• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

bkdc

Forum Donor
Did you run double blind test?))..
It would be no contest. They are both stellar but the 25 is intensely complex. A true masterpiece. Full on sherry cask but less fruity and a lingering chocolate cinnamon bark note. I hear the newer 25 bottling is no worse in nose/taste even though the color is lighter and there has been some cost cutting involved. I bought 3 bottles priced less than 220 USD about 8 years ago and just opened the first bottle last year. I bought the 21’s at a bargain too….. 3 bottles at less than 80 USD back at a time when aged Scotch was plentiful. The 25 is so intense and complex that it should only be pulled out twice a year on an occasion such as a family gathering around the fireplace at Christmas. The finish is loooooooong. The longest finish I’ve ever experienced. It would probably linger for half an hour if I didn’t put something else in my mouth. :). I’m pretty sure I’ll have to hand down the unopened bottles to my children. :)

Flaesh

I went to the bakery, but there was no Georgian bread and I had to buy Uzbek bread; at the same time I bought a cheap Irish blend at a discount:
1669226717549.png

-14ºС (~6ºF) outside

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Single cask Glenlivet 15yo bottled by Signatory Vintage for La Maison du Whisky. Delectably floral.

DyTOPKiPxT4SxQjYqEf-WkwgkgSF26AwC7XbUXc0sM8.jpg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Monte Carlo (orange)

4 pt (2oz) Bulleit Rye
1 pt (.5oz) Benedictine
3-4 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
Twist of orange

(Traditional Monte Carlo is with Angostura and Lemon.)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a reservation at the hottest new bar in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and possibly South-east Asia - with good reason. Incredible cocktails, especially since there was little emphasis on esoteric ingredients that do not lend themselves naturally to cocktails, flashy molecular techniques or crazy complicated recipes with 7-8 ingredients.

Instead, (largely) familiar ingredients are put in straightforward yet delightfully original combinations. Restrained mastery.

IMG_20221228_202712_603.jpg

Rum, violette liqueur, umeshu, sakura salt - somehow this combination tastes like watermelon candy to me. My favourite both in looks and taste.

IMG_20221228_204422.jpg

Pine-infused mezcal, manuka honey and sherry. Somehow the freshness of the pine, the earthy manuka honey, the smokiness of the mezcal and the savoury sherry combined to give the impression of cocoa butter on my tastebuds.

IMG_20221229_083248_512.jpg

And my favourite classic cocktail - Airmail, served straight up in a flute with a delicate lemon twist. The best way to enjoy this drink IMHO - and one that reflects its French 75 lineage. Rum, honey, lemon juice and champagne - I noticed the bar had all four ingredients on hand as it used all four in its menu so I thought to ask for it.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Monte Carlo (orange)

4 pt (2oz) Bulleit Rye
1 pt (.5oz) Benedictine
3-4 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
Twist of orange

(Traditional Monte Carlo is with Angostura and Lemon.)
that sounds good. I need to restock the rye supply.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Wine Country, CA
Cold-ish and gray: More Rain and a high of ~48º today.

Drinking Tanqueray Last Words and listening to Reggae on Pandora.

(Thought about something Rummy but don't have much in the way of a good Dark right now and have been digging on some Rum Old Fashions lately. ;) )

(Forecast is looking like the North Bay might get the brunt of the upcoming storm starting Wednesday with a range of 4-8" expected depending on location... and where Ground Zero of the Atmospheric River might be.)

(That said... anybody traveling over the next week... ANYWHERE in the US... Let's all hope Canuckistan keeps their COLD all to themselves. :p )

(Beyond that... lets all enjoy the spirit of sharing. Cocktails for all and Puff-Puff-Pass! :D )

Happy MF'n New Years!

(And just one more parenthetical statement...
Yes, the Cimarons are English, but d@mn!, nonetheless.)

:)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's all hope Canuckistan keeps their COLD all to themselves. :p
I was in -50C (-58F) with wind chill temps for about 10 to 12 days in Canada and it was veryyy horrible. We are at -2C (28F) today and going to +2C (36F) in several days so there is relief possibly coming in days.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I was in -50C (-58F) with wind chill temps for about 10 to 12 days in Canada and it was veryyy horrible. We are at -2C (28F) today and going to +2C (36F) in several days so there is relief possibly coming in days.
Consider that Thumbs Up a friendly hug.

There is a reason I left the MidWest.

Winter, Wind Chill, Blizzards, Snow, Slush, Freezing Rain...

Can all suck my left Dangly Bit.

:D

It's OK... after the hernia, it don't dance no mo'. And I'll still have the other one. :)

To all you Canuckistani Friends... please don't forget to wrap up tight and stay warm! There may come a day when you go to Hawaii and bathe in the glow of a beautiful sun while knocking back Tiki Drinks on a sandy beach that soothes your Maple-flavored soul. Don't let your Tropical Fantasy die! ;)

By the way...
I recommend the Zombies at La Mariana Sailing Club.

tropical-drink_1f379.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Wowowow... What a place. I found a place kinda like that in Vancouver; a Tiki lounge in a hotel. I used to take dates there and they loved it.
AF1QipOHp2SUBtb792duCvyx_CKrEBNyQ6G4OmxNp0fK=s1360-w1360-h1020
It's a pretty sweet place on ambience alone.

Bourdain stopped their in one of his episodes in one of his series... just look for Hawaii or Honolulu.

And for Dog's sake... put on another Parka and a third Ushanka while you make sweet, sweet love to that space heater... you're making me cold just thinking that far north!

:p

:D

:cool:

Top Bottom