• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If they flip flop on the announcement to go lossless "later this year" they should be shunned.

Or they will adopt the "we looked at the science and people actually cant tell the difference so we decided to keep prices low" line. Which could be interesting.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gangster confirmed!

Straight up OG!

images

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I keep watching for news about a HiFi launch anywhere...the fact that there has not been any kind of update by now from them kind of flabbergasts me. Good security clamp, I'll say that for them. I've kind of stopped holding my breath on this. The silence is deafening.

SKBubba

I keep watching for news about a HiFi launch anywhere...the fact that there has not been any kind of update by now from them kind of flabbergasts me. Good security clamp, I'll say that for them. I've kind of stopped holding my breath on this. The silence is deafening.
I think they have given up on it and hope people will forget they ever said it. Hope I'm wrong.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen some vague info that it is being tested in select markets.....it really doesn't matter to me, if it can be done at same price, great, but personally wouldn't find lossless worth a premium....

Dogen

Forum Donor
I can only assume that Spotify have waited to see what Amazon and Apple's redbook+ venturing has done to their numbers. If the impact isn't great, why waste money implementing something new? Particularly if your (very large) customer base appears to be happy with what they've already got.
That’s what I’m thinking. If their market share holds up, and they grow as projected, why spend the money? Honestly, only a very few care about lossless vs lossy, and even fewer can tell the difference. I like lossy on principle for my own files, but for streaming, I seldom or never can tell the difference. Let Spotify differentiate itself on its superior UI.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Tidal sounds much better than lossless Apple music, so lossless alone doesn't guarantee sound quality.
Also lossy spotify sounds much worse than Deezer so I assume that even if they'd have lossless quality it won't be so good anyways

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal sounds much better than lossless Apple music, so lossless alone doesn't guarantee sound quality.
Also lossy spotify sounds much worse than Deezer so I assume that even if they'd have lossless quality it won't be so good anyways
Much better for same files? Sounds like player setting differences or maybe just levels in your system?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same songs
Don't know why it just didn't sound good
Tidal sounded much better on all the songs I've tried.
That's a mystery then, no reason for same files to sound different. Altho Tidal does screw with things with that junk mqa.....

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a mystery then, no reason for same files to sound different. Altho Tidal does screw with things with that junk mqa.....
Presumably broken bit rate conversion could also do that to PCM.

Willem

Major Contributor
There is a downside to lossless streaming and it is the energy consumption. Cloud computing in its various forms consumes a lot of energy at a time when we should really be cutting down on that if we want to save the planet. There is preciously little evidence that the difference between high bit rate compression and lossless is audible, so if the sonic benefits are imaginary, why do it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a downside to lossless streaming and it is the energy consumption. Cloud computing in its various forms consumes a lot of energy at a time when we should really be cutting down on that if we want to save the planet. There is preciously little evidence that the difference between high bit rate compression and lossless is audible, so if the sonic benefits are imaginary, why do it?
....bbbbut audiophile needs are important! :)

Willem

Major Contributor
Sure, if the benefits are real rather than imaginary, and I am not yet convinced. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and all the more so if we include the externalities. For now my idea is that losssless streaming is in the same league as class A amplification. However, I am happy to be convinced otherwise.
For now all I can say is that if I compare Spotify and the CD the CD often wins in case of rock/pop albums, but quite obviously because the Spotify version is from a later mix with more limited DR. With classical recordings I do not easily hear any difference. More research is probably necessary.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, if the benefits are real rather than imaginary, and I am not yet convinced. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and all the more so if we include the externalities. For now my idea is that losssless streaming is in the same league as class A amplification. However, I am happy to be convinced otherwise.
For now all I can say is that if I compare Spotify and the CD the CD often wins in case of rock/pop albums, but quite obviously because the Spotify version is from a later mix with more limited DR. With classical recordings I do not easily hear any difference. More research is probably necessary.
Interesting that the BBC tried streaming in FLAC for the Proms season a few years ago, but concluded their previous (and current) AAC at 320kbps was good enough, and there was insufficient benefit to warrant the extra costs/complexity/whatever.

Although I would have preferred if they had continued in FLAC, for no better reason than it's full-fat, no artificial colourings, I have to accept that it sounded no better than what I'd been used to. With Spotify currently, I can detect nothing lacking in their 320 kbps Ogg-Vorbis streams, so although again, lossless would be nice, I can't objectively justify it if it costs more and uses more energy at their servers.

S.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not sure why so many comments doubting it is coming?

Just a few weeks ago this was doing the rounds in the popular tech websites:

litemotiv

Interesting that the BBC tried streaming in FLAC for the Proms season a few years ago, but concluded their previous (and current) AAC at 320kbps was good enough, and there was insufficient benefit to warrant the extra costs/complexity/whatever.
That's not surprising since the overwhelming majority of people don't have decent speakers attached to their TV's. You can't really base any conclusions on the BBC seeing no benefits in going lossless.

(which doesn't necessarily mean the opposite either ofcourse)

Top Bottom