• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

haseat

~ $2300 USD
Somewhere there, yes. I got an offer from a german dealer for EUR 1150, the last auction i found in the UK finished at GBP 1600, but after Brexit UK auctions are not an option for us in the EU anymore, due to VAT etc.

Anyway, looks like I'm gonna keep it for another couple of years and enjoy more reasonably priced single malts in the meantime :).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Picked up some vinO and whiskey. Not sure about the whiskey because I was eating strawberries and the whiskey tasted sharp and medicinal after the strawberries. So I need to wait for awhile and then taste test the whiskey again.
BtVM9ZrCUAABcaz

3245_m.jpg

mansr

Major Contributor
Someone at my local pub must have ordered a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh, because it was sitting (unopened) on the whisky shelf. As it was a quiet night, we (staff and a couple of regulars) thought it a good idea to sample it. It was a good idea. Then we checked the price. That was not a good idea.

Aberlour-700ml-Abunadh-Bottle-Render-1-1.png-1-1.png

mansr

Major Contributor
Someone at my local pub must have ordered a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh, because it was sitting (unopened) on the whisky shelf.
Turns out there was a delivery mixup and someone managed to hold onto that bottle.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Turns out there was a delivery mixup and someone managed to hold onto that bottle.

If I’ll ever have the honor drinking whisky with you, I know what bottle to get!

And the good news, it’s “only” $120/750ml at a local Total Wine & More! :)

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
joe-exotic-tiger-king.gif

Local bar I go to has a whisky auction. There's a unicorn bottle - a 1969 Springbank aged over 30 years - that has ludicrously low bids compared to what it usually goes for. My bid is winning at the moment. It will be by far the most expensive bottle I have ever bought but, simultaneously, it is not a price so divorced from reality I can't fathom rationing and drinking it on very special occasions (in contrast to Japanese whisky). But it has recently sold for between 4 to 6 times what I will pay if I win. That'd bring me a long way towards my endgame setup of nCore active horns + BACCH + multisub, which makes selling it on difficult to ignore.

It's just that I'm not sure if I can find a buyer who'd be willing to pay that price locally because the prices I'm seeing are elsewhere. But never did I think a unicorn bottle like that would be within my grasp.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They ain't kidding.
abgob.05yo.jpg

This might be one of the lowest age statement whisky's from a popular distillery. I've long been a fan of younger peat monsters, this doesn't disappoint, full on Ardbeg. This should be clashing with the Beth Orton I'm currently playing, but it's working for me.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, has Scotland/official Scotch entity had issues with that?
Not that I'm aware of, it's not being passed of as Scottish so there is nothing to complain about. The rules about what is Scottish whisky are very clear.
The rules about other countries products are similarly clear, and largely drive the way they taste different, or more accurately the rules are defined to kept the products the way they have been. The differences are interesting, they don't define quality, but they do largely explain my preferences.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I'm aware of, it's not being passed of as Scottish so there is nothing to complain about. The rules about what is Scottish whisky are very clear.
The rules about other countries products are similarly clear, and largely drive the way they taste different, or more accurately the rules are defined to kept the products the way they have been. The differences are interesting, they don't define quality, but they do largely explain my preferences.
I was just thinking back to something I'd read a long time ago about how only one Japanese distillery had been blessed by the Scots....

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just thinking back to something I'd read a long time ago about how only one Japanese distillery had been blessed by the Scots....
The Japanese stuff is good, I'd be intrigued to know what was said.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Japanese stuff is good, I'd be intrigued to know what was said.
I thought it was an excerpt in a book I have, Whisk(e)y by Stefan Gabanyi, but don't see it in there under the Japanese or Suntory (which I was thinking it was) sections....not sure where I picked that up now.....read something along the lines that only one whisky was allowed from Japan to use the nomentclature scotch but my google fu is finding some backup to the restriction of the name, but nothing about it being allowed either. Now that I look at some labels again they don't say scotch otoh.

Top Bottom