• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

fitero

I'm a Brandy fan. I find the Cognac and Catalan region Brandys too harsh for my tastes. In case their are others with the same "defect" I would suggest many of the other Spanish Brandys. Here in the USA you can order many of them. They generally have a more oaked, fruity flavor, thanks to the Solera Sherry mix.

For example: Carlos I
Cardenal Mendoza
Duque d'Alba

My absoloute favorite is Brandy Infante but I haven't found a distributor here in the States.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just finished this ,
Screenshot_20200422_162323_com.android.chrome.jpg

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Armagnac... please compare to XO Hennessy Cognac
I've never been much of a fan of Cognac, so my enthusiasm for spending a lot of one isn't high. Is this different from other examples?

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest many of the other Spanish Brandys. Here in the USA you can order many of them. They generally have a more oaked, fruity flavor, thanks to the Solera Sherry mix.

For example: Carlos I
Cardenal Mendoza
Duque d'Alba

My absoloute favorite is Brandy Infante but I haven't found a distributor here in the States.
I've only tried Cardinal Mendoza from that list, loved it, I'll check out the others.

t129

Don't really get coloured spirits. Why was the stuff forgotten in a barrel? Was there something wrong with it?

Joking aside one of the best gins I have had is an Islay gin (The Botanist) and best "moonshine" was Irish (they obviously had a different name for it and I can't recall the producer of the particular variety).

Nowadays sweet gin is en vogue at my house. At least here up north a very niche product but, oh boy, some Old Tom and a splash of Angostura. So spicy, so nice and smooth and without the reek of cordial or god forbid the herbal horrors of the European mainland. The Royal Navy knew their stuff. (I know it is supposed to be Plymouth gin, but I'm on a verge to claim Haymans Old Tom works even better)

old-tom.jpg

For simpler times, there is vodka. I take Green Mark. Pine cone flavour if you have it. Again, smooth as it gets and less marketing excrement. Even Grey goose has a unpleasant tang compared. It is a small wonder how bad most vodkas are. (I'm looking at you Finlandia...) But so it goes. Often have to survive on Latvian Stolichnaya.

greenmarkbottles.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Nowadays sweet gin is en vogue at my house. At least here up north a very niche product but, oh boy, some Old Tom and a splash of Angostura. So spicy, so nice and smooth and without the reek of cordial or god forbid the herbal horrors of the European mainland. The Royal Navy knew their stuff. (I know it is supposed to be Plymouth gin, but I'm on a verge to claim Haymans Old Tom works even better)
I prefer my Old Tom from Robinsons, but that would be in a different thread

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just ordered this:
2019-TR6-750ml-resize.png

and this:
WT_Products_RussellsReserve_6yr_Rye.jpg

patiently waiting. I'll keep y'all posted.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1587627561878.png

Stuff's good. Smoothest gin I ever had by quite a distance, without tasting watered down at all. Not at all floral: very herbal, medicinal and moderately dry - so it might be polarising. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I had an amazingly floral and complex oolong tea-finished Botanist at a wonderful gin bar here in Singapore. They have over 400 tea-finished spirits, with a particular focus on gin. Unfortunately, my date that night was excruciating. Doesn't stop me from highly recommending them for anyone who is in the country,

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-bT1hi8Jgy8XuippGvQ6RhQVmvs5t7kgqE3-ZPEIZ54.jpg

Just poured two very generous drams of this. A quirky Speyside. I get cardboard on the nose.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Any good? I'm dubious about these new versions without having tried them, the traditional versions are personal favourites.
Especially the ones with silly names lol

I do like it , tea spoon of spring water and it's perfectly lovely. Peaty nose , oak tones and same peaty flavour springs forth when you down it's kinda bold maybe slight cherry tinge. I'd say it's quite sweet so if you don't like that it might not be for you.

I think my GF will like it which is nice .

( Just had a pour with no water , on reflection its better without it )

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I do like it , tea spoon of spring water and it's perfectly lovely. Peaty nose , oak tones and same peaty flavour springs forth when you down it kinda bold maybe slight cherry tinge. I'd say it's quite sweet so if you don't like that it might not be for you.

I have heard some Bunnahbhains do a floral peat, which is up my alley. Any idea where I should start for that sort of profile with Bunna?

QMuse

Major Contributor

I do like it , tea spoon of spring water and it's perfectly lovely. Peaty nose , oak tones and same peaty flavour springs forth when you down it kinda bold maybe slight cherry tinge. I'd say it's quite sweet so if you don't like that it might not be for you.

( Just has a pour with no water , on reflection its better without it )

When I visited Jameson distillery few years ago I was told you guys not only don't have a clue how to make proper whiskey but you don't know how to spell it properly either. :D

Top Bottom