• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Playing with my Argonaut Fat Thumb Brandy.

Brandy Cocktail

2 oz Brandy
1/2 oz Curaçao
2 dash Ango
2 dash Peychaud's
Twist of Lemon

I did a cocktail with Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao... but surprise, it is too dry. Even though the Fat Thumb is very smooth and sweet, the cocktail is almost sharp.

Next is 1/4 oz each of Dry Curaçao and Cointreau. This is pleasantly more complex and almost has the sweetness to make for a well balanced tipple.

v3 is 1/2 oz Cointreau with a free-pour of about 2 dash worth of the Dry Curaçao added on top of the bitters. Sweetness is there. I kind of want to back off on the bitters just a hint, maybe lose a dash of the Ango. It's not bad as it stands, and maybe I'm just craving something sweeter right now. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Playing with my Argonaut Fat Thumb Brandy.

Brandy Cocktail

2 oz Brandy
1/2 oz Curaçao
2 dash Ango
2 dash Peychaud's
Twist of Lemon

I did a cocktail with Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao... but surprise, it is too dry. Even though the Fat Thumb is very smooth and sweet, the cocktail is almost sharp.

Next is 1/4 oz each of Dry Curaçao and Cointreau. This is pleasantly more complex and almost has the sweetness to make for a well balanced tipple.

v3 is 1/2 oz Cointreau with a free-pour of about 2 dash worth of the Dry Curaçao added on top of the bitters. Sweetness is there. I kind of want to back off on the bitters just a hint, maybe lose a dash of the Ango. It's not bad as it stands, and maybe I'm just craving something sweeter right now. ;)
Damn that would be quite a shopping trip for me to implement all that! :) Sounds good, tho

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Thanks, made me Google the brandy vs cognac terms.

“Every cognac is a brandy, but not all brandy is a cognac”
This.

And I prefer a good Armagnac to most Cognac on the market. ;)
Guess why Cognac is much more widely known? It is not land locked as is the Armagnac region.

There are some azazing US Brandies. Especially from California. If you ever stumble on Germain Robin, I have always been a fan!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Damn that would be quite a shopping trip for me to implement all that! :) Sounds good, tho
I keep Cointreau as my Orange Liqueur of choice. Inexpensive Triple Sec and Curaçao cause a strange histamine reaction in me. Last time I had a cheap MaiTai I found myself having difficulty breathing. It was then replicated after a cheap Margarita sometime later. Common ingredient was low end Orange Liqueur.
*shrugs
I bought that Dry Cuaçao years ago. It's an interesting option, but tricky. Not too many cocktails need to be "dried up" that much as I just experimented with doing.
For Bitters, Ango is pretty much ubiquitous. Peychaud's is an absolute must for any old school New Orleans style mixing like the Sazerac; it also plays a major role in the Seelbach cocktail. Another good one everybody should keep is a good Orange Bitter like Regan's.

I may actually break with the tradition on this Brandy Cocktail and do 1 dash Ango, 1 Dash Regan's and 1/4 tsp of the Dry Curaçao. (Pretty certain the Brandy Cocktail is a NO style drink from the early days of the Cocktail. ;)
:D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep Cointreau as my Orange Liqueur of choice. Inexpensive Triple Sec and Curaçao cause a strange histamine reaction in me. Last time I had a cheap MaiTai I found myself having difficulty breathing. It was then replicated after a cheap Margarita sometime later. Common ingredient was low end Orange Liqueur.
*shrugs
I bought that Dry Cuaçao years ago. It's an interesting option, but tricky. Not too many cocktails need to be "dried up" that much as I just experimented with doing.
For Bitters, Ango is pretty much ubiquitous. Peychaud's is an absolute must for any old school New Orleans style mixing like the Sazerac; it also plays a major role in the Seelbach cocktail. Another good one everybody should keep is a good Orange Bitter like Regan's.

I may actually break with the tradition on this Brandy Cocktail and do 1 dash Ango, 1 Dash Regan's and 1/4 tsp of the Dry Curaçao. (Pretty certain the Brandy Cocktail is a NO style drink from the early days of the Cocktail. ;)
I've tried various ingredients but not on your level, then none of them caused me particular issues. I have no problems with cheap triple sec in any case, just not something I use much of either. I am definitely more a beer than cocktail guy....

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Chrispy made me do it. :p

So, as above, 2 dash Ango, 2 dash Regan's, 1/4 tsp Dry Curaçao...

If I had a dropper, I would do 15 drops Ango (1-1/2 dash) instead of 2 full dashes. For me, this is a much more intriguing drink. Switch to a flamed Orange Peel if I had Orange today.

I've tried various ingredients but not on your level, then none of them caused me particular issues. I have no problems with cheap triple sec in any case, just not something I use much of either. I am definitely more a beer than cocktail guy....
I am a professional F&B guy... ;)

Funny story... I went to two different restaurants a few weeks ago and had very interesting experiences with sh!tty bartenders mixing up their technique. I had a shaken Vieux Carre (absolutely needs to be stirred) and it was horrible. The aeration and dilution just killed the flavors of Rye and Brandy and tuned it into a mud-bomb in my mouth. The second place served me a stirred Paper Plane which with citrus juice should be shaken. This was not too bad, but really changed the way it drank as it was so much more concentrated and without aeration the citrus is somewhat hidden in the profile.

Anyway... I'm about 10oz of cocktail in now. ;)

Whee!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'm not proud... and I'm not ashamed.

I did one more. *rock horns

It's only 10:30 or so on the west side of the known universe. (Sorry Hawaii! That's called the middle of nowhere! :p )

I'm going to pretend to wax philosophic for a moment:

Food and Beverage should ideally be almost equal parts mental and physical. The Lady and I went to a newer restaurant in a neighboring Town. They are a Southern inspired concept that opened In January. Surprisingly, they had Brunch; which is sadly not a common thing in these here parts.
After my time living in San Francisco, I developed a great appreciation for a good Brunch spot that includes a full bar.
Back in the day, my favorite spot was Absinthe in SF. Very traditional French Bistro. They had a Croque Madame by which all others are judged! And the bar... well, they wrote a book!:

OK... anyway... The Lady and I moved to Wine Country around 10 years ago and I was surprised at how foodie and non-foodie the area was. The worst part is that the staffing situation up here is absolutely abysmal. Regardless, we have found some gems and truly special places.
This new spot had a Sidecar on the menu, a non-traditional Sazerac (which included a cognac), as well as a Bourbon cocktail called the Derby. All three were among the most well crafted cocktails I've had in several years.

Much like the Pork Belly Biscuit they served with a Bourbon Mustard Glaze and Trinity Pickles... The pieces of Pork Belly and Biscuit were precision cut so that you never had a bite without both components! (If you don't know what Trinity is... you got some learning to do. :) )
Like traditional Mirepoix, but Onion, Celery, Bell Pepper
The cocktails were thought provoking. They chose to not use a sugared rim on the Sidecar. The addition of the Brandy to a Classic Sazerac was fantastic. Even the Derby was provocative: it used Bourbon, Vermouth, Lemon Juice, Bitters and Mint... and the most likely inspiration is vastly different with Grapefruit Juice and no Vermouth.

Regardless, from a purely hedonistic approach, everything was quite pleasurable. But intellectually, I was stimulated in a way that I haven't been since I was running my own Kitchen!

And this is where I get to my point! (Yes, I have one...)

Learning how to mix a great cocktail is no different than the foodie movement we are all familiar with. It doesn't even require premium spirits! In fact, sometimes something can be too refined... too soft... too spicy... too sweet....
I would never mix Hendrick's Gin as a Negroni, for example!
But playing around with ingredients is a very enjoyable way to create something unique! It can be as simple as having an already good Margarita recipe but serving a float of Mezcal on it for your Superbowl gathering. I like a Boulevardier with Gran Classico instead of Campari. Changing the vermouth alone can make a profound difference in your favorite Manhattan or Martini...

It can be as simple as that, or finding the perfect cocktail for a more premium spirit. I went to my old Bar Manager as a guest instead of an employee and I said give me a drink with that Old Potrero Rye. He asked what I was in the mood for... I replied that is was up to him.
He came back with an Old Potrero Sour.
And
It
Was
Perfect.

The message is: Just learn a little. Taste a lot. And don't be afraid to play around. Sometimes it is the accident that makes the happy. :)

I'ma take my well-lubricated butt (not that kinda lubed butt you sickos!) to a chair and complete my unwinding now.

Thanks for reading... (If you did.)

Peace, Love and Rock'N'Roll to all of you.

Adam_M

Love it! I felt like I stumbled on something special with that one. Ohio state controlled liquor selection is generally bad, but terrible for rum. It looks like for their rums we get the spiced or pineapple, but none of the ones you mentioned. We'll be heading through PA in a few weeks, meeting up with BiL coming via Pittsburgh to visit the in-laws down in Morgantown. I'll have to see if I can find some of the others in transit, or see if he can find some in Pittsburgh to bring to us.
Well - Maggie's farm is based in Pittsburgh, and distillery direct is the only place you can get a lot of their products. Queen's share is a limited release and they aren't likely to have any. If you go though, they have tastings. Certainly check out the hidden harbor rum (which is available at most of the PLCB stores) and the sherry cask if they have any. The pineapple is great - its eminently drinkable on its own (if you like pineapple) but it's an incredible tiki rum in recipes that call for pineapple rum.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maggie's farm is based in Pittsburgh, and distillery direct is the only place you can get a lot of their products.

I figured thy probably don't widely distribute some products. Still, OHLQ doesn't help this situation.
It looks like there's a PLCB right along our route in Washington, so I'll stop and see what they have in stock that we can't get in Ohio.
I'll have to see how close to their main location is to BiLs conference he's going to in Pittsburgh. Maybe he can pop in there to see if they have any of the special stuff.

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
7403CCF8-83EF-4FAD-830A-2AC1EF22B611.jpeg

Opened the bottle on April 2016 and still not half way through.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Opened the bottle on April 2016 and still not half way through
Do you not notice a drop of in flavour from doing this? I stopped doing it because I did, not that I did a controlled test.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you not notice a drop of in flavour from doing this? I stopped doing it because I did, not that I did a controlled test.

Making a bottle last for 6 years would be a feat in and of itself in my liquor cabinet.....if it's good it gets consumed. I'd not expect a drop in quality/flavor, tho.....is that a thing with old whiskeys?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never tried a Japanese whiskey.
Indulged in some Buffalo Trace tonight.

You aren't missing out much. Yes, the baseline for Japanese whisky is higher than most standard Scotch 12yos but frankly you are not missing out compared to the top tier of standard Scotch bottlings like Kilkerran/Springbank/Arran/Glenallachie/Craigellachie/Glendronach/Ben Nevis/Bunnahabhain/Kilchoman/Ardbeg/Ledaig/Bruichladdich.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
But d@mn if that Nikka Coffey Malt isn't one of the most delicious Whiskeys... ;)

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd not expect a drop in quality/flavor, tho.....is that a thing with old whiskeys?
Once opened oxidation is inevitable, and will eventually lead to it becoming undrinkable, but that takes a very long time. Over a few months I've noticed some flavours seem to evaporate, but more often the flavour improves slightly. I changed from having multiple open bottles to only 1 or 2 when I noticed this.
It's not just me that thinks this.
But I do wonder how much is chemistry, and how much is psychology, I'm sure there is plenty of the latter.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Metaxa 7 star, whilst enjoying the super extended resolution of TBM (XRCD). The metaxa improves the enjoyment considerably more than the XRCD methinks

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Once opened oxidation is inevitable, and will eventually lead to it becoming undrinkable, but that takes a very long time. Over a few months I've noticed some flavours seem to evaporate, but more often the flavour improves slightly. I changed from having multiple open bottles to only 1 or 2 when I noticed this.
It's not just me that thinks this.
But I do wonder how much is chemistry, and how much is psychology, I'm sure there is plenty of the latter.
I would think light exposure would possibly be more detrimental. Never tested it out.
The only reason I’ve seen old bottles sitting around is ‘cause nobody wants to drink it!

bkdc

Forum Donor
Still tastes great. Lovely vanilla malt bouquet. Kept in the dark. I use parafilm to seal around the cork of my more precious bottles but I trust the plastic screw-on caps from Suntory. Parafilm is cheap with respect to some of these spirits. I’ve never experienced degradation except for peated Scotch that can lose smokiness. Some even taste better with time.

I don’t think there is any more oxidation in excess of that done after 12 years of storage in gas permeable wooden casks.

I have four more unopened bottles of Yamazaki 12. I might meet my maker before they are finished.

Last edited:
Top Bottom