• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify Lossless Streaming

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Spotify's now running a survey asking about our use, SQ, and interest in a lossless quality stream. They just may be starting to listen to our requests. Please take just a minute to answer the survey and show our interest in SQ.
TIA
https://spotify.co1.qualtrics.com/jf...35154762170311

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry I should have mentioned the page was in German. Easy way is to use Chrome, right click on the page and chose Translate.
Thanks again.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks gents!
Vote Chicago Style, early and often. ;)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You certainly played a role.

Now, I did not know they sell Vinyl. Do they really?
It's news to me. But I mostly run it in the Clementine client.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Once again the rumblings are starting about a Spotify lossless tier in the wings. Only 3 1/2 years since the last test but Rome wasn't built in a day. LOL But I do wish them well, MHO is that they have always had the most user friendly GUI, and the largest catalog though that may have changed since the Amazon Goliath came to town? Personally I keep my fingers crossed for a rapid and successful launch of lossless + Atmos files at a market killer price. The latest numbers I could find had Amazon at around 60 million paid and Spotify at 120 million paid and 250 million including the freebees. So Spotify should be able to throw down a killer price on lossless due to the large customer base? I do hope it's not another false alarm!
Time will tell ---------------------------
https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/izqaq4

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I can't tell the difference between the current Spotify best quality and a flac CD rip streamed from my NAS, so I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Are any of the other 'lossless' streaming services actually provably lossless - as in bit perfect identical to a CD rip? All the services add watermarks and other crap to the stream as I assume Spotify does too ...

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't tell the difference between the current Spotify best quality and a flac CD rip streamed from my NAS, so I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Are any of the other 'lossless' streaming services actually provably lossless - as in bit perfect identical to a CD rip? All the services add watermarks and other crap to the stream as I assume Spotify does too ...
I've never committed myself to the torture of a long critical listening test but the math and reports from ears that I trust tell me that depending on the source material, the lossless stream can be audibly detected from things like 320 kbps mp3. I hear various reports on what Spotify is actually delivering, very possibly something less. Without going into any big discussion on the subject let's just discuss the market. AFAIK, Of the major streamers Spotify is the last one to NOT offer a lossless tier at around the same price as Spotify's top "Premium" lossy stream. Market perception being what it is, it's long past time for them to poop or get off the pot. Tidal, Amazon, Qobuz, are way past Redbook using every click-bait word from MQA to 96-192-DSD-Atmos-3D- etc to attract the unwashed customer base.. Of all, the only one of real audible value is the Atmos files now being offered by a few and attractive to surround sound folks like myself.
I'm not immediately aware of any tests done on the streams from the lossless providers to determine how close their product is to a bit-perfect copy of a CD or better source. But I'll bet dollars to donuts that tests have been done and the results are out there, google would be your friend, but very possibly one or more of our members are aware of some such test results.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I've never committed myself to the torture of a long critical listening test but the math and reports from ears that I trust tell me that depending on the source material, the lossless stream can be audibly detected from things like 320 kbps mp3.
Likewise I have never done a formal blind test comparison, but casual comparison of FLAC vs Spotify on my C658 is identical SQ. Certainly good enough for me. I tried Tidal for a while and could not hear any difference between its 'normal' and 'lossless' or MQA (lol) tiers so I unsubscribed. I have read that authorised 'Spotify Connect' devices get a better stream than mobile or unauthorised (e.g. Raspotify) devices. I have no concrete evidence whether that is true or not. Replay Gain is not available on my authorised 'Spotify Connect' devices but is on mobile which may indicate a difference?
it's long past time for them to poop or get off the pot.
Spotify seem to be fairly pragmatic in their approach. They are always trying new features and are quick to drop features that don't get used or, more likely, don't make them money. If they thought lossless were worthwhile I'm sure they would have done it long ago. No doubt they test it from time to time with certain demographics to see if there is interest.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not immediately aware of any tests done on the streams from the lossless providers to determine how close their product is to a bit-perfect copy of a CD or better source. But I'll bet dollars to donuts that tests have been done and the results are out there, google would be your friend, but very possibly one or more of our members are aware of some such test results.
I've done them, the results are on this forum somewhere. When watermarking is not used tidal matches the CD. The watermarks are 50db down.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
could not hear any difference between its 'normal' and 'lossless' or MQA (lol) tiers so I unsubscribed.

I hear a difference on most of the MQA tracks I've listened to, but I suspect it my not be because its MQA, but because it has been remastered.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
not be because its MQA, but because it has been remastered
Yes exactly. I only compared tracks I was pretty sure were from the same masters. Of course one can never be quite sure what any difference can be ascribed to: different bitrate, different resolution, different master, different compression scheme, watermarking, moon phase etc. Whatever differences there may be they are so tiny that I'm perfectly content with Spotify as it is and standard 16/44.1 flacs for my local content.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I've done them, the results are on this forum somewhere. When watermarking is not used tidal matches the CD. The watermarks are 50db down.

Did you test Amazon Music 'HD'?

Top Bottom