• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently, Aldi have several own-brand whiskies, including a supposed Islay: https://scotchwhisky.com/whiskypedia/3162/aldi/

Yep, relabeled from an established (but undisclosed) distillery.

There’s a new Aldi in our area, but in this state, supermarkets can’t sell spirits. I doubt I’ll find the Aldi brands at an ABC store. :(

Rick “Bowmore at an ABC store isn’t much more expensive than the equivalent of ‘under 50 quid’, however” Denney

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Yep, relabeled from an established (but undisclosed) distillery.

There’s a new Aldi in our area, but in this state, supermarkets can’t sell spirits. I doubt I’ll find the Aldi brands at an ABC store. :(

Rick “Bowmore at an ABC store isn’t much more expensive than the equivalent of ‘under 50 quid’, however” Denney
Supermarkets can sell spirits here, but no Scotch or spirits at Aldi.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' and Tesco 'Finest' used to have an Islay single malt to go with their Highland and Speyside ones, but it looks like they don't any more. Aldi still do. The tale I heard soon after they started doing the Islay one was that they were a relabeled 10 year old from one of the distilleries, but exactly which distillery changed from time to time, so the next bottle may not be the same as the current one. The person who told me claimed industry knowledge, something I wasn't in a position to verify. I never got round to doing a taste test.

vlydog

1624627422569.png

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' and Tesco 'Finest' used to have an Islay single malt to go with their Highland and Speyside ones, but it looks like they don't any more. Aldi still do. The tale I heard soon after they started doing the Islay one was that they were a relabeled 10 year old from one of the distilleries, but exactly which distillery changed from time to time, so the next bottle may not be the same as the current one. The person who told me claimed industry knowledge, something I wasn't in a position to verify. I never got round to doing a taste test.
That fits with my understanding of how it works as well. There is nothing to say they were buying the best casks from wherever distillery either, similar to the situation with a lot of independent bottlers, they get what they can get. Given the popularity of Islay they probably got outbid, so stopped doing them.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using my bourbon to make cocktails - now I don't have to pour it down the drain or use it as weed killer.

JuliaCoder

Highland Park, aged in Sherry barrels, no iodine in the peat, a hint of maple syrup. 12 yr is good enough, 15 smoother but twice as much, 18 was an expensive disappointment. All Scotch used to be aged in Sherry barrels but there aren't enough of them now. Used Bourbon barrels became the norm when the US required Bourbon be aged in new ones.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Waste`n away again in Caipirinia-vill

It's been years since I made one but I spied a bottle of cashaca at the back of the liquor cabinet
And We had limes
Brother... Those limes don't look muddled. I worry bout you.

eddantes

Of getting your drink on? No. Of making Caipirinha... Possibly. Enjoy! I literally just downed mine 5mins before your post :) Might need to repeat...

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Lol! You have a keen eye! Used a lime press..... Is that against the rules?

It's been about 20 plus years since I was in Brazil.... This drink brings back some fond memories
You have to cut them into chunks and smash them up with the sugar. You don't need a muddler. Get creative if you don't have one!

Destination: Moon

You have to cut them into chunks and smash them up with the sugar. You don't need a muddler. Get creative if you don't have one!

Your right - I used a shaker to mix the sugar that was laying on the bottom of the glass. Thinking back to the ones I drank in Brazil, there must have been 4 or 5oz of booze in each one. The limes in those were giant and always sliced and muddled

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
My favorite sipping rum. Compare with XO cognacs!

Hmmm…no comments on this. I would almost (but not quite) offer to buy a bottle for tasting.

On the other hand, I am in Winter Park, Florida…if you happen to be in the area, PM me and I will provide a tasting!

Top Bottom