• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sports News | Naomi Osaka defeats Serena Williams in upset @ 2018 US Open Final

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yep, I think Serena Williams is going to take a course on social behavior, and emotional control lost.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
The umpire doesn't bend the rules for her and she plays the race card. It is that simple.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm no fan of Serena Williams. And what she did forced the hand of the umpire when it was all said and done. She did herself no favors, and it was a bad image for the sport.

Yet I must say, after it was over, her body language, her words and her deeds were of the highest sportsmanship toward the winner Ms. OSaka. She appeared to look over and realize how it must be for the winner in that situation. And thereafter went out of her way to make Ms Osaka not feel badly about it. So I could overlook the whole thing as a bad day (which everyone has) with lots of pressure when she didn't act in the best way she could have.

As for the rules, breaking a racket isn't something that should be allowed. I do think the coaching thing is rather stupid. Heck, let the coach come sit by the court and coach. Or ban them from the arena. Either way makes it clear unequivocally. Coaches can watch on TV like everyone else if you don't want coaching going on.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The paper that printed it is doubling down and complaining about “political correctness gone mad”.

Political Correctness run amok?

That's what we've got around here.

DeSantis (running for Governor of Florida on the Republican ticket) says "monkey this up" concerning potential election of and actions yet to be performed by Mr Gillum - all hell breaks loose.

https://www.google.com/search?q=desantis+monkey

"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 174 already displayed. - on page 16 of results of "DeSantis monkey" search)

Gillum (a Democratic Gubernatorial candidate, currently a City Comissioner in Tallahasse) himself reportedly used a "monkey" phrase himself.

One search result is all I got, in the local (Tallahassee) newspaper:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...ddox-should-consider-stepping-down/308855002/

"At last week’s City Hall meeting, Gillum referred to the investigation as a monkey on the commission’s back that derailed a move to hire Deputy Attorney Cassandra Jackson as City Attorney. "

---

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.” - Frank Zappa

Enjoy.

I try.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it is less about race, but about gender.

Wombat

Master Contributor
How about poor sportsmanship?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the coaching rule, I think it is a perfectly sensible rule and should be retained. Obviously players are coached, but during the actual game it should be player vs. player, not player being instructed by somebody else and having any poor technique identified so they can make corrections vs. player. I tend to think the prevalence of what you could call scientific sport has greatly increased the tempo of some sports and transformed performance but in some ways it has also made sport less exciting and de-skilled sport. I used to enjoy pro-road cycling, at one time one of the most important skills of a rider was the ability to read a race and their opponents and to think tactically, now with radio communication they have people with lap tops and information on where every rider is to do that for them, monitoring their condition to tell them when to push harder etc.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the coaching rule, I think it is a perfectly sensible rule and should be retained. Obviously players are coached, but during the actual game it should be player vs. player, not player being instructed by somebody else and having any poor technique identified so they can make corrections vs. player. I tend to think the prevalence of what you could call scientific sport has greatly increased the tempo of some sports and transformed performance but in some ways it has also made sport less exciting and de-skilled sport. I used to enjoy pro-road cycling, at one time one of the most important skills of a rider was the ability to read a race and their opponents and to think tactically, now with radio communication they have people with lap tops and information on where every rider is to do that for them, monitoring their condition to tell them when to push harder etc.

I'm with you on the bike racing. I've this fantasy of jamming the real guys and inserting my own instructions to teams using people who can sound like the real guys on the radio. You know, in the TDF or Giro or something. I wouldn't actually do it, but I sure do like the thought of it.

Like I said earlier, you want no coaching, assume they all send signals. Ban coaches from the arena in tennis.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Obviously players are coached, but during the actual game it should be player vs. player, not player being instructed by somebody else and having any poor technique identified so they can make corrections vs. player.

I don't see the problem.

Other sporting-like activities allow it, as near as I can tell.

Golfers get input from caddies
Boxers from the corner
Autosports and Football via helmet radio
Baseball from various hand signals

I'm sure there are more examples.

On the other hand, tennis has its rules, so...

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see it a bit like when you're at school. Kids rail against the injustice of exams and being evaluated based on what you do in a series of three hour or whatever exams when you're on your own so to speak. No, it isn't fair but it forces you to provide your own answers without relying on your teachers, books, the Internet etc. It also sees how you manage pressure and stress. Ultimately you are on your own, pass or fail, it's down to you regardless of how your teachers have prepared you. I think in sports it should be player vs player and it should be down to the skill and judgement of the player on the big day. More and more sports are using technology to help the players with the result that in some sports I honestly think that the scientists, engineers, coaches etc should be the ones on the podium. At one time F1 drivers needed to be able to feel their cars and how far they could push, how to nurse them home etc, now a bloke in the pits does that for them. I have mentioned cycling, nowadays cyclists spin the pedals and a bloke in a team car with a lap top does the thinking. Riders like Merkx and Hinault weren't brilliant because of their pedalling, they were brilliant tactician who could read a race, had great spatial awareness and understood their own potential. I just think sport has lost something and that the locus of performance is now firmly with those who are guiding the sports people. And as has been said, regardless of all that it is against the rules in tennis and rules are rules.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Yes, and I'm sure some of it is really clever and helpful.
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/live...pools-3-1-win-over-athletic-bilbao-video.html

The thing I found odd about this, having never thought about it before, is they punish the player for someone else's actions, rather than fine or ban the coach for their actions.

Yes, that's exactly it. Apply the rules in a positive manner, ban and fine all the tennis coaches cut coaching. They could hire couple people with video cameras and apply the rules equal for all. By doing what they're doing right now they ask for trouble, like we just saw.
[Carlos Ramos is doing some serious soul searching right now...on that coaching ruling call that started a chain reaction, and when s call is made, .called or uncalled for like here, it cannot be undone...it's too late]

So in a way the US Tennis Association (The WTA, World Tennis Association) is responsible for all that mess.
They screwed up that rule big time. That's why in my first or second post I've said they need to revisit their books and improve accordingly.

Serena and Naomi are the victims, we all are. The true culprit is the US Tennis Association...without a single drop of doubt. This rule is completely flawed.

* In addition, regarding a ball call if it's out or in, I believe they use cameras now in their final verdicts. ...Similar to hockey, when they review the videos to see if there was a goal or not. It is right to contest a call and to review the fact behind the camera lenses.

Tennis is a great sport. It's worth encouraging the kids to be active, in shape, humble, competitive, friendly with proper manners, with good rules that are clear and not ambiguous and unjust and unfair and unequal and unreliable.
A sportsman, athlete in any discipline who's bad temper is inappropriate and influence the outcome of the game needs to be warned faster than too late. If the umpire is not fast enough it's the umpire who should be banned and replaced.

The rule of coaching in tennis has to be revisited with the utmost seriousness and rectified accordingly for the good of the sport played by the athletes and viewed by the spectators...moms, dads, kids, families.

Get your act together and right now, don't wait any longer, you the World Tennis Association. ...All countries, not just the US. This one just happened to be the US Grand Slam, the 2018 US Tennis Open.

An umpire should never let his emotions rise above the laws. Why did Carlos Ramos give a coaching warning to Serena Williams, that's what I want to know, and only Carlos knows best the answer to that question with true assertiveness.
___

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rena-williams-matches/?utm_term=.ecf89d8929ef

Last edited:
Top Bottom