• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify Lossless Streaming

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perhaps a proper double blinded test could reveal a difference but if you need thet kind of test to establish if there even is a difference then it simply doesn't matter ...

Which applies across the board with all devices etc.
A number of well constructed double blind A/B and A/B/X tests have been performed. If memory serves, most people cannot distinguish 320kbps compressed from CD quality. Some people with exceptional hearing and training can detect the difference with the right source material and good listening conditions.

According to the self-administered computerized ABX tests I've done, I am not one of the gifted few. There were specific tracks where I was detecting some minute differences often enough to approach statistical validity, but it took total concentration to do so. I just don't listen to music like that, concentrating on sonic flaws. And my hearing hasn't improved in the decade since I did those tests. So I enjoy Spotify in glorious 320kbps and don't worry about it. I have no interest in paying more for uncompressed music, and negative interest in high-res streaming, especially bogus corrupted high-res via MQA.

dkinric

I have no interest in paying more for uncompressed music, and negative interest in high-res streaming, especially bogus corrupted high-res via MQA.
MQA appears to be going away at Tidal, at least as the only option. From an AMA on Reddit with Tidal CEO this week:

"Breaking news for my reddit peeps: we will be introducing hi-res FLAC for our HiFi Plus subscribers soon. It's lossless and an open standard. It's a big file, but we'll give you controls to dial this up and down based on what's going on."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/12hr68f

Galliardist

Major Contributor
MQA appears to be going away at Tidal, at least as the only option. From an AMA on Reddit with Tidal CEO this week:

"Breaking news for my reddit peeps: we will be introducing hi-res FLAC for our HiFi Plus subscribers soon. It's lossless and an open standard. It's a big file, but we'll give you controls to dial this up and down based on what's going on."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/12hr68f
Careful. Turn this into an MQA thread and it will be closed, so stick to comments on Spotify.

chych7

I accepted that I can't hear 320 kbps vs. lossless and moved on. Heck I can't even hear 192 kbps; 128 kbps is where I can barely start to hear differences with modern codecs (was more obvious with the early mp3 codecs).

But I would like some kind of spatial/Atmos audio from Spotify, that would make some real, obvious differences in my 11ch Atmos system. Love listening to multichannel SACDs, it's just another level of immersion that stereo simply can't capture.

Zapper

I accepted that I can't hear 320 kbps vs. lossless and moved on. Heck I can't even hear 192 kbps; 128 kbps is where I can barely start to hear differences with modern codecs (was more obvious with the early mp3 codecs).
Did the codecs get better or our ears worse? I too noticed that compression is harder to detect since the last time I paid attention, maybe a decade ago.

chych7

Did the codecs get better or our ears worse? I too noticed that compression is harder to detect since the last time I paid attention, maybe a decade ago.
Pretty sure more recent codecs (like AAC) are more efficient than the older MP3 codecs. You can experiment with this, try comparing low bit rate audio (like 64-96 kbps), it should be obvious that AAC does better.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The numbers say different:
I guess that's why I never became a millionare corporate executive. :(

Which applies across the board with all devices etc.
True, but if you string more than one non-transparent device with others, soon the deterioration will become obvious.

In the end it's up to the user but this is 2023, bandwidth is plentyful, and minimally a big corp like Spotify should be offering
it's users something better for their money, everyone else is. I don't claim to have golden ears nor ever said I could detect
the diff between 320 and 16/44.1, I was a Spotify user for many years. But as soon as others started offering lossless for the same $ I was gone. Then when Apple jumped onboard with Atmos and multich they were my huckleberry.

Top Bottom