• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify Premium showing 44.1Khz 16bit in Volumio with Spotify connect 2. Is this really lossless or trickery?

gags11

Forum Donor
My brother today was streaming his Spotify to my MiniDSP Volumio. The Volumio app was showing 44khz 16bit. Is this try CD quality stream or some conversion? Wondering if Spotify might have released their promised lossless.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Compressed streams will expand to cd rate: 16 bits @ 44.1kHz.

BitPerfect_

Is this a verified information? I’m asking because compressed streams mp3 lossy for example, expanded to 16/44.1 lossless it’s still lossy in the end …

@gags11 would you please try to stream the same track via AirPlay in order to see the bitrate? If the phone is an iPhone and the MiniDSP supports AirPlay of course.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Is this a verified information? I’m asking because compressed streams mp3 lossy for example, expanded to 16/44.1 lossless it’s still lossy in the end …

@gags11 would you please try to stream the same track via AirPlay in order to see the bitrate? If the phone is an iPhone and the MiniDSP supports AirPlay of course.

Tried both, and both Airplay snd Spotify connect show up as 44k.1 kHz 16bit on SHD Volumio.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor

Sounds good. Thank you. SHD Volumio use AirPlay 1 or 2?

SHD uses Airplay 1. Simple verification is when playing Airplay on SHD, musics gets interrupted when a phone call comes. When streaming Spotify connect2, phone calls do not get interrupted.

BitPerfect_

Indeed, this is how AirPlay works in general (e.g in Apple Music) putting the music on pause while we receive a phone call but imho if this will be the way of Spotify Hi-Fi to deliver lossless (16/44.1 via Spotify Connect and AirPlay 1 as well) we can use the other options described in the above link (crossfade, gapless, etc) which is Great!

If we are using Spotify Connect, these options are disabled. Also in Apple Music these options are unavailable at this moment when we are streaming to devices.

Last edited:
OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Indeed, this is how AirPlay works in general (e.g in Apple Music) putting the music on pause while we receive a phone call but imho if this will be the way of Spotify Hi-Fi to deliver lossless (16/44.1 via Spotify Connect and AirPlay 1 as well) we can use the other options described in the above link (crossfade, gapless, etc) which is Great!

If we are using Spotify Connect, these options are disabled. Also in Apple Music these options are unavailable at this moment when we are streaming to devices.

Airplay 2 does not put music on pause while answering calls. There have been questions regarding true transmission quality of Airplay2. However, my take is if the receiving device is truly integrated, it will capture the direct stream vs streaming to phone then to device.

Time will tell, but for now, AirPlay works fine for Apple Music. I’m waiting to see what Spotify Hi-Fi will offer, and most likely I will get that service. And I really don’t care about gapless playback…. I change most music half way through, lol.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor

Is this an issue with how DAC interprets the compressed audio? Roon, for example can show instantaneous bit rate. Is there a way we can run Spotify though a device that shows exact transmission bit rate?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

They often will, but it is no iron rule. For instance Apple lossy compression uses 24-bit files where available, and can decompress to 24-bit files.

Most lossy compression really has no fixed bit depth.

Back to what the DAC shows: that has no bearing on what compression was used (if any). It just shows the properties of the decompressed stream that goes into the DAC chip.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Finally:), or maybe not?:rolleyes:

No clarification about possible price increases regarding Spotify lossless? Will Spotify dare to raise the price? There is tough competition now between streaming providers.

Spotify themselves say that there is an opportunity to upgrade. It does not say that it will happen automatically for subscribers of the current Spotify Premium.

Beginning later this year, Premium subscribers in select markets will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to their favorite songs the way artists intended.

1. Spotify HiFi will begin rolling out in select markets later this year, and we will have more details to share soon.

That article was published FEBRUARY 22, 2021. ... more details.... soon ... kiss my a ..

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-02-22/five-things-to-know-about-spotify-hifi/

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Spotify certainly knows how to keep a secret a secret. I've given up holding my breath, it seems like they are going to let September go by with no additional news... As a Premium Family subscriber, I am looking forward to higher quality but at no or a minimal price increase...

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The Volumio app was showing 44khz 16bit.
The stream has to be decompressed somewhere along the way. I assume this is done before the Volumio sees the data. Usually when you decompress you get the original sample rate but the bit-depth is arbitrary because (most) lossy formats don't store individual samples and there is no fixed bit-depth.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Thanks for all the replies and explanations!

BitPerfect_

Most MP3's are 44khz (sample rate) and 16bit (bith dept). Where they differ from CD is the bitrate: 1,411.2 kbit/s for 44/16 uncompressed audio down to max 320 kbit/s for MP3.

How about now? it appears PCM 44.1 kHz not MP3, which makes me thing about testing the lossless format.

30E560F0-BA10-4571-9AB3-776D63588143.jpg

bennetng

Major Contributor
Formats like mp3 only have bit rate and sample rate. Bit depth is defined by the decoder, which decodes to PCM.

BitPerfect_

Make sense, the strange thing is that if we listen Internet radio for example, will appear MP3 44.1 kHz.
More than that, If I play a wav file using the same app (MusicCast) will apear PCM 44.1 kHz.

So why doesn't show MP3 44.1 kHz in Spotify case too?

4A7503CA-A91A-4D82-B871-B57839DFFF40.jpg
3964ABC3-CE3A-4CEF-854D-8A24D1B628FE.jpg

bennetng

Major Contributor
If the app shows the original format (e.g. mp3) then the app itself is probably the decoder. If you know they are other formats but it shows PCM, then the app could be receiving uncompressed data from the upstream decoder which is not exposed to end user explicitly. In this case the app itself does not know what the original format is.

I don't use this app, just my experience of using other software.

Top Bottom