• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPK5 Unsellable?

sgoldwin

Audio Company
Okay, so my Celuaris SPK5 speakers received a lousy review from Amir. Actually, the SPK5 gets pretty much the same mediocre review from everyone: the tweeter sucks, there's a resonance at 400 Hz and the bass is there but nobody feels it. However, the measurements are actually pretty good, the preference score is high, the directivity is quite good and at least to me in my room I am continually wowed by the depth of bass and clarity across the whole frequency range. As one listener put it, "they play cleanly with authority."

Nonetheless, the speakers appear to be unsellable at anything approaching a normal price given their expense. Which is about £1260 a pair. Two hundred for wood and CNC, £800 for drivers, £200 for crossovers, £60 for everything else (wadding, shipping boxes and foam, wire, screws, glue, etc.). So, a "normal" retail would be £4-5,000 a pair. But, even at £2K the competition from real manufacturers like Harman, KEF, ProAc etc. was too stiff. I don't have a chance to make this a going business, so I am closing the speaker selling arm of Celuaris.

Which leaves me with three pairs of good measuring, super interesting home-built speakers in 21mm Baltic Birch with this year's most talked about woofer. Who wants a completed pair of speakers for £1260? I'll still offer 100% refund within a month.

ctbarker32

Ron of New Record Day said in a recent video that he has heard rumors of a Purifi designed Tweeter. I wonder, if this becomes a reality then it might make the difference for this speaker design?

OP
sgoldwin

sgoldwin

Audio Company
Ummm. I just listened to that review. He mentioned nothing about a rumour, just that he, Ron, wonders if they could make such a tweeter.

ctbarker32

Ummm. I just listened to that review. He mentioned nothing about a rumour, just that he, Ron, wonders if they could make such a tweeter.
It wasn't in the review video you just watched. It was in another video where he dropped a "nugget". If you watch at this exact spot you will hear it for yourself.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stand corrected.

I would not worry too much about info from New Record Day. Not exactly a reliable source. According to Purifi, they plan to offer an alternative to the Mundorf for SPK6. It is NOT a Purifi tweeter, but can see how the rumor mill may have gone there. ;)

Top Bottom