• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it was an excerpt in a book I have, Whisk(e)y by Stefan Gabanyi, but don't see it in there under the Japanese or Suntory (which I was thinking it was) sections....not sure where I picked that up now.....read something along the lines that only one whisky was allowed from Japan to use the nomentclature scotch but my google fu is finding some backup to the restriction of the name, but nothing about it being allowed either. Now that I look at some labels again they don't say scotch otoh.
I'd find it really weird if they really allowed something made outside Scotland to present itself as if it was, it would threaten the whole industry. I have a vague memory of someone buying stills from a Scottish distillery, it wasn't something like that?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd find it really weird if they really allowed something made outside Scotland to present itself as if it was, it would threaten the whole industry. I have a vague memory of someone buying stills from a Scottish distillery, it wasn't something like that?
I thought it was more along the lines that the Japanese company was using appropriate equipment, ingredients and distilling guidelines. When looking around found that the Japanese import a great deal of the real stuff (in bulk) and also use it in blending their own whiskeys. I'll keep looking but maybe it was more along the lines that some Scot master blender or distiller said one was quite good? :)

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it was more along the lines that the Japanese company was using appropriate equipment, ingredients and distilling guidelines. When looking around found that the Japanese import a great deal of the real stuff (in bulk) and also use it in blending their own whiskeys. I'll keep looking but maybe it was more along the lines that some Scot master blender or distiller said one was quite good? :)
I can definitely see them correctly getting the nod on quality and authenticity from someone qualified, [cynic mode on] especially if that someone was in the pay of a parent company that owns distillery's in both countries.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can definitely see them correctly getting the nod on quality and authenticity from someone qualified, [cynic mode on] especially if that someone was in the pay of a parent company that owns distillery's in both countries.
I did see that Suntory (or rather now Beam Suntory) had purchased Bowmore....

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1646977183608.png

Craigellachie 13 with green chartreuse, amaro, simple syrup and an orange twist IIRC.

Then a Penicillin cocktail with Laphroaig 10. Was given a choice of Classic Laddie and Port Charlotte 10 as well.

This was at a tiny local bar hidden behind a curtain at the back of a Mediterranean restaurant. Entrance is totally unmarked. Mixes custom cocktails with incredible single malts. More than fair pricing.

Me, gesturing at the Bruichladdich, assorted independent bottlings from Signatory Vintage, Gordon and Macphail et al., Laphroaig 10, Balblair 12 among other bottles: So, do you guys get a lot of people coming in for pours of these whiskies? That seems like a pretty high-end collection of niche single malts people wouldn't use for mixing.

Bartender: No, we use them all for mixing.

Me: :oops:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Some years ago... (10+) I came across Angostura 1919 Rum...

An Industrial Dark Rum, with the benefit of fantastic true smoothness... easily sipped, with real depth of flavour.

1919-700ml.jpg

Then they introduced a new bottle (cheap and nasty version) - and guess what - they introduced a "new blend" - also cheap and nasty...

That rich smoothness is gone :( now it's just like most of its competitors... sigh.

Here is the new "cheap and nasty" version (yes I am being opinionated...) - I no longer purchase Angostura 1919.
To add insult to injury, the new "improved" version got a new "improved" pricing - they raised the price by 50%

1919new.jpg

If you see this one.... move on to something else.

So I am now seeking something in the way of a Dark Industrial Rum, with the smoothness and depth of flavour that the old Angostura 1919 had...

Any suggestions? (reasonably priced is a definite bonus!)

BigFKahuna

Some years ago... (10+) I came across Angostura 1919 Rum...

An Industrial Dark Rum, with the benefit of fantastic true smoothness... easily sipped, with real depth of flavour.

View attachment 191673

Then they introduced a new bottle (cheap and nasty version) - and guess what - they introduced a "new blend" - also cheap and nasty...

That rich smoothness is gone :( now it's just like most of its competitors... sigh.

Here is the new "cheap and nasty" version (yes I am being opinionated...) - I no longer purchase Angostura 1919.
To add insult to injury, the new "improved" version got a new "improved" pricing - they raised the price by 50%

View attachment 191674
If you see this one.... move on to something else.

So I am now seeking something in the way of a Dark Industrial Rum, with the smoothness and depth of flavour that the old Angostura 1919 had...

Any suggestions? (reasonably priced is a definite bonus!)
You could try English Harbour 25, or for something a bit darker perhaps Black Tot. Have you tried anything by Foursquare, they are the darling of the rum world these days.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You could try English Harbour 25, or for something a bit darker perhaps Black Tot. Have you tried anything by Foursquare, they are the darling of the rum world these days.
Notes made.... will try them if available here...

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SagamoreSpirit_Rye_CaskStrength-2022-Awards-web-768x1280.jpg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Seelbach Cocktail

1oz Bulleit Rye (traditionally, Bourbon)
1/2oz Couintreau
7 dash Angostura
7 dash Peychaud
Brut Sparkling Wine

Stir first 4 ingredients in a mixing glass with ice.
Strain into Flute
Top with Sparkling Wine
Twist of Orange

BigFKahuna

IMG_4654 2.jpeg

Usually it is Mai Tai's in the summer, and boozier mixers in the winter for before dinner drinks. Wine with dinner, but for late night listening it is most often a pour from one of my barrels. Manhattan, Negroni, Boulevardier, Martinez or Poison Arrow on tap. If it gets really Blues-y it might be a proper rum or whisky of some sort. Contrary to many, my late night listening is often louder rather than not....darned lucky my wife is not bothered by the decibels!

VMAT4

Forum Donor
smokey-joe-islay-malt-whisky.jpg

VMAT4

Forum Donor
van-bottle-201x300.png

I'm not into critical tippling tonight. This fun stuff though.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had never even bought a bottle of liquor in... decades... ages... then, in February 2022 @Target, my hand reached over and grabbed a bottle of this stuff:

202204_MonkeyShoulder.jpg

I don't even know the differences between a 'whisky', 'whiskey', 'scotch' 'malt', 'rye', 'single', 'blended', etc.
But this stuff is good, even though I have nothing to compare it to...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom