• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

bkdc

Forum Donor
Finally finished off the Yamazaki 12 bottle and trying to bottom out a few more. Too many bottles open at a time lets then sit around.

Popping open a few bottles as I finished off Aberlour and Glenmorangie some time ago. I need to savor the few bottles of old Aberlour 18 in the stash. Seven or eight years ago I would take it for granted as it was 1/3 the price of Macallan 18, easily available with 90% of the Macallan 18 nose and taste. The newer Aberlour is now a double cask PX Oloroso concoction…. I hope it’s an improvement and not a decline.
DDFF16B4-C6BF-4CC0-9800-577F40111F1D.jpeg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally finished off the Yamazaki 12 bottle and trying to bottom out a few more. Too many bottles open at a time lets then sit around.
Popping open a few bottles as I finished off Aberlour and Glenmorangie some time ago. I need to savor the few bottles of old Aberlour 18 in the stash. Seven or eight years ago I would take it for granted as it was 1/3 the price of Macallan 18, easily available with 90% of the Macallan 18 nose and taste. The newer Aberlour is now a double cask PX Oloroso concoction…. I hope it’s an improvement and not a decline.
View attachment 237276
The content of your photo is 66+ years old?
[no need to check my math]

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1665957288698.png

Without question the best Ontario vodka. Absolutely mirror smooth.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Haha. Maybe I should take a picture of all my open bottles and see how many hundreds of years are represented. As I get older, I have less tolerance for drinking liquor that is not smooth or has an unpleasant bite. If I’m going to poison my body intermittently, I should do it something that’s worth it! For Scotch, that typically means aged over 15 years. I am hoping for this liquor bubble to come crashing down so that mature Scotch prices come back to reality.

My co-worker says if he is going harm his body wit an unhealthy hamburger, he is going to buy the tastiest and most satisfying burger he can instead of some fast food joint burger.

I love how Glenmorangie writes “extremely rare” on its 18 year version… it is definitely not rare as those giraffe-tall stills (the tallest in Scotland) crank out high volumes of distillate without much complexity in flavor. Glenmorangie base whisky has that clean citrus taste. Great respect for short stills collecting smaller usable fractions of higher complexity taste (at higher cost) and that lovely oily mouth feel.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
man you have an expensive taste!
You haven’t had Scotch until you’ve had Macallan 18 (sherry oak), although the pinnacle of Macallan 18 scotches were caskings between 1992 and 1995 (2011 through 2014 releases). Thankfully, Macallan 18 made a slight recovery after the shameful 2018 release. The 2022 release tastes more like the real deal. Definitely not worth the buy when Glendronach Allardice 18 can be had for less than half the price (if you get lucky and find it in stock at your liquor store). It is sad to see the deep mahogany red color of the Macallan 18 getting less and less intense with recent releases — an indication that inferior sherry casks are being used (possibly more second-fill) as a cost-cutting measure. Glendronach 18 still comes with an INTENSE dark deep color without any use of additive colorings. Someone is still using quality casks!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20221029_164443.jpg

IMG_20221029_144249.jpg

IMG_20221029_142122.jpg

Local whisky festival. Paid 11USD for a pour of each Chichibu single cask. Worth every single cent for unicorn stuff worth over 1k a bottle on the market right now

bkdc

Forum Donor
I wonder what a full 54 bottle set of Ichiro’s malt Hanyu card series goes for on auction these days. It’s amazing that whisky has turned into a collectors business in the past 5 years. It’s like owning a Triptych of a famed painter. LOL.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what a full 54 bottle set of Ichiro’s malt Hanyu card series goes for on auction these days. It’s amazing that whisky has turned into a collectors business in the past 5 years. It’s like owning a Triptych of a famed painter. LOL.

I find the collecting and flipping ridiculous. The only reason I got the Chichibus that cheap was because a Japanese distributor came to the whisky fair I was at pegged his pricing for each pour to retail price back in Japan rather than what single cask Japanese whiskies tend to go for on auction or the secondary market.

That said, the Chichibus were excellent though I'm not sure they were a definitive cut above Scotch. Way I see it, good independent bottlings of distilleries that don't make any concessions to the mainstream market are aplenty. Springbank, Arran, Clynelish, Glencadam, Craigellachie, Glenallachie, Glendronach, Deanston, Edradour are just some examples.

Flaesh

This JB is about 6dB:D more bourbon-ish than 81WT; I don't know what's right))
Another time we tried 81WT first and then JB DO and the perceived difference was less, let's say only about 2 dB more bourbon-ish JB. Mysterious quirks of subjective perception.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do know it is that time of the year at Costco... Right?
202211_CostcoEggnog.jpg
Don't forget the nutmeg powder and cinnamon sticks to stir it with;)!

Top Bottom