• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

bkdc

Forum Donor
For years, I’ve used Plantation 3 Star rum as my “mixing rum” of choice. It’s reasonably priced at around 18 bucks a bottle, and a solid choice for mixers. Please say no to Bacardi and Jose Cuervo. Please. Thankfully, rum, tequila, mezcal, vodka and hasn’t joined the crazy run-up of bourbon or malt whiskey driven by collectors. But the price of entry of quality drinkable is about 40 bucks except vodka. I’m delighted when I occasionally catch a bottle of Fortaleza blanco tequila for 50 bucks or Siete Leguas for 40. I’d probably buy several bottles for mass-production of party-use Cadillac margaritas.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
For years, I’ve used Plantation 3 Star rum as my “mixing rum” of choice. It’s reasonably priced at around 18 bucks a bottle, and a solid choice for mixers. Please say no to Bacardi and Jose Cuervo. Please. Thankfully, rum, tequila, mezcal, vodka and hasn’t joined the crazy run-up of bourbon or malt whiskey driven by collectors. But the price of entry of quality drinkable is about 40 bucks except vodka. I’m delighted when I occasionally catch a bottle of Fortaleza blanco tequila for 50 bucks or Siete Leguas for 40. I’d probably buy several bottles for mass-production of party-use Cadillac margaritas.
There is no room in my bar for Jose Cuervo or Bacardi… or Malibu! :p
Strangely, for margaritas and other mixed tequila drinks, I am a fan of Sauza hornitos reposado. I would never drink it straight…
But it stems from my early days in San Francisco watching Cooking shows on The local PBS. Americas Test Kitchen did a margarita. I had already used it some, but their tasting panel chose that as their preferred mixing tequila. So… synergy! :p
Anyway, their recipe involved making your own fresh sour mix using lime and lemon zest and juice pluse a little sugar and some salt, steeped overnight, an orange liqueur, and the sauza. It makes for me of the most ridiculously drinkable margaritas I have ever had.
I tend not to drink much tequila anymore. Though I am fond of some nice anejos. I can also appreciate the occasional Mezcal. Especially some pechuga!
We had a unique one come through the bar from the allotment program we were on that was a boar pechuga. Wow. It was pretty intense and very delicious. I’ve seen chicken, turkey, rabbit, and have even heard of iguana being used.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Plantation 3 Star rum as my “mixing rum” of choice
If I find a simple cocktail I really like playing with the ingredients until I find the 'right' set for my taste.
I've settled on Don Q Cristal for silver rum for mixing, from our mojito phase.
I've had a bottle of Plantation XO that I remember liking, but it's been a while. I'll have to try the 3 Star for a mixing rum at some point!

Very cool... Falernum is a good one to have around!
I tried it on ice, good but a bit heavy for my taste. So I mixed it with ~50% soda water and it was amazing.
I feel like it would be great in some cocktail, but I'm honestly not great with experiment with anything beyond 2 or 3 ingredients or trying to make my own.
Maybe it could go well in anything that calls for a sweet liqueur or sweet vermouth. I don't think I have a go-to in that area; the only thing I've regularly used vermouth in is vodka martinis and I use dry or less sweet blanc. Any recommendations about how to use it?

Trouble Maker

Corner (liquor) hutch
Ignore the reflection of me in my pajamas. :p

YzWqLpCfgtczgGN5e1Pl3UQKe97ryLLjB2AS22gQhHqWlo80V3qvPfNaJ2dhjEwhT79lxfJ-zveCcsZHXUa_upuGzAaHCq2qE4ff6GAkrkhHuu0WTOkTyvRBY768glL6kt8w4gbsSbr7VHzhXhm1P9uYUWflH9WhZNJ6rLblt96VHjLxrKFYmNICUwvuP4ZC2x82k7RPrcauWSfxyvAD4IhBSWbD_fvbhYbar0VDgASxKd27WPlNe4Gz0NsIM21ehy56uoZnGo_4xrYIQKHi7LjwYMvHPPgRnoPNi6KhTPNnlInvNlxEhMeZG2_OqfsGVpfTFIxM0UZaZeuvlYGjVvBasDgG_BkE5AazMEw1uytFS48orHhxwZrEROKpGZ1T-Sxn9M_z5YCXGezAQ18aJEUsKfA7l7BLgIaDzcKXB4NyDe84UTkGsvHCXHyhRFvPR8T-QlrPO8JZCprLkzUCyT3zBZtCHcXlvook7GmBomdCmSQ4tkq4KVrszi3PX5YWQ4-INIOqBvb2ZL1-EJEcYwzoru4gg-t2wuMaU9ydXP_E9oEZsLXygStvIULcPg-iqylh97u4VHyLHZ-Y9KucbB8mu_wE-LjdjIHm3IM8pVlAk3si3kB-DbHp1McLiCT_e-91Tjf9hcaA2nLU-zjyVsmdd8UuLggpHIHxr8i-3mS6AXVQXnV4eHBChvMGoqE7hWWtkUD_JHK_YlmBP_upJwfaUBk5dk--31XSF_52tvh6eXzJY5jK=w738-h1337-no

I miss-remembered, the Diplomatic Single Vintage I used for the infinity rum bottle was a 2002.

iI_5t3fAIVAYhGswQk_AU7gff6rrQyNq27b480HabVy4eaAZTNpmnis7U574rwAE2JzIJQI82aSn4aBJ6dlMuMozKmEE0XZqTTNU3JQex3j_c85A7dOvEYmpQ_HgWxpsRBxB8LtaF0ZfKGUP1hai1Z5tXRwZVdvGlZJ0zyP22GQzDwkLRSZWHEMH7m0n28Gv_UwqklaXlN750C5yqdo3ujO4oQYbCEJNWSe1gyUaprRDnF0B4IgkQzd80GYpdYvKMgncC2PmG7yrK-sVQ-srtfdAC35VIumAvbA9s6W9eUozao3OdmXdFsWkq6eByleqFPInhBdZa0PBGEtyrwzUfgKB6siFkixnz7ZpwkFt-afmUcN4eUk-ezxBWfHHrwGxZ7A1nRia-6ovlJnzTXgx9m_K7ajHFxH_oiJ6G7CCt7zCi7WPXbTC-DxKo8AgNpt_O0IqUtuq8Ma-e9Jrr-IrfGWYHBz3rTtb0Q7cPXKpmMK1X0c-YBe4T8HHk9f_MdsPjZqZIZanmy2_fs7Ofe06s1VkRXEP5jZ3gILuom7oHhhXB5gqP92WlGcSaSVArww-FHy3vMW6XUqjmKgUWSWC8b9B9oigbxfBZx3YKWowNrDvzn1V0til2S33DVm6cS24xWPPkWzogEb04qMcqSMauU5yirr6vdVqpgcuxbNtkbd4hoc4OCiXfcw6-6jLO1yaYy20FuFlgWTo2T6aEeTDTDvIZ9_9HGF1EVvLwuxjxAgfldDYs0mc=w745-h1336-no

What it started with. I need to make an equitation or just get one of the apps to track it.

1660825404519.png

And I just made a (floral) gin one too, but it's only about half full. Now I'm low on gin, so I can get a few more bottles to continue that journey.

1660825523804.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Any recommendations about how to use it?
Tiki cocktails. :)
I’ve seen mention of using it in place of- or as part of- any sweet component in a classic cocktail, even a rye Manhattan.
Iirc there is a classic called corn and oil that is a good aged rum and falernum. Never tried it and don’t recall if it has lime juice or just a twist….

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Just did some more Paper Planes.
Getting low on Aperol and Nonino. :(

bkdc

Forum Donor
4A260232-955D-48DF-9C82-5E77EA7903C6.jpeg

Top shelf highland tequila blanco courtesy of the Camarena family— they have a hand in some of the most tasty traditional highland tequilas. Thank goodness there is a price ceiling on even the most premium tequila (except the extra anejos which are being priced like aged single malt Scotch)

Adam_M

Inspired by the latest conversation here, and my ever so sightly heavier wallet from a bonus, I decide to go fancy rum shopping. But I found something much more interesting, and it's amazing.

View attachment 225042
Their entire line is incredible. Their Queen's share special releases, (especially the white, whenever they make it) are a thing to behold. The hidden harbor rum that they craft specifically for mixing drinks is also outrageously fit for purpose. ...Also the bar the ostensibly made that rum for originally, Hidden Harbor, is a modern tiki gem with over 500 rums available.

Trouble Maker

Their entire line is incredible. Their Queen's share special releases, (especially the white, whenever they make it) are a thing to behold. The hidden harbor rum that they craft specifically for mixing drinks is also outrageously fit for purpose. ...Also the bar the ostensibly made that rum for originally, Hidden Harbor, is a modern tiki gem with over 500 rums available.

Love it! I felt like I stumbled on something special with that one. Ohio state controlled liquor selection is generally bad, but terrible for rum. It looks like for their rums we get the spiced or pineapple, but none of the ones you mentioned. We'll be heading through PA in a few weeks, meeting up with BiL coming via Pittsburgh to visit the in-laws down in Morgantown. I'll have to see if I can find some of the others in transit, or see if he can find some in Pittsburgh to bring to us.

bkdc

Forum Donor
5CCEFB5A-AF56-4BFC-B594-32D06C661EDB.jpeg

Opened this bottle six years ago and just taking my second drink from it. When it comes to sweet I definitely prefer rum over brandy.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Prices of my favored peaty single malt scotches has somewhat steered me to the basic Bushmills....which is kinda nice! For the price, works for sure.

Top Bottom