, delicate process. How would you expect someone to easily perform quick blind switching between the speakers with and without the springs? It's not for nothing Harman Kardon/Toole et al had to go to extreme expense and effort to design properly double blind speaker comparisons.

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Matt audibility, does the change make an audible difference, I have asked many times for actual measurements that show audibility, remember enough vibration has to be transmitted to create an audible resonance and of course the ‘feet’ are on;y dealing with structural borne vibration there is still airborne transmission.
Show me the money ( measurements) REW before and after, adjust the mic for the height difference.
Keith

Remember, you asked:

If only someone would post before and after measurements that show the silenced floorboards.

I provided measurements showing the springs silencing of the floorboards.

And again, the likelihood of my hearing sonic differences with the springs has been endorsed by people who know something about this.

But, once again...the point isn't to prove anything to Purite Audio. I've said I don't have REW measurements, and that this thread is more about an open inquiry, as to the plausibility of sonic changes with spring decoupling (and other materials) - if/how/why. I'm not positing myself as able to answer or provide the demonstrations - the question is open to speculation from people more suited to answering the questions.

And you've ignored that you didn't just say "You haven't provided the type of evidence I'd like to see for what is happening" (which I've acknowledged from the start). Instead you made a positive claim that my impressions were merely my imagination. Which amounts to the claim you know the springs are NOT having an audible effect in my room.

Now, feel free to retract that claim if you want. That would be the intellectually consistent thing to do. Otherwise, you're on the hook for providing justification/evidence for your claim as you demand from me.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Isolation products can and do work, some years ago I spent some time with this company who make laboratory isolation equipment , is stuff that actually works, used under NFMs, accurate balances,
The question is not whether ‘proper’ isolation works , ( Robertson use rolling air diaphragms) but whether isolating your loudspeakers/floor from structural borne vibration makes an audible difference.
Keith

MAB

Major Contributor
Are they elaborate measurements? No, I don't have the means.
This is interesting...
ASR is a means to understanding and making relevant measurements.
For $100 and a spare laptop, you would have the actual means. Measurements are so trivial to do today, it's even built in to modern AVR...
A UMIK and REW would trivially answer the original question, what's happening (audibly, if anything)?
Otherwise the question just ends up a rhetorical one.
And since this is online, the thread goes in circles and argument ensues.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Quiet, REW and a microphone would help with speaker/listener position which would bring tangible and measurable improvements.
Found a photograph of their active air platform which is the silver box under the GPA, the partnering compressor isn’t pictured.

Keith

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is a means to understanding and making relevant measurements.
For $100 and a spare laptop, you would have the actual means.
When I was once abroad for holiday I wanted to measure and room correct some loudspeakers just out of fun and got a very cheapo $10 PC electret mic which while of course not calibrated or accurate at the higher frequencies would be enough for such comparison measurements (or some basic room correction), there are really no excuses nowadays.

fineMen

Major Contributor
When I was once abroad for holiday I wanted to measure and room correct some loudspeakers just out of fun and got a very cheapo $10 PC electret mic which while of course not calibrated or accurate at the higher frequencies would be enough for such comparison measurements (or some basic room correction), there are really no excuses nowadays.
To some degree it is entertaining to see a discussion of the least minute, possible "differences" without, obviously, understanding the very basic physical concepts. Without physics there is no clue of how much the difference is, if it would be relevant in regard to => listening pleasure. Even if there is an audible difference, what about the pleasure? Would it be affected? What do regular people say if they find someone digging into infinite detail without good reason?

FrankW

With the 3-4 keyboards a year Matt burns through, that could easily fund a Umik.
But since $13k monopolar omni bass speakers don't excite room modes with springs....

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As to doing a proper blind test with the springs etc, It takes quite a while for me to very carefully install and uninstall anything under the heavy, tippy speakers. It's a slow, delicate process. How would you expect someone to easily perform quick blind switching between the speakers with and without the springs? It's not for nothing Harman Kardon/Toole et al had to go to extreme expense and effort to design properly double blind speaker comparisons.
Can't you just wedge somehing under the speakers to disable the springs and do measurements with REW? Seems to me you don't even need a calibrated mic since you are just looking for any difference in the measurements with and without the isolation.

fineMen

Major Contributor
There is fun in it, which makes it so dangerous. Once people, after being told about basic concepts of Newton's mechanics, still insist to develop their own physics from scratch, loughter is the only escape. But they shouldn't get away with that. If it was real-life such people would be stigmatized, which I herewith clearly condemn as inhuman. I would rather allow legally to point at them and tell them to be--you know what. At least as a preliminary working hypothesis. The term I have in mind was invented by the ancient Greek to organize their image of social reality, so nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Yeah, measurement gear is so much cheaper compared to HiFi fails and spreading confusion.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might do some more measurements during my coming convalescence. At least I hope so.

Top Bottom