• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I had a good friend that was shopping for a Barrel of Bourbon for his restaurant.
While visiting Willett Distillery down there, he was gifted a very special bottle. A Rye, don't remember the age, but it came from just the right spot in the Rickhouse that they let it keep maturing. The result was a batch yielding 8 bottles. (He didn't buy a barrel from them, ended up with a nice Four Roses barrel... wasn't as good as that Unicorn Rye!)
I have never tasted anything so good as that.
;)

Regardless, if it goes in the barrel at say 100 proof, a good long rest will get its strength up! If they did a second distillation or such, they could easily reach 110-120 proof into the barrel.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless, if it goes in the barrel at say 100 proof, a good long rest will get its strength up! If they did a second distillation or such, they could easily reach 110-120 proof into the barrel.
It's weird how bourbon gets stronger in the cask, but scotch gets weaker, something to do with humidity.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
125 proof ! ?

Yep. At that level of quality (and with acclimatisation over time), there's no alcoholic burn. I even drank a 65.5% ABV/131 proof Japanese whiskey last week. And have had plenty of Scotch/Japanese whiskey/bourbon in the 120-130 US proof range. Some lesser whiskies can be harsh but take a teaspoon of water well. Also, most distillers would only bother to bottle at such high proof for spirits that are made for sipping neat, or in rare cases for very stiff cocktails like Plantation OFTD.

A few weeks earlier, I was also lucky enough to try this 4:

IMG_20230926_183801.jpg

P.S. Stagg, Stagg Jr., WLW, Weller and Willett practically don't exist at retail here to end consumers and secondary pricing here is up there with the worst in the US. Will happily reimburse any ASR user who happens to have access to any of this stuff at anywhere close to retail, and will fly by this part of the world.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. At that level of quality (and with acclimatisation over time), there's no alcoholic burn. I even drank a 65.5% ABV/131 proof Japanese whiskey last week. And have had plenty of Scotch/Japanese whiskey/bourbon in the 120-130 US proof range. Some lesser whiskies can be harsh but take a teaspoon of water well. Also, most distillers would only bother to bottle at such high proof for spirits that are made for sipping near, or in rare cases for very stiff cocktails like Plantation OFTD.

A few weeks earlier, I was also lucky enough to try this 4:

View attachment 322513
I'm about to take up rye and whiskey again rather than gin'n tonics... Gin'n tonic for me is more of a summer beverage

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm about to take up rye and whiskey again rather than gin'n tonics... Gin'n tonic for me is more of a summer beverage

I'm not that experienced with the American side of spirits because Scotch and Japanese whiskey are much easier to come by here. Starting to figure out I really like Weller, Willett, Bombergers and selected Maker's Mark barrel selects with more French oak.

The sugary oakiness is not for everyday but sometimes it just hits the spot. Unfortunately all thay stuff practically can only be bought on the secondary market at insane prices here.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not that experienced with the American side of spirits because Scotch and Japanese whiskey are much easier to come by here. Starting to figure out I really like Weller, Willett, Bombergers and selected Maker's Mark barrel selects with more French oak.

The sugary oakiness is not for everyday but sometimes it just hits the spot. Unfortunately all thay stuff practically can only be bought on the secondary market at insane prices here.
I like a stronger/darker whiskey or rye. I usually buy domestic Canadian because we have some decent stuff here. Wisers and Canadian Club all have special blends that are available off the shelf. Then there is Alberta Premium which is a low costs rye that is made locally and is decent too but not as good as Wisers 12 year or Canadian Club 18 year.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor

There is a lot of good stuff out there. Weller is part of Buffalo Trace which includes Pappy, Eagle Rare, etc.

Willett is a favorite but commands a higher price. It's a special purchase kind of tipple. :) I never mix it. ;)

Michter's is another one to keep your eyes open for. Their standard fare is very good, but they also have some special releases that are supposed to be delicious.

Maker's is an interesting one. I treat that as my well bourbon. ...Or Elijah Craig depending on where I am and pricing. Both can be enjoyed neat and mix well in most situations.

Now that Bourbon is no longer a protected name (sadly), you can find expressions popping up all over the place. High west in Utah has some nice stuff. California has a burgeoning whiskey scene, too.

One of the local favorites I've had is Redwood Empire Emerald Giant Rye: RE also has a bourbon and a blended whiskey that are tasty, too.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I like a stronger/darker whiskey or rye. I usually buy domestic Canadian because we have some decent stuff here. Wisers and Canadian Club all have special blends that are available off the shelf. Then there is Alberta Premium which is a low costs rye that is made locally and is decent too but not as good as Wisers 12 year or Canadian Club 18 year.
WhistlePig or bust!
:)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These appear affordable.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The bar I frequent has a super old 30+yo Wiser they keep recommending me to try...

There is a lot of good stuff out there. Weller is part of Buffalo Trace which includes Pappy, Eagle Rare, etc.

Willett is a favorite but commands a higher price. It's a special purchase kind of tipple. :) I never mix it. ;)

Michter's is another one to keep your eyes open for. Their standard fare is very good, but they also have some special releases that are supposed to be delicious.

Maker's is an interesting one. I treat that as my well bourbon. ...Or Elijah Craig depending on where I am and pricing. Both can be enjoyed neat and mix well in most situations.

Now that Bourbon is no longer a protected name (sadly), you can find expressions popping up all over the place. High west in Utah has some nice stuff. California has a burgeoning whiskey scene, too.

One of the local favorites I've had is Redwood Empire Emerald Giant Rye: RE also has a bourbon and a blended whiskey that are tasty, too.

I've tried Eagle Rare, too tart and tannic for me. Weller has this nice velvety texture and fresh berry note. But I've only tried Full Proof, CYPB. Oh, and Poor Man's Pappy, which was really like drinking frosted flakes.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The bar I frequent has a super old 30+yo Wiser they keep recommending me to try...
I've never had a bad Wisers whiskey but I only buy the 12 year and older Wisers. . It goes down veryyy easily and has a fantastic flavor and a mild burn.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've tried Eagle Rare, too tart and tannic for me. Weller has this nice velvety texture and fresh berry note. But I've only tried Full Proof, CYPB. Oh, and Poor Man's Pappy, which was really like drinking frosted flakes.
I've never really been a fan of Eagle Rare. It makes a better mixed drink than neat. The Weller black label is the pappy "reject." Bottles are selling for ~300 here. Not worth it.

I used to drink the 12 year Lot B Van Winkle Special Reserve... When it was $40 per bottle.

Now:

Frankly, this is their best expression. the older stuff isn't worth the extra cost. Just my 2¢.

But I also don't buy $1000 bottles of anything! I may, from time to time, pay 30-40 for a hopefully healthy pour, though. (Did that for a 30yr Talker and some legit old school Black Maple Hill when they were still working with the crew from Pappy and some other high end KY distillers.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never really been a fan of Eagle Rare. It makes a better mixed drink than neat. The Weller black label is the pappy "reject." Bottles are selling for ~300 here. Not worth it.

I used to drink the 12 year Lot B Van Winkle Special Reserve... When it was $40 per bottle.

Now:

Frankly, this is their best expression. the older stuff isn't worth the extra cost. Just my 2¢.

But I also don't buy $1000 bottles of anything! I may, from time to time, pay 30-40 for a hopefully healthy pour, though. (Did that for a 30yr Talker and some legit old school Black Maple Hill when they were still working with the crew from Pappy and some other high end KY distillers.)

I'll spend up to about $60 for a bottle of Canadian whiskey. I have had some expensive stuff and it was very tasty but not very affordable for me. I suppose if I where flush with cash I could see myself spending up to $100 but $60 seems to be a average limit. Wisers in Canada is domestic and can be found in the 12 to 15 year zone within my price range.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
O and I remembered I found a very dusty bottle of Crown Royal that was a ~$80 bottle on sale for ~$45 and I grabbed that very quickly. For some reason nobody was buying it at the price and they marked it down and I found it.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'll spend up to about $60 for a bottle of Canadian whiskey. I have had some expensive stuff and it was very tasty but not very affordable for me. I suppose if I where flush with cash I could see myself spending up to $100 but $60 seems to be a average limit. Wisers in Canada is domestic and can be found in the 12 to 15 year zone within my price range.
Agreed. I usually won't spend over $100 for something I know I will enjoy sipping. I have a BIB and a Cask Strength Rye from Redwood Empire that were each right at that limit. 1 year old and I still have them!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I usually won't spend over $100 for something I know I will enjoy sipping. I have a BIB and a Cask Strength Rye from Redwood Empire that were each right at that limit. 1 year old and I still have them!
I purchase for consumption and not for aging/saving for later. So if I purchase I usually open it upon arrival at home. Speaking of which I am going to the liquor store in the next couple of days and will get some whiskey. Probably a Wisers because I feel like that flavor. I am finding Indo whiskeys on the shelves lately. Is this so in your area too. Have you tried the Indo whiskeys?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
View attachment 322525
Buffalo Trace Distillery
Nice. Not my favorite neat, but it holds up well in a mixed drink! :)

Another one that is kind of cool is Redemption. Their Rye, iirc, is 99% rye in the mash bill. They also used to do a high-rye bourbon which was something like 45-48% rye. pretty good stuff at an affordable price point. Fun to play with. :D

Top Bottom