• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify Streaming: Chrome Cast Audio > Volumio > Wiim Mini streamer; My experience

My adventures in stereo

I use spotify, for exploring new music & for a quick preview of media I am about to purchase
Connecting a laptop to my rig, through USB was too clunky
Hence I was on the market, for a compact streaming solution

1 Chrome Cast Audio

I was a late adopter, having picked one up late in 2021
Paid a 100$ on ebay, for a new in box, out of production product
well packaged, compact and well made, comes with a power adapter & a small analog plug for aux input
Set up was easy, very compact puck sized device, connected easily to my home network

I was up and running very quickly,
Audio quality was average & sounded worse than what I was experiencing through USB playback from my laptop
I tried the minitoslink to optical input, sound quality was not much better
Also had connectivity issues intermittently and varying volume levels, hence gave up on it

2 Volumio on minidsp SHD

I liked the idea of reducing the number of devices on my rig & was excited about trying out the raspberry pi based volumio player on the minidsp SHD
After following the instructions provided in the minidsp manual, I was unable to find the plug ins for spotify on my volumio web interface
Finally ended up contacting the minidsp forum & after a usb based volumio software, the spotify plug ins magically appeared

The setup was straight forward, I had spotify running pretty soon
Sound quality was a step up from the CCA, no latency or sound drop off issues so far

3 Wiim Mini Streamer

while I was having issues with the volumio, came across this highly regarded product on ASR & picked one up
Ironically the day it arrived, I was able to fix my issues with volumio

comes well packaged, with a whole bunch of cables, lot of connectivity options & a mobile style USB type C charger, which works 100 -240 V

Set up is straight forward, for initial setup, keep it close to your router & phone
Install the app, it gives you straight forward instructions

Plugged it in to my Topping DX 7 Pro, through optical set audioquality to 24 bit 192 KHZ
Sounded very good
Better than the CCA, cant say if better than volumio, gain is a bit higher, I used the 2V fixed output
I tried the audio sync option & this caused some sync issues, which I am still trying to sort out

So far, the volumio player, seems the best option for me
No need for extra cables or components, decent sound quality & connectivity
The Wiim is a much more polished device than the CCA, more reliable & has better sound quality

wiim.jpg
wiim charger.jpg

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

CCA and Wiim are both bit perfect transports so if you are plugging them into same DAC and volume matching any difference you hear is subjective caused by your expectations.
The issues may be due to connectivity issues, weaker wifi etc
The CCA is a dated unsupported product, hardware & soft ware failure ??

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I (and probably many other members) have been using a CCA for years with both Tidal and Spotify with no connectivity issues.

I can‘t hear any difference in SQ between CCA and Volumio on the SHD. As @Steve Rogers says, the CCA is bit perfect

Spotify Connect works ok on the SHD, but Volumio is the worst UI I’ve ever experienced.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The issues may be due to connectivity issues, weaker wifi etc
The CCA is a dated unsupported product, hardware & soft ware failure ??
Hard to believe any of that is a factor. I have several CCAs. Maybe you should do a blinded trial instead....

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Maybe I have a defective CCA, I have had a sub par experience with it
Which obviously does not reflect your experience with it.

I have just begun using the wiim & the volumio, so I will update as, I use them more

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spotify via any chromecast medium is in 256kbps

Spotify Connect on the other hand is maximum available 320kbps

I wouldnt be surprised if you heard a difference

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Spotify via any chromecast medium is in 256kbps

Spotify Connect on the other hand is maximum available 320kbps

I wouldnt be surprised if you heard a difference

Got a source for that? Different codecs if so, too. Assume you're referring to the premium service....

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Having spent a couple of weeks with the wiim and volumio, I find myself using wiim consistently, really enjoying the sound quality through optical

Jdunk54nl

I have two CCA's and love both of them. Up and running super quick and work great. I have one connected via toslink out to a minidsp 2x4hd toslink in to an aiyima a07 amp for my outdoor speakers.

I have the other connected to my garage speakers currently to an old logitech computer 2.1 system but soon will be jbl 305's once I get them mounted.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

McFly

Ah, you are correct. But what's apparent is that the 'web' stream is in 256kbps AAC and that would be assumed is what chromecast pulls? There are multiple references to chromecast being 256kbps, I am yet to see any information otherwise.

Perhaps you could monitor network bandwidth to prove each case, but I'm not going to bother. Just use spotify connect if you want assurance you're getting 320.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, you are correct. But what's apparent is that the 'web' stream is in 256kbps AAC and that would be assumed is what chromecast pulls? There are multiple references to chromecast being 256kbps, I am yet to see any information otherwise.

Perhaps you could monitor network bandwidth to prove each case, but I'm not going to bother. Just use spotify connect if you want assurance you're getting 320.
From my understanding the web stream is just when you go to their url and stream from there with your device, rather than have a specific app like I have on my pc/tablet/phone/Amazon fire sticks. No way for me to see/confirm the specifics in any case. I do have one unit that has spotify connect, but don't have it hooked up to the internet. I usually just stream from one of my devices' apps. Pretty sure I'm getting the OggVorbis 320 with premium and using the apps from what I've seen discussed in fora/groups, don't see how it would change just by casting it to my CCA

Steve Rogers

A bit off topic but I want to put in a good word for Deezer which for similar price to Spotify gives me CD quality streaming.

FuzzTone

I use spotify, for exploring new music & for a quick preview of media I am about to purchase
Connecting a laptop to my rig, through USB was too clunky
Hence I was on the market, for a compact streaming solution

1 Chrome Cast Audio

I was a late adopter, having picked one up late in 2021
Paid a 100$ on ebay, for a new in box, out of production product
well packaged, compact and well made, comes with a power adapter & a small analog plug for aux input
Set up was easy, very compact puck sized device, connected easily to my home network

I was up and running very quickly,
Audio quality was average & sounded worse than what I was experiencing through USB playback from my laptop
I tried the minitoslink to optical input, sound quality was not much better
Also had connectivity issues intermittently and varying volume levels, hence gave up on it

2 Volumio on minidsp SHD

I liked the idea of reducing the number of devices on my rig & was excited about trying out the raspberry pi based volumio player on the minidsp SHD
After following the instructions provided in the minidsp manual, I was unable to find the plug ins for spotify on my volumio web interface
Finally ended up contacting the minidsp forum & after a usb based volumio software, the spotify plug ins magically appeared

The setup was straight forward, I had spotify running pretty soon
Sound quality was a step up from the CCA, no latency or sound drop off issues so far

3 Wiim Mini Streamer

while I was having issues with the volumio, came across this highly regarded product on ASR & picked one up
Ironically the day it arrived, I was able to fix my issues with volumio

comes well packaged, with a whole bunch of cables, lot of connectivity options & a mobile style USB type C charger, which works 100 -240 V

Set up is straight forward, for initial setup, keep it close to your router & phone
Install the app, it gives you straight forward instructions

Plugged it in to my Topping DX 7 Pro, through optical set audioquality to 24 bit 192 KHZ
Sounded very good
Better than the CCA, cant say if better than volumio, gain is a bit higher, I used the 2V fixed output
I tried the audio sync option & this caused some sync issues, which I am still trying to sort out

So far, the volumio player, seems the best option for me
No need for extra cables or components, decent sound quality & connectivity
The Wiim is a much more polished device than the CCA, more reliable & has better sound quality

View attachment 202038View attachment 202039
It's a Studio with a custom build of Volumio. The Pro-Ject S2 Ultra has another custom build of Volumio. Both players benefit fro LPS intends of SMPS. The cheapest all in one is the Magna Mano Ultra that allows you to load any OS you like. LMS is superior to Volumio, especially for artwork and Qobuz. The best way to push Qobuz or Tidal to free Volumio is with free BubbleUPnP

FuzzTone

It's a Studio with a custom build of Volumio. The Pro-Ject S2 Ultra has another custom build of Volumio. Both players benefit from LPS instead of SMPS. The cheapest all in one is the Magna Mano Ultra that allows you to lorder or load any OS you like. LMS is superior to Volumio, especially for artwork and Qobuz p/l order. The best way to push Qobuz or Tidal onto free Volumio is with free BubbleUPnP
LPS instead of SMPS.

Top Bottom