• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sports News | Naomi Osaka defeats Serena Williams in upset @ 2018 US Open Final

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
First Grand Slam Title for 20-year old Naomi Osaka, against 36-year old Serena Williams.
This was the most bizarre Grand Slam Final ever. It was unreal, surreal, with extremely high emotions and intense drama...with tears rolling down the eyes of the two women competitors.

I believe that from now on there is going to be better clarity in the rules of coaching from the stands. ...On the way Marvel superheroes from the comic books and Disney Hollywood movies are influencing the dress code on the tennis courts, on the tennis association being more open and clear in explaining their expectations, on better dialog, better diplomacy, role model image, advertisements for sports apparels, runners, wardrobes, ..., on etiquette, on common sense, on control of emotions and egos, on flexibility with the rules, on comportment, on wisdom, on everything that counts to make it better for everyone.

Everyone is doing it (coaching) and no one ever got penalized for it, but it is in the book of rules as a punishable infraction. The tension though started before, when Selena was trailing behind on her serves, and you could tell some emotional frustration. The umpire (tower chair referee) gave a warning first about coaching, and after that everything went south, with the volcano erupting.
___

5b944cfa1982d8ba138b5297-960-480.jpg

https://www.businessinsider.com/naomi-osaka-beats-serena-williams-in-us-open-final-2018-9

Serena Williams, is she catwoman?

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/09/carlos-ramos-serena-williams-tennis-umpire-us-open
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...00-for-u-s-open-code-violations-idUSKCN1LP0KP

Tennis experts on the courtyard?
I've read many comments, from all sides, the wrongs and the rights.
I've played lots of sports when I was in high school, before and after.
I've hit few tennis balls too.

My take on this latest, very simple: Selena Williams was frustrated of trailing behind, it created an emotional discharge of all past frustrations. She plain and simply lost her cool. Things got to her head in a dysfunctional unbalance. She is not the only one...Catwoman superheroe.

She should visit Elon Musk and hang with him for few days...just to cool off and search into a new and better life's direction...I think. Put her soul into raising her family?

What sez you? Do you have an opinion?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/09/carlos-ramos-serena-williams-tennis-umpire-us-open
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...00-for-u-s-open-code-violations-idUSKCN1LP0KP

Tennis experts on the courtyard?
I've read many comments, from all sides, the wrongs and the rights.
I've played lots of sports when I was in high school, before and after.
I've hit few tennis balls too.

My take on this latest, very simple: Selena Williams was frustrated of trailing behind, it created an emotional discharge of all past frustrations. She plain and simply lost her cool. Things got to her head in a dysfunctional unbalance. She is not the only one...Catwoman superheroe.

She should visit Elon Musk and hang with him for few days...just to cool off and search into a new and better life's direction...I think. Put her soul into raising her family?

What sez you? Do you have an opinion?

It's always a bad day for the sport when a discretionary call by an umpire changes the direction of the game. Serena should've had better control over her emotions, she stepped over the line. But Carlos (and other umpires) should be more even-handed in applying discretionary code violations, such as coaching and verbal abuse. Everyone was the loser as the result. Serena, Osaka, the fans, and the sport of tennis.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I agree with it almost all. A true champion remains calm @ all times, never losing his/her cool. Naomi is the champion here.

A lot of people are going to do some serious soul searching here I think.
This reflects Serena Williams's emotional temper and the consequences of it.
The umpire had a reputation to stick by the rules, by the book.
He too was emotionally hurt.

People from all classes and races and genders and religions and origins and values are fragile, all humans with emotions. Nothing's wrong with that; showing oppression through frustration is, I think. Serena Williams is a strong woman, a powerful tennis player. She is not an umpire, she is not a judge, she is not sitting down and being a spectator, she is the spectacle. And she sure was again.

I've also read some about wardrobes and her previous black cat tight outfit; it made her feel like superwoman, a superheroe and it helped her for better blood circulation after giving birth, she said.
To me she was on her way to lead a fashion model show on the tennis court. ...Hollywood Disney Marvel type. Professional cyclists wear tight clothing too, with aerodynamic material and properties, for better blood circulation, sweat perspiration skin control. ...Great athletes, great dramas too.

Tennis is in the golf sports category, a classy elegant sports where you look classy and hit a ball. Golf has a much better environment though; a golf course is full of greens, trees, water, sand, birds, butterflies, squirrels, ...it's a beautiful nature sometimes with the ocean near by, or tall forests, or high cliffs, wildlife, ...all that beautiful maintained natural outdoors jazz.
A tennis court is extremely limited, a restricted box, tiny borders, indoors and outdoors.
When playing outdoors without a roof, and that the temperature is in the 100 degree level, it could become boiling up there.

On a golf course you have a golf cart with a roof, a caddy who coaches you and follows you with a big umbrella. Today's golf carts are equipped with fans and AC. There is a cooler with ice and pops. ...Chocolate bars, chips, pop starts, Perrier water on ice.

But both sports have that common higher class image. That's only two of them, horse riding competition is another, horse races, horse Polo, etc.

Tennis is still a sports viewed as elegant, dance, classy, good manners, reserved clothing, beautiful to watch, athletic, ...

We make what we make from what we see, from what we perceive, from what we believe. Gracious athletes we love watching, role models we love to value, ...@ the end we love strong characters with a strong heart, a strong coolness factor (high damping) and humility and emotional control. ...Naomi Osaka.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's always a bad day for the sport when a discretionary call by an umpire changes the direction of the game.

It didn't change the direction of the game- she was behind and clearly having a bad day.

Her behaviour was absolutely shocking and brings the game into disrepute. I wouldn't cross the road to watch such a bad tempered person. She should be ashamed of herself and take some time off.

We've got Nick Kyrios and he's got a shocking attitude too.

Remember Super Brat? (McEnroe)- he was an angel compared to these oafs.

derp1n

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I was observing the strong lower arms Serena has, muscular...a great powerful attribute for her serves and returns.

I always thought that pointing an authoritative finger @ anyone is like a mother saying no, teaching her kid to not do that. Serena instinctively and emotionally used that gesture towards the umpire. I put myself in the shoes of the umpire, ouch.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It didn't change the direction of the game- she was behind and clearly having a bad day.

Her behaviour was absolutely shocking and brings the game into disrepute. I wouldn't cross the road to watch such a bad tempered person. She should be ashamed of herself and take some time off.

Worse here behaviour an of the crowd did me think top of mind about Trump. On the other hand taking in consideration here normal behaviour i think she was quite emotional this time. Not focusing on tennis for sure.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
rules.png

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It changed the direction, since we’ll never know how it would’ve turned out without the unnecessary interference from the umpire. I agree that Serena crossed the line, as well. As I said, a bad day for the sport.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
How often sports winners apologize with tears for defeating their competitors, sports opponents?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/tenn...ena-williams-final/1dxuqmecowir91gvuet4sous8a

I tell you this, extremely rarely. This has to be unique; Naomi Osaka is fermenting the history books in huge waves. I don't remember last time I saw a true champion, she is all the way across all the world's oceans. She is the inspiration for our planet's human balance, decency, dignity, respect, humility, glory.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It is about behaviour, not race.

Our tantrum brat showcased by Knight:

DmxeO00U8AAM3rZ.jpg

41498839_10155765581492688_1393580127203360768_n.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The paper that printed it is doubling down and complaining about “political correctness gone mad”.

Well it has gone mad in our country and it appears, much of the world. Print cartoonists have the ability to shine a light on events and spark discussion and outrage. It's important and part of a decent free speech. I would expect her on-court behaviour to improve markedly after the attention it has got.

Other newspapers are rather critical

That's because they wish they had that cartoon and a brave enough cartoonist. It's no different to South Park- how many people did they viciously caricature over the years?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
So they're making money, getting a larger audience, and making other people jealous, yes?

Sir Sanders Zingmore said:
The paper that printed it is doubling down and complaining about “political correctness gone mad”.
Other newspapers are rather critical

It's a caricature. I've seen many caricatures of presidents, superheroes, Hollywood stars, etc. with exaggerated facials and body dimensions. All papers use cartoonists to add a numerous/humorous touch in all the news around the world. Cartoons have been around for hundreds of years, thousands.

Sterophile used to have cartoons in the pages of their mags, and several other audiophile mags.

We are living nearer to inside the matrix, all serious no humor.
We are extinguishing man's existence by extinction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom