• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
:DBourdain stopped their in one of his episodes in one of his series... just look for Hawaii or Honolulu.
A sore subject for me I love the heck out of that guy and so do my friends so he must have some sort of universal appeal. He had the best culinary show in my opinion and he was a great TV show host. Such a waste. Somebody Feed Phil is OK but it's missing something.
And for Dog's sake... put on another Parka and a third Ushanka while you make sweet, sweet love to that space heater... you're making me cold just thinking that far north!
I usually go out in all temps and conditions but this time at -50C'ish I hid indoors for a week+ while the cold snap went away finallly. I remember the last December visit to San Francisco I was with my best friend's sister's husband's relatives. It was not freezing and I was out in-line skating in a big park. I thought the weather was great! Then we where all huddled in their home and secretly smoking cannabis as they explained to me the seriousness of the laws regarding cannabis and it made it more special...lol.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
A sore subject for me I love the heck out of that guy and so do my friends so he must have some sort of universal appeal. He had the best culinary show in my opinion and he was a great TV show host.
I cried that day.
I usually go out in all temps and conditions but this time at -50C'ish I hid indoors for a week+ while the cold snap went away finallly. I remember the last December visit to San Francisco I was with my best friend's sister's husband's relatives. It was not freezing and I was out in-line skating in a big park. I thought the weather was great! Then we where all huddled in their home and secretly smoking cannabis as they explained to me the seriousness of the laws regarding cannabis and it made it more special...lol.
What? There are laws? Last December? About Cannabis?

Or about inline skating naked in a park cos you thought it was Summer?

:p

IMG_0200.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I cried that day.

What? There are laws? Last December? About Cannabis?

Or about inline skating naked in a park cos you thought it was Summer?

:p
Yeah, Anthony made some people I know a bit angry but then they kicked in the empathy and everything was better. Depression is deadly as we all know.
There where serious laws regarding cannabis at that time before the end of prohibition. So many people seriously hurt by laws of prohibition of a harmless drug. sigh*
I was surprised and a bit embarrassed with the in-line skaters in San Francisco because they where flying past me and making me look bad. Lol. @ home I was a skater god so to be amongst such talent was humbling. I bought new skates to massage my ego when I got home that where cross trainers and much faster. Great city. I've been 2 times and had fun and interesting times each time. We went pub crawling one night and we hit up everyplace that we ran across and the most cool was a ~5 story building with a jazz pub, hard rock pub, metal pub and a rock pub all in the same building. We hung out there for awhile and enjoyed the fireside sitting in the jazz bar. :D

A client introduced me to this place in Barcelona: L'Ascensor
Very much a speakeasy - you enter through an old elevator and come out in the 1940's...

And probably my favorite bar on the planet (I don't get out much..) is this place in Florence Italy: Public House 27

These guys spin vinyl and have an encyclopedic knowledge of US Classic Rock! Great local cast of characters.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Yeah, Anthony made some people I know a bit angry but then they kicked in the empathy and everything was better. Depression is deadly as we all know.
There where serious laws regarding cannabis at that time before the end of prohibition. So many people seriously hurt by laws of prohibition of a harmless drug. sigh*
I was surprised and a bit embarrassed with the in-line skaters in San Francisco because they where flying past me and making me look bad. Lol. @ home I was a skater god so to be amongst such talent was humbling. I bought new skates to massage my ego when I got home that where cross trainers and much faster. Great city. I've been 2 times and had fun and interesting times each time. We went pub crawling one night and we hit up everyplace that we ran across and the most cool was a ~5 story building with a jazz pub, hard rock pub, metal pub and a rock pub all in the same building. We hung out there for awhile and enjoyed the fireside sitting in the jazz bar. :D
I'll be 25 years in Cali come this August. ;) San Francisco was my first home here.
If you come back, get Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista in North Beach. There are some Tiki Bars of renown in The City, too.

One premier Wine Country Bar is going to be birthing a sister Tiki Lounge in a neighboring municipality soon. I'm looking forward to this.

As a near-lifer in the service industry, there are many resonances I share with Bourdain. Kitchen Confidential came out not long before I started my path in Fine Dining.
The two occurrences had nothing to do with each other.
But the experiences were not dissimilar, I say with all too much regard for what he experienced.
To the people who don't understand... they never will, and can't be helped.
To those of us that do understand... well, we likely are beyond help. ;) But I at least appreciate the understanding.

To all those reading... Don't forget to Tip your Servers WELL and smile when you do!

The bar looks wonderful. I like that sort of style.
It was amazing...of course after a night of wonderful food it was the perfect place to end the evening...(er, morning...??)

There are two other places that I enjoyed in the past few years....
In Dallas for CEDIA there was a place called Bourbon and Banter: They are going for the "speak easy" concept - you enter by typing a code into a phone in a phone booth. Drinks were OK but I met some great folks that were there for the conference.

Another place I enjoyed was Bitter and Twisted in Phoenix AZ. I somehow managed to get my US Sales Manager hooked on Manhattans....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To all those reading... Don't forget to Tip your Servers WELL and smile when you do!
I gave the cabi a bit of a talking to yesterday because he did not have the tip function engaged on his handheld debit machine. He was slightly shocked and because he is apparently a new immigrant I was soft on him but geech man alive the tip function is there for a reason. Me coming from a tip/commission dependent income when I worked the bar lounge for years, the Chinese restaurant too and worked straight commission for 5 years selling home audio gear. Sometimes I would like to have a restaurant and think I could make a go of it but those cost huge to setup and I don't have the equity or cash. Tips are part of the social fabric and have a place in business. I always tip the grocery deliver person at ~15% and that gets them more willing to bring the stuff right to my door and not leave it at the foyer. I figured I would stock up and bought ~$550 worth of groceries and the delivery person left them at the foyer. I called and complained and they said that is not supposed to happen. Since I started tipping the delivery drivers better I have had better service. Money is the grease that keeps the wheels turning in tip oriented operations. :D Frankly the last grocery order I accepted when it was -50C with wind chill I would have happily tipped $20 just for the privilege of not having to go out in that weather. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was amazing...of course after a night of wonderful food it was the perfect place to end the evening...(er, morning...??)

There are two other places that I enjoyed in the past few years....
In Dallas for CEDIA there was a place called Bourbon and Banter: They are going for the "speak easy" concept - you enter by typing a code into a phone in a phone booth. Drinks were OK but I met some great folks that were there for the conference.

Another place I enjoyed was Bitter and Twisted in Phoenix AZ. I somehow managed to get my US Sales Manager hooked on Manhattans....
That's a selection of top shelf stuff for sure.... drOOL!
z bar.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Picked up some Hayman’s London Dry.
Pretty nice.
Trying it in a few different ratios of Martini with 1 dash Regan’s Orange Bitter and twist of Lemon…
Vermouth is Dolin Dry.
4:1 is my favorite with this.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Today it is Hemmingways with Plantation 3***... A few dases of Scrappy's Grapefruit Bitters and a Pinch of Kosher Salt for my house taste.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20230103_204703.jpg

Incredible. Rave reviews everywhere with good reason - an all-timer bottled in 2013, relatively recently as far as these things go. Limes, kiwi, fig, rhubarb, unripe mangoes, strawberry candy.

IMG_20230103_212241.jpg

This was dripping with vanilla sponge cake, and sugar glaze notes.

IMG_20230103_213024.jpg

This had sugary macaron, lemon meringue, maple syrup, soy candle notes.

IMG_20230103_215159.jpg

Tormore 1988 single cask on left was a malt and breakfast tea explosion, with some pomegranate. Tormore 1995 on right was exquisitely fruity though not quite as complex as the Convalmore: blackcurrant, fresh plums, nimm2 hard candy some Europeans here might be familiar with.

IMG_20230103_220521.jpg

This had softer, more fragrant tea notes, more of a Pu'er, as well as sweetened tapioca and vanilla cream.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
And today…
South Side Cocktails with Hayman’s London Dry.

Base…
2oz gin
1oz fresh lime
1/2 oz turbinado syrup
5 mint leaves plus a sprig to garnish

Muddle the leaves with lime and syrup, add gin.
Shake with ice.
Double strain
Garnish with slapped mint sprig.

I find the Hayman’s to be citrus forward and am using 2.25 oz to a “generous” 3/4 oz lime.

Yum.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
^
Among London Drys, you can still find a very significant range of flavor profiles, some favoring the citrus character and others the aromatics.

I didn’t mix any of these, tonight, with my Tanqueray, for example, which has a bit more aromatic profile to it while still maintaining a strong citrus component. No other reason than I just wanted to focus on the citrus and mint character of the cocktail. ;)
Maybe another day…
But my next Gin I want to get a Navy or Gunpowder to play with. Some are great for a cocktail with a lot of mixers. I don’t know that I would want a navy strength extra dry ‘Tini!
Might as well knock back a few shots of 151! :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my next Gin I want to get a Navy or Gunpowder to play with. Some are great for a cocktail with a lot of mixers. I don’t know that I would want a navy strength extra dry ‘Tini!
Might as well knock back a few shots of 151! :p
I can only imagine the trouble I would get into slurping back that go-juice... Lol. :D

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Tonight’s tipple is a Black Manhattan.

House recipe:
2.25 oz Redwood Empire Rye
3/4 oz Averna
1/4 oz Cherry Heering
~1/2 barspoon cherry syrup
1 dash Ango
1 dash Bittercube Cherry Bark-Vanilla Bitters
Stir over ice, strain, up with a cherry

Top Bottom