• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify/Tidal streamer for my active nearfield monitors using XLR connectors/DAC/preamp?

andrewch

Hello,

I've been browsing around and it's really hard for me to understand what products are out there, and what can be done with DIY components.

My scenario is the following:

I have two 7" DynAudio BM5 MK3 active nearfield monitors that I'd like to connect using XLR connectors. I'd like to listen to music streaming from Spotify and Tidal (native, not through other players), just like on Chromecast Audio (I own one). I understand I can use the optical output on the Chromecast Audio, it's pretty decent.

What DAC (or maybe DAC/amp?) should I be looking at to connect both ends? It would be nice to have a volume knob and a remote control.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX7 Pro or Topping D90. You don't need a amp and just connect the D90 to the near field monitors using XLR since the D90 uses digital volume control.

OP
A

andrewch

Topping DX7 Pro or Topping D90. You don't need a amp and just connect the D90 to the near field monitors using XLR since the D90 uses digital volume control.

Thanks, a bit expensive, almost at the price of the two monitors. SMSL SU-8 V2 came to my attention. Anything else you would recommend in that price range? (up to $300)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the SU-8 V2 has a digital volume control. You would need a passive preamp between your monitors and it or use Windows volume control (a pain to use IMO).

murraycamp

Forum Donor
+1 re @majingotan recommendation.

Also, when you say you "can use the optical output on the Chromecast Audio, it's pretty decent" I think you need to reevaluate that statement, as per measurements here it is audibly transparent when paired with a good DAC. Just a thought. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

OP
A

andrewch

I don't think the SU-8 V2 has a digital volume control. You would need a passive preamp between your monitors and it or use Windows volume control (a pain to use IMO).

I'll be streaming from phone, so I only need remote for the DAC to regulate volume. I understand this is not possible without a preamp? (when SMSL SU-8 V2 is connected to Chromecast Audio). What's your recommendation for a passive preamp? I'm trying to keep my budget at half the speaker cost, but it looks like it's hard :)

@murraycamp Thanks!

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
A

andrewch

Actually, you can use your phone as a volume control in this case since CCA responds to volume control even in optical output. But if you need a passive preamp, can't go wrong with Schiit sys: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-schiit-sys-passive-pre-amp-switcher.2335/

Thanks, Schiit Sys looks great for the price. I know I can control volume via phone, but I'd like more volume steps than default Android. Can this be done via some app and no rooting/flashing images so I can use my smartphone for volume control?

TimW

Major Contributor
The SMSL SU-8 comes with a remote that controls its volume so you don't need a passive preamp if you get it. The Schiit Sys doesn't have balanced connections so it's not ideal for studio monitors.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL SU-8 comes with a remote that controls its volume so you don't need a passive preamp if you get it. The Schiit Sys doesn't have balanced connections so it's not ideal for studio monitors.

That’s good to know that the SU8 also has digital volume control. The OP should have all of the requirements met with SU-8

TimW

Major Contributor
Yes and it is on drop for $170 right now if he is willing to buy from them. If he really wants a volume knob he could probably find a used Topping DX7s for around $300.

OP
A

andrewch

Thanks, had a glance first and now I see the back od Sys. Indeed.

Apparently, there's a SU-9 that they showed recently but in black. I think I'll wait a bit for this to hit market and get measured, or maybe by the SU-8 if there is a good deal/used.

mmexport1575968820346_1024x1024.jpg

OP
A

andrewch

Yes and it is on drop for $170 right now if he is willing to buy from them. If he really wants a volume knob he could probably find a used Topping DX7s for around $300.

Massdrop does not send to EU :( But it's available on Amazon.de for 210 euros ($232).

OP
A

andrewch

@TimW I'm planning on buying Focal Elex through a friend, so maybe there is a DAC/amp that can cover both? (my active monitors and the Elex)

TimW

Major Contributor
@TimW I'm planning on buying Focal Elex through a friend, so maybe there is a DAC/amp that can cover both? (my active monitors and the Elex)

There is definitely good DAC/AMP options out there but to get one with good performance and balanced outputs you will probably have to go over your current budget. Here is a few that come to mind:

Topping DX7 Pro
SMSL M500
Sabaj D5
Singxer SDA-2

OP
A

andrewch

There is definitely good DAC/AMP options out there but to get one with good performance and balanced outputs you will probably have to go over your current budget. Here is a few that come to mind:

Topping DX7 Pro
SMSL M500
Sabaj D5
Singxer SDA-2

Thanks, Topping DX7 Pro looks lile a great combo for my active speakers and headphones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom