• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spinorama Measurements of the Apple Homepod

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sausalito Audio Works - an acoustics research consultancy that has worked with Audi and B&O (you might have seen their audio lenses on the Audi A8 or the Beolab 5) - recently released Spinorama charts of the Homepod. Performs just as one might expect an omni array to measure, with sidelobes appearing in the top octave but decent below that. Here's the chart:

1556438432702.png

Data is anechoic down to 500Hz.

The full report may be found here.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
While I imagine many of us are familiar with spin-o-rama stuff, Sausalito's measurements of the 708P may be a handy reference for a more conventional speaker (and is conveniently in the same format and scale):

Sausalito 708P.jpg

Source here.

The Homepod looks pretty cool, honestly - but I have a soft spot for omni.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I imagine many of us are familiar with spin-o-rama stuff, Sausalito's measurements of the 708P may be a handy reference for a more conventional speaker (and is conveniently in the same format and scale):

View attachment 25413

Source here.

The Homepod looks pretty cool, honestly - but I have a soft spot for omni.

Massive economies of scale in R&D and manufacturing showing here, when they can just easily snap up the likes of Tomlinson Holman (THX) and give him what I'd imagine a blank check unlike any audio company (even Harman) can muster. I can't think of any "pure" audio company (least of all the regressive cottage industries like ATC) that can engineer a DSP omni array using a multiple-entry horn with good FR and directivity horizontally, and stuff it in such a small enclosure. Would be a dream to have the same tech in a less compromised form factor (think with a 7-inch woofer, or even floorstanding), and removing - or at least making defeatable - features like the dynamic EQ that compromise accuracy.

Last edited:

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Massive economies of scale in R&D and manufacturing showing here […] Would be a dream to have the same tech in a less compromised form factor (think with a 7-inch woofer, or even floorstanding), and removing - or at least making defeatable - features like the dynamic EQ that compromise accuracy.

I would suggest that what is truly exciting is where they can go with new form factors.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I can't get excited about this stuff. For me, it's 'meh'. I think speakers are 'solved'. If you see a bump or a wrinkle on your response, you can fix it - and you many not even be able to hear it anyway.

Chipboard, plastic, glue, screws, copper wire, magnets, foam rubber, little circuit boards with chips on them. That's it. And for the higher tech versions, lose the chipboard.

The only exciting speakers are big speakers that have some style about them.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't get excited about this stuff. For me, it's 'meh'. I think speakers are 'solved'. If you see a bump or a wrinkle on your response, you can fix it - and you many not even be able to hear it...

But our speakers are usually built to specs as wide as +/-3dB from 20hz to 20Khz.
Imagine if we allowed that with our amps.

Suppose one could correct it with DSP, but then you still can't correct the harmonic distortion or IMD.

The best speakers have a THD of about 0.1%, and usually only at selected frequencies (usually the midrange, or treble). To get bass of 50Hz and below down to about 1% THD, you either have play really quietly, or use really good woofers.

And by the very best speakers, I’m talking large ones, as tall as a grown man...

Here's one I measured earlier- 96dB @1m.

Statements 96dB 1m percentage.jpg

Meanwhile here we are complaining about DACs or amps that do “only do 0.006% THD"

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
But our speakers are usually built to specs as wide as +/-3dB from 20hz to 20Khz.
Imagine if we allowed that with our amps.

Suppose one could correct it with DSP, but then you still can't correct the harmonic distortion or IMD.

The best speakers have a THD of about 0.1%, and usually only at selected frequencies (usually the midrange, or treble). To get bass of 50Hz and below down to about 1% THD, you either have play really quietly, or use really good woofers.

And by the very best speakers, I’m talking large ones, as tall as a grown man...

Here's one I measured earlier- 96dB @1m.

View attachment 27318

Meanwhile here we are complaining about DACs or amps that do “only do 0.006% THD"

I wonder which has more distortion, my speakers or my turntable?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Btw, no need to show all those harmonic distortion components, showing just THD would be fine.

The components give you a better idea of the source of the distortion. Is it symmetrical or asymmetrical with cone/dome displacement? The former will have a higher second, the latter will have a higher third, and that can give you a clue about the coil/magnet and suspension.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The components give you a better idea of the source of the distortion. Is it symmetrical or asymmetrical with cone/dome displacement? The former will have a higher second, the latter will have a higher third, and that can give you a clue about the coil/magnet and suspension.

I fully agree, but he was making a general point about THD without showing the total curve but 10 harmonic components instead. I would rather see THD and eventually 2nd and 3rd harmonic components but not 10 of them without total THD.

Top Bottom