• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ledaig and bladnoch were especially good. I’m still getting to know the Deanston.
Don't think I've ever had Deanston.

Ledaig I've never enjoyed, quite awful, so I've avoided then for years, I wonder if it's changed.

Bladnoch I've loved everything I've ever had.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the special reserve and the antique and am not a big fan. At least they are producing something obtainable now.

I prefer Eagle Rare from BT. I wish you could still buy the 17 for MSRP everywhere.

I have largely moved on to Scotch as Bourbon has gotten so expensive lately.

I have some good bourbon stored away though. ;)

I can not decide if BT or Evam Williams is my favorite distiller. I have and have had some really nice single barrel Elijah Craig 18, 20, etc. Those and the Eagle Rare 17 are my favorites.
Just finished a bottle of the Elijah Craig recently. Liked it
Working on a bottle of Mitcher’s Small Batch currently.

Flaesh

Old pic
1624272899911.png

I can recommend Handsa 63º as "vodka"
1624273159598.png

the manufacturer's website looks very optimistic https://moe.ee/ :p

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just finished a bottle of the Elijah Craig recently. Liked it
Working on a bottle of Mitcher’s Small Batch currently.
Elijah Craig is my go-to bourbon. Smooth and drinkable, and not too expensive.

Rick "worried that it's getting too popular" Denney

hex168

An interesting experiment in home blending: 9 parts Cutty Sark to 1 part Ardbeg 10. It is hard to find a decent blend with enough Islay in it these days, and this does the trick. I would propose it as an excellent candidate for blind testing. Now who's buying?

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The perfect "Tres Hombres"

1.5 oz Cincoro Reposado tequila
0.5 oz Joven Ilegal mezcal
1.0 oz Grand Marnier
1.5 oz Margarita Mix (I like Kirkland because it has only 2 ingredients: lime juice and sugar)

Mix with a lime wedge over ice...

TresHombres.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The perfect "Tres Hombres"

1.5 oz Cincoro Reposado tequila
0.5 oz Joven Ilegal mezcal
1.0 oz Grand Marnier
1.5 oz Margarita Mix (I like Kirkland because it has only 2 ingredients: lime juice and sugar)

Mix with a lime wedge over ice...

View attachment 136992
I like that you put a bit of mezcal. If you really want perfection, I suggest some morena sugar simple syrup and fresh lime juice... i may pick up some joven illegal to try this.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
anybody replicating DBTs on vodka?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
anybody replicating DBTs on vodka?
That's a lot easier than DBT on audio gear... have someone put them in numbered bottles, and put an answer key in an envelope.

Olfactory memory is in another world from audio memory. I am sure I could puck out dozens of wines and spirits I haven't tried in 10 or 20 years.

I am also sure I could discern several vodkas as long as they were different styles, such as wheat, rye, grain alcohol, potato, corn, etc. I couldn't do dozens, but if I got to pick them I am sure I could do 10.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which DBTs on vodka are there to replicate, and what were they testing for?
I think some things to test would be:

Do they even taste different?

If they do, is there actually a preference, or just a difference?

If there is a preference, how is it correlated to brand and price? Are there any bargains?

I would guess that they are different, and there is a preference to go with the difference. I would also guess that preference is much more varied among people than speaker preference. I would guess there is a correlation in preference and price up to about $25 a bottle and far less as price climbs higher. I would guess there are bargains, at least if you test stuff up to $100 or so; there will be lots of good $100 vodka, and several $20 vodkas that give them some competition in absolute preference.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, if you really want a bargain in vodka, raise the noise floor a tad; i.e., squeeze a lemon in that $h!t before the DBT... oh and add some ice.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There are certainly plenty of tests that could be done, but to replicate a test you need to know the details of one that's already been done. That's what I was asking for. I can see some value in seeing if supermarket own-label can be distinguished from whatever your preferred brand is as a starting point for personal testing.

Another interesting one to test would be supermarket own-label Islay single malts vs. a selection of well known ones.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DBTs have historically found that vodkas all taste the same. Flavored vodkas not included. Also, the rogut Russian stuff likely tastes different - the stuff that Russians put black pepper in (the pepper attaches to the diesel fuel in the vodka and sinks to the bottom).

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are certainly plenty of tests that could be done, but to replicate a test you need to know the details of one that's already been done. That's what I was asking for. I can see some value in seeing if supermarket own-label can be distinguished from whatever your preferred brand is as a starting point for personal testing.

Another interesting one to test would be supermarket own-label Islay single malts vs. a selection of well known ones.

There are twelve distilleries on the Isle of Islay, as I understand it, so if there’s a supermarket house brand, it’s probably relabeled from one of them, if they even do that. I’ve never seen supermarket house brands for liquor, though. Wine and beer, yes, but not whisky.

Rick “betting a house-brand Scotch is a Highland blend, rather than an Islayan single malt” Denney

Top Bottom