• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL vs. SQ

mansr

Major Contributor
Okay, sorry, thought it was you over at CA, must have been someone else.
Maybe I forgot about it. If I did something that, though, I would probably have included a pair with no difference at all, and people would still have heard more air, deeper soundstage, or some other nonsense in one of them.

tuga

Major Contributor
Let's pick 2 amps - one has a SINAD of x, the other is only 0.7 x but it is played 0.5 dB louder

which will be preferred?

or use THD levels, etc.

SINAD will not tell you which electronic equipment you will prefer. For that you have to listen. You may even prefer one with 0.5 x...
Besides the amplifier performance will be impacted by the load so it must be listened with your speakers (in your room) or your headphones.

There are no free lunches in audio and no star-rating, SINAD or Speaker Preference Rating will provide the magical answer that you are looking for.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please do not mis-characterize my posts as asking for "magical answers."

Are you aware of the oft cited relationship between SPL and preference??

There are citations above if you aren't.

Top Bottom