• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speed Reading DAC Audio Measurements

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am baaaaaaack!!! :) A new video in a series to become proficient in reading measurements, in this case, DAC measurements. The video itself is rather long but hopefully once you watch it, you can scan a text review in a minute or two.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keyword here is that SINAD is good to PREDICT the overall performance of the DAC, not that is an end all be all of measurements. The remaining ones give a better overall picture but Amir nails it: when SINAD is very high, very likely all the rest is excellent as well.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it like YouTube on 2x speed?

GaryH

Major Contributor
Keyword here is that SINAD is a good to PREDICT the overall performance of the DAC, not that is an end all be all measurements. The remaining ones give a better overall picture but Amir nails it: when SINAD is very high, very likely all the rest is excellent as well.
Except it doesn't need to be very high for all the measurements to exhibit audible transparency (what actually matters) when the device is placed in the entire audio reproduction chain which includes invariably the weakest link in that chain, the transducers.

Sonny1

I am baaaaaaack!!! :) A new video in a series to become proficient in reading measurements, in this case, DAC measurements. The video itself is rather long but hopefully once you watch it, you can scan a text review in a minute or two.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing and putting in the time to produce this video. I’m still going through it but have no doubt it’s going to be very educational and entertaining. Not going to read any more of this thread for fear of a spoiler!

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Yeah! Doing a happy dance! Educational Videos with Professor Amir…;)

1679347973212.gif

Absolutely your Best Video yet! I finally have a better understanding of the graphics and charts you employ. Great review and comparison with different preforming devices. Bravo Zulu Sir.

Last edited:

VQR

Keyword here is that SINAD is good to PREDICT the overall performance of the DAC, not that is an end all be all of measurements. The remaining ones give a better overall picture but Amir nails it: when SINAD is very high, very likely all the rest is excellent as well.
See, you're wrong cuz everybody knows ASR only listens to SINAD. The rest of the measurement suite doesn't exist! :p

Multicore

Major Contributor
You are pronouncing SINAD wrong. Sy-Nad is wrong. Sin-Ad is right. :P

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it like YouTube on 2x speed?
:) I was going to actually speak even faster. :) I have two speeds when it comes to presentations: slow and ultrafast. I have been using the former for my youtube videos but with some complaining about length, I decided to go faster this time. You all let me know which flavor you like better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are pronouncing SINAD wrong. Sy-Nad is wrong. Sin-Ad is right. :P
I found the source of that silliness. It came from the Audio Precision book on measurements where the author (one of the founders of AP), mispronounced "seanad." Seems people are googling and finding that note and pronounce it the same. If they had heard any one actually using it (common in RF high frequency talk), they would have known to pronounce like I do. I don't know how the AP author got it wrong given his experience in the field.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
:) I was going to actually speak even faster. :) I have two speeds when it comes to presentations: slow and ultrafast. I have been using the former for my youtube videos but with some complaining about length, I decided to go faster this time. You all let me know which flavor you like better.
Perfect speed for us numbskulls too keep up. You hit this video out of the park! A thousand likes.

dscottj

I'd mostly figured out how to read the top part of a review, but the rest of it left me scratching my head to this day (been regularly visiting for ~ 2 years now). This was a nice summary of what they all mean. Don't forget to eventually get around to speakers!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Going to watch. Hope it's DACs for Dummy's for my sake :facepalm:

Boxermotor

Amir, thank you! This was incredibly helpful to me as someone who appreciates high fidelity sound and is learning about the equipment that can reproduce it well. Over the short time I've been a member I've come to appreciate your gifting as a teacher (imparting knowledge in a winsome way), coach (endeavoring to make others better), and collaborator (creating the space for a robust exchange of ideas).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you so much everyone. What would you like the next speed run video be about? I am thinking of either headphone amplifiers or speakers.

Top Bottom